Student vs Mentor

MAD

Arsenal FC, Detroit Lions
Arguably the two best coaches in football are Nick Saban in college and Bill Belichick in the NFL.

Both lost their defensive coordinators to head coaching jobs.

New England played Detroit earlier this year and nobody gave the Lions a chance. Detroit pulled off the upset convincingly at home against the Pats.

So now Tennessee and Pruitt are in the same exact situation. Go Vols, let’s do this, surprise the world.

I don't know anyone that would argue about Saban and Belichick being the best. They clearly are the best coaches. Anyone who disagrees has their head in the sand.
The NFL talent between teams is more evenly matched. Not saying we cannot beat Alabama but we have to play better than we have played in a decade to beat them this year. There is a big talent gap. Fingers crossed we play lights out and they do not.

Last edited:
I don't know anyone that would argue about Saban and Belichick are the best. They clearly are the best coaches. Anyone who disagrees has their head in the sand.
The NFL talent between teams is more evenly matched. Not saying we cannot beat Alabama but we have to play better than we have played in a decade to beat them this year. There is a big talent gap. Fingers crossed we play lights out and they do not.
You are right, this is a bigger challenge for sure.

Reactions: OneVolNation
Arguably the two best coaches in football are Nick Saban in college and Bill Belichick in the NFL.

New England played Detroit earlier this year and nobody gave the Lions a chance. Detroit pulled off the upset convincingly at home against the Pats.

So now Tennessee and Pruitt are in the same exact situation. Go Vols, let’s do this, surprise the world.
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I would say us beating Alabama this year would be one of the biggest upsets of the past 15-20 some odd years. Not quite as big as App St beating Michigan, Old Dominion running away from VA Tech, or Stanford taking down USC but it would be in a tier right below that. Alabama is absolutely destroying opponents to the point that people tune in to see if they cover these absurd 1st half betting lines. And most of the time they do cover and are up by almost 30 points at halftime every single game. People forget that the NFL is littered with talented guys on every single team. That’s why it’s called “Any Given Sunday”. The talent level in college is extremely lopsided to a certain few teams. Comparing an upset in the NFL to one in college is apples to oranges.

Reactions: MAD
I don't know anyone that would argue about Saban and Belichick being the best. They clearly are the best coaches. Anyone who disagrees has their head in the sand.
Belichick is a proven cheater.

To say that this is a bit of a reach ........ would be a huge understatement. Honestly, I think you are trying too hard.

Saban vs former assistants: 12-0. (Including Jimbo) although I think he is up to 14-0 now not sure.

We're not going to beat Bama. This year. We might not even make it close. Again, it's time to tap the brakes on the post-Auburn euphoria and look at the talent difference between UT and Bama. Sorry, but that's the facts.

Saban gets to choose how close this one is. Even if UT makes it a game though the first half, then he just leaves his starters out there, and leaves the hounds unleashed until the game is in hand. Again, that's the facts.

Then again, never say never.

I look for UT to compete, never give up, and make Bama win the game. Not a victory, or a moral victory, but a tough game that will make UT a better team down the stretch...where they do have a chance to win those tough games ahead.

The day will come when Pruitt -v- Saban, and UT -vs- Bama, makes the world come to a stop and watch. That day is coming, but it won't be this 3rd Saturday. Maybe not the next one, either...but by the 3rd Third Saturday under Pruitt's watch, I'd say that's going to be a game to watch.

Go Vols. Make Bama earn it.

It's still cheating Bill
What are you 5? That joke should been retired around the same time as dial-up internet.
I cannot stand the Patriots almost as much as Alabama but I am reasonable enough to admit that their coach is the best at their level. To discredit him for recording hand signals of another team in one season of his long career is just silly.

Reactions: feathersax
Yes he has been proven a cheater on the recruiting front. So what coach in the NFL has had a run even remotely close to what Belicheck has? And he hasnt cheated every year.
I'm assuming the recruiting violations you're talking about are secondary violations, which happens with every program, us included. If not please enlighten me because I honestly don't know of any other recruiting violations Saban has committed.

In regards to Belichick he got caught in 2007, so the argument can be made that wasn't the first time he did it, it was just the first time he got caught. There are reports that say he videotaped the Rams Superbowl walkthrough in 2002. Between 02 and 07 he won 3 Super Bowls, and in my eyes all 3 have a stain on them for the reasons described above. Fruit of the poisonous tree.

Lastly saying "he hasn't cheated every year" is like saying I don't cheat on every test, so I'm still a great student.

We're not going to beat Bama. This year. We might not even make it close. Again, it's time to tap the brakes on the post-Auburn euphoria and look at the talent difference between UT and Bama. Sorry, but that's the facts.

Saban gets to choose how close this one is. Even if UT makes it a game though the first half, then he just leaves his starters out there, and leaves the hounds unleashed until the game is in hand. Again, that's the facts.

Then again, never say never.

I look for UT to compete, never give up, and make Bama win the game. Not a victory, or a moral victory, but a tough game that will make UT a better team down the stretch...where they do have a chance to win those tough games ahead.

The day will come when Pruitt -v- Saban, and UT -vs- Bama, makes the world come to a stop and watch. That day is coming, but it won't be this 3rd Saturday. Maybe not the next one, either...but by the 3rd Third Saturday under Pruitt's watch, I'd say that's going to be a game to watch.

Go Vols. Make Bama earn it.
So you are saying there’s a chance?

I do wonder if there is an advantage in having a coach who knows Bama's game plan. There has to be right? Pruitt knows the Bama defense inside and out. He recruited most of the players. He knows their strengths and weaknesses. He also must know Saban's offensive game plan as well along with quirks and idiosyncrasies.

Reactions: RollerVol and MAD

VN Store

Back