Interesting Question

lukeneyland

God Save the Heup
Does anyone remember when it became a custom to make noise while the other team had the ball. The reason I ask this is because last night I was watching the 1982 Tennessee Alabama streak breaking game. Something that I found weird was that our crowd seemed very quiet when Bama had the ball, did it just seem this way because the video quality wasn't very good? Or was crowd noise to help the defense not a thing yet? I also read that referees in the NFL could stop games in the 1980s do to excessive noise. Did the SEC maybe have a similar rule on the books? I'd love to here from you guys who were around in the 1970's and 1980's to try to get a feeling for what it was like. The history of Neyland stadium and fan culture has always fascinated me.

People were more polite back in '82.
Victorian-Sip.gif

They used to warn the crowd if the QB came out from under center complaining about noise. Then they issue a delay of game penalty if the crowd got too loud again. You'd actually have the defense trying to quiet the crowd.
That's hilarious. I can't imagine that happening at Neyland today!

Reactions: VolsnRavens
Does anyone remember when it became a custom to make noise while the other team had the ball. The reason I ask this is because last night I was watching the 1982 Tennessee Alabama streak breaking game. Something that I found weird was that our crowd seemed very quiet when Bama had the ball, did it just seem this way because the video quality wasn't very good? Or was crowd noise to help the defense not a thing yet? I also read that referees in the NFL could stop games in the 1980s do to excessive noise. Did the SEC maybe have a similar rule on the books? I'd love to here from you guys who were around in the 1970's and 1980's to try to get a feeling for what it was like. The history of Neyland stadium and fan culture has always fascinated me.
I was at that game and it was loud.

Back in the huddle days, with the quarterback under center, noise wouldn’t bother you. If you don’t change plays at the line, noise wouldn’t bother you. Random thoughts.

Reactions: RollerVol
The NFL used to have rules on excessive crowd noise. I think the home team could get a penalty. I don't think it's a rule anymore though. Seems like it was in the early 90's

Edit. Sorry OP. You covered that in your post

They used to warn the crowd if the QB came out from under center complaining about noise. Then they issue a delay of game penalty if the crowd got too loud again. You'd actually have the defense trying to quiet the crowd.
The rule is still there but it only pertains to certain people on the field, i.e. not the fans. This is the rule that prohibits the band from playing or the use of things like the cowbells at MSU when the offense comes to the line.

Back in the huddle days, with the quarterback under center, noise wouldn’t bother you. If you don’t change plays at the line, noise wouldn’t bother you. Random thoughts.
That could be true but teams ran huddle offensive systems in early 2000's and it was loud then

I was wondering about this the other day, I remember when it would happen at Neyland, when did they change the rule?

They were kicking our tail early and it was a here we go again type crowd, I was there, it was definitely loud the 2nd half! Part of the goalposts made it back to Pulaski!

I think this all started when one of the farm boys at Miss. St. tried using a cow bell to attract the cows grazing on the football field to get them off so the game could be played. Seems they need time to "clean" matter off the field and didn't want to get the cows hurt as the milk they were able to sell payed for most of the athletic dept.

VN Store

Back