3 Reasons I'm optimistic....

VolsFan1972

1) Pruitt has come in and fixed our field goal situation in < 1 year. I don't know how Butch could mess that up so bad this first time in years I don't expect to miss chip shots

2) Pruitt's on side kick showed his aggressiveness and how quickly he can adjust to take advantage of the situation. How long have I waited for a coach that wanted to win instead of one that just wasn't trying to lose

3) At the end of the second half, they executed the 2 min offense very well to get the FG and momentum. Butch would've assumed victory formation and went to the locker room

Your thoughts?

good post OP! just want to add my favorite thing that im most impressed with is how we have progressed!...so refreshing to know we have a coaching staff that knows how to coach!....I doubt we lose to wv with the team we have now....we have grown since the first game...I mean we actually have an offense now!...I def would not be surprised to see this team compete with bama either!...I love how these kids fight for a win...and after all… the bammers are comin to OUR HOUSE!...fans need to show up big on Saturday and get behind these VOLS!!!...GBO!!!

Reactions: savannahfan
i think you at least saw what this team can do if they don't get in their own way. we made mistakes....we had penalties that were not very timely, we still missed tackles etc....

but we avoided the major, game breaking mistakes, and conversely , we made some plays at specific times that we would have to make to win a game like this. be it the 3rd down conversions in the 2nd half, the play by Bryce Thompson to force a field goal when it was 7-3...that wa a huge play to keep it to a one score game there. and it was very earlly in the game.

and getting the 3 and out in the 2nd half, early, after we gave the momentum back to them with the long TD to schwartz.

to even get to the point where we could take the lead or build on it, the defense made some very key plays (aside from the turnovers) that kept the game in strking distance, and we never let it get away from us.

we gave oursleves a chance. and we took adavantage of it.

it really was a great team win. it took the clumination of all those plays over the course of the game to get there.

I love going for it on 4th down.

Since I was young I've said there are 100's of reasons I wouldn't make a good HC, but 1 is I'm going for on 4th and 4 or less almost every time. I'm glad he doesn't do that.

Since I was young I've said there are 100's of reasons I wouldn't make a good HC, but 1 is I'm going for on 4th and 4 or less almost every time. I'm glad he doesn't do that.
and even better, we didn't give up a thing after we didn't make it. iirc i think we forced a 3 and out after that 4th down attempt.

1) Pruitt has come in and fixed our field goal situation in < 1 year. I don't know how Butch could mess that up so bad this first time in years I don't expect to miss chip shots

2) Pruitt's on side kick showed his aggressiveness and how quickly he can adjust to take advantage of the situation. How long have I waited for a coach that wanted to win instead of one that just wasn't trying to lose

3) At the end of the second half, they executed the 2 min offense very well to get the FG and momentum. Butch would've assumed victory formation and went to the locker room

Your thoughts?
Definitely a different approach. Different strokes for different folks. It just that Butch's strokes just didn't work on the field or in anyone's mind. Players, fans, press,,, no one. Won't explain try to explain what I thought of Butch's strokes........

Reactions: tbh
good post OP! just want to add my favorite thing that im most impressed with is how we have progressed!...so refreshing to know we have a coaching staff that knows how to coach!....I doubt we lose to wv with the team we have now....we have grown since the first game...I mean we actually have an offense now!...I def would not be surprised to see this team compete with bama either!...I love how these kids fight for a win...and after all… the bammers are comin to OUR HOUSE!...fans need to show up big on Saturday and get behind these VOLS!!!...GBO!!!

Hell, Vol fans always show up. This time we need to participate 120% from before until the end.

I'm digging the tendency for aggressive, "nothing to lose" calls by the coaching staff...that, and whatever they've been doing in practice to encourage fewer avoidable mistakes.

I can remember in times past when Tennessee would kick on THIRD down. Seem to work way back then. I know, things have changed, rules etc., But when you are as good as the defenses were back then, you could do it.

I like Pruitt's honesty, he's plain as an old shoe, but always says what he means and means what he says. In today's world that's rare trait and one that players and fans should be really be proud of.
I like Jeremy Pruitt and hope he has the success neccessary to remain our football coach for a very long time.
Go Vols

Reactions: tbh and njvols

He also said in coaches show that he should have gone for it on 4th down on Aub 3 yard line instead of field goal. I think more than anything, he's trying to instill the "we're gonna go for the win every single time" aggressiveness to get all the passiveness out of the team. Though don't expect much this Sat, I do expect that we will attack. Will be interesting to watch Pruitt balance blitzes w/ knowing we've got to limit Bama being able to scorch us on quick scores like they've been doing w/ everyone else they've played.

that is an onside kick. I am not sure why more people dont try this. Kick the hell out of it right at someone...the odds of them catching it are far less and then it becomes a fumble.

Reactions: Obsessed
Dude, his onside kicking game is wicked!! That might be my favorite thing about him to this point. I want to see him onside kick the opening kickoff 😂
This.
Versus Bama I would onside kick every time. Fake punts. Double reverses. Do it all. Y not.

VN Store

Back