Mid-season status & state of the program going forward...

NighthawkVol

Coming into 2018, I hoped for 6 wins and a bowl game. I didn't necessarily predict it, but hope and predict are two different things. Of course, I'm not happy with a 6-6 season at Tennessee, but making a bowl and getting an extra month of practice would be huge for this program going into Year 2. And when new coaches take over a rebuilding program, Year 2 is typically when a jump is made. So I want a successful (bowl season) 2018 to set up a jump in 2019. At the midway point, Tennessee is 3-3 with a signature win on the road under Pruitt's belt. Losing steaks have ended, both in terms of UT's overall SEC losing streak and UT's streak against the SEC West. Not to mention Auburn itself.

So here's my take on where Tennessee is right now and where it's heading in 2019:

Quarterback:

Guarantano has improved as much as anyone in the SEC this season. Not just from last year to this, but also as the season has progressed. He's going through progressions, he's accurate, he's deliberate, and he's on time. Oh, and he's tough. With two more years of eligibility remaining, Tennessee has its QB for the foreseeable future. In 2019, he'll be one of the top 3 in the SEC. With Shrout and Maurer waiting in the wings, this position is set for awhile.

Running Back:

Again, Tennessee is young and talented here. Chandler is a dynamic playmaker. Jordan is a solid pounder and when Banks gets his fumble problems corrected, he'll be very good. All are sophomores or freshmen. I think Aaron Beasley will be a RB at UT and I also think UT will flip Eric Gray. Those are your 5 for 2019. Should be a good group.

Wide Receiver:

There is a less than 50/50 chance that both Calloway and Jennings both go pro early. If anything, one may leave and another may stay, but I think both will be back. Along with Palmer, they're forming one of the best groups in the SEC. Keep in mind Murphy and Tillman are young guys with a lot of talent. David Johnson may be our new Kippy Brown. Tennessee will add Keaton and another stud like Khafre Brown to this group next season and it will again be among the best in the SEC. It's hard to put into words how much better they've gotten since last season and that's a complete reflection of David Johnson. Because of him, I expect Murphy and Tillman to make huge improvements next year.

Tight End/H-Back:

Wood-Anderson is more than solid and I noticed Bumphus played a lot against Auburn. He still needs to add some weight, but when he does, I think he could be a weapon. I also like Wolf a lot, but he's not a blocker, he's a receiving TE. Pope shows flashes, but should probably be used more as a blocking Fullback. Tennessee adds two freshmen it likes next season. This could be a very good group, but all need to make some strides going into 2019.

Offensive Line:

Obviously, this is the group that needs to improve most. It's also a position that needs time to improve because it requires physical changes to the body (unless it's someone special like Trey Smith), so we've seen less improvement throughout the season than we have at other position. I have a lot more faith in this strength program under Fitzgerald to improve the overall effectiveness of this group. Here are a few things that I think needs to (and will) happen:
-Trey Smith needs to play Guard. He's not a true LT. He's really struggled there. But without any other LTs on the team, he's had to play out of position. Next year, he won't have to. Because...
-Someone else will play LT. It will either be Wayna Morris (or possibly Wright if we land him), Jahmir Johnson (who is really more of an OT than a Guard, given his athleticism, but needs to add about 20 lbs.), or Marcus Tatum (who is the most "true" LT on the team, given his skill set, but I think they're trying to get him a redshirt).
-Jerome Carvin will improve and lock down a Guard spot or the Center spot and be very good.
-Chance Hall will be a year removed from his injury/surgery and contribute far more next season.

There are a number of possible starting line combos, but I'll predict this one:
LT: Morris
LG: Smith
C: Carvin
RG: Hall
RT: J. Johnson

Top Reserves: Kennedy, R. Johnson, Locklear, Tatum. If we land Wright, he's immediately a possible starter.

Defensive Line:

We've definitely seen improvement here. Alexis Johnson has made a huge improvement. Phillips and Tuttle have both gotten better. Emmitt Gooden has improved as the year has gone on and has yet to reach his ceiling. Obviously, the coaching at this position is very good. That bodes well for the future because, with the loss of Tuttle, Phillips, and Johnson, this group will be the only one that takes a significant hit going into 2019. We will probably start an all-JUCO front next season with Gooden at NT, S. Williams at one DE, and Middleton at the other. We will need Mincey, Butler, Garland, and Emerson to step up and provide depth. I have confidence that this staff can develop them as they've shown with the 3 seniors.

Linebackers:

When you talk about players who have improved the most, Darrell Taylor has to be in that discussion. He'll be a RSSr and is developing into a stud. Deandre Johnson also looks good at the other OLB spot. I'd like to see Jordan Allen improve some to provide depth. He should have a chance for more PT the rest of the way with Kongbo out. Also, let's not forget that JJ Peterson will be good to go in 2019. I'd expect him to play the last 4 games of the year to preserve his redshirt. If he's ready, maybe he plays against Bama with Bituli out. Regardless, Phillips, Johnson, Bituli, Peterson, Kirkland, and Sapp will all return next year. Tennessee adds the best JUCO ILB in America to that group and could possibly add Pappoe, To'oto', and/or Bogle to that group. This should be a huge strength in 2019, as well as for the rest of 2018.

Secondary:

Thompson and Taylor have exceeded any expectations we should place on freshmen. I'm still not a Buchanan fan, but he has gotten better this year. Pruitt seems to think he can be very good (he's said as much). I am not a Micah Abernathy fan, but I like what I've seen from Flowers so far. I hope he's back sooner than later. Flowers and Warrior at Safety, Thompson and Taylor at CB, and either Shamburger or Jackson at NB makes a solid secondary next year. Maybe more than solid, because I think they're pretty darn solid right now. Throw in the 4* freshmen we're bringing in in Fields, Burrell, Harris, and McCollough (and maybe Watson), and you've got the makings of an awesome group.

Special Teams:

Another area where we've been very good. Obviously, the Butch teams were great at returns and we haven't seen that from this year's group, but the rule changes have all but taken away kick returns. However, we finally have a good FG kicker, Doyle has been an awesome punter, and Brooks puts it in the end zone on every kickoff. All those guys are freshmen or sophomores, so this will be a strength in 2019.

Coaching:

Overall, we have to be excited about the coaching. Players have developed. The culture and attitude is slowly but surely changing. The overall team has improved, they play to win, and they expected to win Saturday. Also, it's telling of great coaching when Tennessee played lights out coming out of a bye week.

Oh...one other thing...Auburn had 10 points and two long drives in its first two possessions. Tennessee's defense shut them down after that. That's adjustments. Coaching. Been awhile since we've seen that.

Remaining 2018 Schedule:

Alabama (Home)- Loss
South Carolina (Road)- Swing Game
Charlotte (Home)- Win
Kentucky (Home)- Probable Loss
Missouri (Home)- Swing Game
Vanderbilt (Road)- Swing Game

That's two probable losses and one win. Tennessee will need to win two of the three swing games to make a bowl. It won't be easy, but if this team sticks together and keeps improving, it's very doable. I'll predict that they keep getting better, lose to Bama and Kentucky, but beat Charlotte, Missouri, and Vanderbilt to get to 6-6. Maybe a Music City Bowl? If this team makes a bowl, I like this staff's chances with a month to prepare.

2019 Schedule:

Georgia State
BYU
Chattanooga
at Florida
OPEN
Georgia
Mississippi State
at Alabama
South Carolina
UAB
at Kentucky
OPEN
at Missouri
Vanderbilt

With the continued improvement this team is making, the influx of talent that the 2019 recruiting class will provide, and one of the more manageable schedules we've seen in awhile, Tennessee should win 9-10 games at least in 2019. With some luck, the Vols could win more.

I love the BYU non-conference game early. It's a big name opponent that will challenge Tennessee early, but it's at Neyland and Tennessee should win that. BYU loses its best playmakers from this season. I also love the Mississippi State draw in Knoxville. State's best players are seniors and I don't think Morehead will replace them like Mullen did. That should be a win. First time we could say that about our rotating West team in a long time.

And we're getting revenge at Florida. Don't think Pruitt won't have his team ready for that one. Which means that Tennessee-Georgia in Neyland may be for the SEC East.

Last edited:
Nice post. I would think that starting line would look more like this next year:

LT: J. Johnson (20 lbs heavier)/ Morris
LG: Smith/ Johnson
C: Kennedy/ Carvin
RG: Hall/ Calbert
RT: Richmond/ Wright

Reserves being Locklear, Tatum, Niehaus, Lane, Lampley. Redshirt McBride and Akporoghene

Nice post. I would think that starting line would look more like this next year:

LT: J. Johnson (20 lbs heavier)/ Morris
LG: Smith/ Johnson
C: Kennedy/ Carvin
RG: Hall/ Calbert
RT: Richmond/ Wright

Reserves being Locklear, Tatum, Niehaus, Lane, Lampley. Redshirt McBride and Akporoghene

I do like the idea of J. Johnson at LT. I just don’t trust Richmond at either OT spot. I think/hope Morris or Wright will beat him out.

UK doesn’t just come into Neyland and win. We will beat them down.

I agree....Ky schedule will get physical just like ours but this game could be a toss-up by the time they show up. Plus, we owe them for last year which was a game controlled by the officials that worked to KYs advantage. A somewhat healthy team looking for win number 6 at Neyland should be a game Tennessee wins.....

I agree....Ky schedule will get physical just like ours but this game could be a toss-up by the time they show up. Plus, we owe them for last year which was a game controlled by the officials that worked to KYs advantage. A somewhat healthy team looking for win number 6 at Neyland should be a game Tennessee wins.....

Kentucky is good, y’all. That will be an extremely tough game to win.

Speaking of 2019, I’m guessing Stoops is at a bigger job next year.

There is no doubt that they are good...They play GA the previous week to and prior to that Missouri and Vanderbilt. No open date....they will exhaust it all in those three weeks to win or return to the KY of old.

Ky played Texas A&M, and plays Vanderbilt, Missouri, GA prior to Tennessee.

Tennessee played Auburn, and plays Alabama, South Carolina, Charlotte prior to Kentucky. Our schedule helps.

This game will come down to survival of the fittest through this grind and could be a matter of who is the least banged up. GA-KY vs Charlotte-TN the week prior will work in our favor.

We are at home....if we somehow beat USCe follow it up with Charlotte look for the kitchen sink to come out against KY to secure the 6th win of the season.....

I'd be surprised.

31-37 overall, 0-2 in bowl games.

Like where?

If something else comes up on Urban, he's out at Ohio State. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see them target Stoops, an Ohio native who has successfully recruited that state at UK.

There have been rumblings that certain NFL teams are covetous of Lincoln Riley. With Sean McVeigh's success with the Rams, teams around the league are looking for the next young hotshot offensive mind and Riley fits that mold to many. I could see him going to the Texans to work with Watson, Hopkins, Fuller, et al. If that happens, Oklahoma could target Stoops.

This all assumes that Kentucky continues to win and doesn't go in the tank. But if he goes 9-3 or better at Kentucky, some big time programs will have interest. And they should.

I'd be surprised.

31-37 overall, 0-2 in bowl games.

Enormous rebuilding job at Kentucky. He's gone 2-10, 5-7, 5-7, 7-6, 7-6, and sits at 5-1 right now. Kentucky isn't a place one can just come in and sign a top 10 recruiting class to get the rebuild going like you can at Tennessee. But he's clearly getting the job done and his trend is phenomenal at a place like UK.

Reactions: beamerman
Enormous rebuilding job at Kentucky. He's gone 2-10, 5-7, 5-7, 7-6, 7-6, and sits at 5-1 right now. Kentucky isn't a place one can just come in and sign a top 10 recruiting class to get the rebuild going like you can at Tennessee. But he's clearly getting the job done and his trend is phenomenal at a place like UK.
Everytime UK hires a coach its a major rebuilding job. He's having a great season (to date), but its not out of the question that they finish with 1 more win that last year either. Historically he's pretty average compared to the other coaches win %. He's got a lot of work left to really separate himself.

If he finishes 9-3 or better, he’s really separated himself.

And yes, Kentucky is a difficult build. That’s my point. Getting them to 8-9 wins is like getting an Oklahoma or Ohio State to 11 or 12. Which is why I think he’ll be highly coveted if he does so.

VN Store

Back