Worst College Football Coaches of All Time

Frankly, and I know I'll get flamed for this, I would not include Kiffhole or Jones in that group. With Kiffhole, it's hard to gauge on his one year here. I never liked him, and still don't, but I don't think we have enough evidence to convict him to this list. As for Butch, he inherited a terrible mess from Dools. He got 2 successive 9 win seasons before flaming out in his 5th year. In my view, he started to move the needle upwards from where he started.

Frankly, and I know I'll get flamed for this, I would not include Kiffhole or Jones in that group. With Kiffhole, it's hard to gauge on his one year here. I never liked him, and still don't, but I don't think we have enough evidence to convict him to this list. As for Butch, he inherited a terrible mess from Dools. He got 2 successive 9 win seasons before flaming out in his 5th year. In my view, he started to move the needle upwards from where he started.
He flamed out in his 4th year when he lost to SC and Vandy to miss the good bowl games IMO

Given the talent he had at his disposal in 2015-2017, and never seeing more than 5 conference wins, Butch will go down as one of the most underachieving coaches in history, but there are guys on that list who had single digit win records.

Butch isn't even that bad.

Last edited:
SIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some Vols fans still not able to just let go. Can you at least try to revel in the Pruitt era or pretend to? Your girls friends are gone, they ain't coming back, plus they married somebody else. But if you just can't, can't let go, perhaps this is for you:

I tried so hard to forget you
but I wont move on
I changed my ways, lived without you
but it wont go on
I find my heart still holding on
and it wont let my feelings to find their home

The more I try to ignore you
my heart points to you
and when I try to run from you
my mind thinks of you
I find myself crying at night
and my tears wont stop falling
coz my heart just stops from beating
until i say your name

But I will tell my mind. convince it
I dont need you, i dont
I will tell my heart, convince it
I dont love you, i dont
and I will tell myself
that I can live without you
oh no
Though id be lying
at least im trying to move on
yeah

I tried to spend all my time
To find someone new
Someone who could take this love
That once was for you
But I don't wanna fool someone
Just to make me feel alright
I need to get you off my mind
And so I will find a way
Though id be lying
at least im trying to move on

Last edited:
Dobbs made Butch look as good as possible. Do not get it twisted butch was a terrible coach

As did Barnett, Sutton, Berry, Kamara (although limited), Kelly, and numerous others that are in the pros. That much talent in the pros and we barely won 9 games in 2016. We were lucky to have a weakened East Division and weak out of conference schedule.

Reactions: Doberman
We (UT) had three coaches make the top twenty, namely Kiffin, Dooley, and Jones. Is anyone surprised?

http://www.hooch.net/these-are-the-...&D4cHN=1&D4cTCHN=1&D_4_6cALL=1&D_4_6_10cALL=1
How in the world is Kiffin on that list. Like him or not, the guy is an outstanding football coach, period. He did some really good things his 1 year here, he ā€œfailedā€ at USC going 28-15 in 3.5 years there, was one of the best if not the very best OC in the country while at Bama, and he had an historic first year at lowly FAU last season. I donā€™t care what you think of him personally, but he doesnā€™t belong on any list at any time for any reason with Butch Jones and Derek Dooley.

Butch belongs on the list of corniest coaches but not worst ever. Kiffin is not a bad coach by any stretch.
Al Davis, me, Pat Haden, and soon-to-be Florida Atlantic would disagree with you. I classify kiffins main attribute as arrogant ineptitude.

Jones, after an awful 1st year, started off pretty quickly. Finished strong in year 2, and was ahead of pace/a year early in 2015, year 3.......but showed he just wasnā€™t up for the job by blowing 2 games that were essentially won, Florida and Oklahoma.

I would then argue that the wheels came off in 2016, year 4. Started with bad wins vs App State and Ohio and ended with awful, inexcusable losses vs SCar and Vandy, both of which all but negated the great efforts of his team vs Florida and Georgia. By year 5, 2017, anyone paying attention figured pretty strongly from game 1 that his time was done here.

Finally, he left the program in absolute shambles. Some talent here and there, but not nearly enough. And an absolutely broken culture that Pruitt is fighting hard to fix.

So yeah, I think he belongs on the list given that he owns the worst loss in school history, the worst Neyland loss in school history and the worst season in school history.

Would agree with you that Kiffin doesnā€™t belong anywhere near this list.

Jones, Kiffin, and Schiano have no business being on that list. Rutgers is probably the worst team in the country now and to win 10 games there is a minor miracle. Kiffin for all his flaws did turn UT around pretty quickly. Jones had three good to really good years at UT; nothing great but good.

No way I'm clicking through that, but Kiffin should not be there. And the list sucks if Sparky Woods, Brad Scott, Curley Hallman, Gerry Dinardo, Mike Dubose, Ray Goff and Woody Widenhoffer aren't on the list.

Al Davis, me, Pat Haden, and soon-to-be Florida Atlantic would disagree with you. I classify kiffins main attribute as arrogant ineptitude.
And anybody who knows what a good football coach is (Nick Saban for one) would disagree with Al Davis, Pat Haden and you.

And how do you figure ā€œsoon to be Florida Atlanticā€? He took a program that was 18-45 the previous 5 seasons, was 9-27 the previous 3 seasons....and immediately won 11 games in year 1. Heā€™s 3-3 so this year, has 14 wins in his first 20 games, which is the same that the program had in its previous 43 games. He wonā€™t be going anywhere unless he decides to leave FAU.

I dont like Kiffin in the slightest, but the fact that he is even on this list.....says something about its credibility.... Also... Having to hit the next button 20+ times to see any list will assure I do not see the entire list.

Pelini was not a bad coach at all, maybe he shouldn't be head coach because of his temperament. (I bet everyone of those Nebraska fans wishes he was there) Nebraska has an uphill battle to get where they were in the mid-90s.

67-27 during Pelini's time
19-26 since

39-17 Big Ten during Pelini's time
12-18 since

Those are huge drops and Nebraska was decent his last year.

Jones, Kiffin, and Schiano have no business being on that list. Rutgers is probably the worst team in the country now and to win 10 games there is a minor miracle. Kiffin for all his flaws did turn UT around pretty quickly. Jones had three good to really good years at UT; nothing great but good.

3 really good seasons?

Iā€™d say more like 1.5 really good seasons. 2013 was bad, 2014 finished well but not much better. 2015 was by far his best year imo, despite blowing 2 games he all but had won vs Florida and Oklahoma....even played well at Bama. 2016 had 3 good games (Fla, Ga, TAM) but was wildly disappointing after blowing the East title with inexcusable losses vs SCar and Vandy. And of course, he authored the worst season in program history in 2017.

Kiffin definitely doesn't belong there. He screwed us by leaving not by being inept

Stupid list is stupid. Its really a "List of Every Coach Who's Been Fired in the Last 50 Years" list. Many of those listed are victims of specific circumstances.

VN Store

Back