What do you guys think about this?

TNHopeful505

So, after our win at Auburn (which I'm still on Cloud Nine about), I got to thinking and looking, and it will be well into the 2020's before we get to play them again. I personally HATE the way that the SEC does it's scheduling. Some people talk about a 9 game SEC schedule or whatever. I would LOVE to see us have a 13 game schedule where we played everyone in the SEC every year, and no one else, but....I understand that would hurt smaller schools that really need that pay day.

But fact is, I love playing Bama every year, but hate that the Vols so rarely get to play in Death Valley, or at Jordan Hare, or at Kyle Field, and that our players don't get those environment except every few years. Those are awesome environments that make the SEC great (we're lucky to experience Neyland weekly).

So....two ideas for schedules here, let me know what you think:

1) An option I found from an article. Makes a 9 game SEC schedule, scraps divisions. Instead has "pods." Each team has 3 protected rivalries. He suggested ours be Bama, Florida, and Vandy, which I totally agree with (though some would wanna sub UGA for Florida, I'm sure).

You play those 3 teams each year. The remaining 10 teams in the conference you alternate. 5 you play on odd years, the other 5 you play on even years. So, in a 4 year span, we'll play Florida/Bama/Vandy 4 times, but we'll play everyone else twice, once at their place, once at home. This way all SEC teams play everywhere in a 4 year span at least once. And of course, with that only taking 9 games, the remaining 3 are for OOC games.

Author also suggested that eliminating divisions would allow a true championship game, not just one where the West is great, and the East gets demolished (which...aside from last year, has been the case). You'd truly get the two best teams. He also did this for the other conferences.

Here's the link: 4 reasons the SEC should replace divisions with this plan

2) A 13 Game Conference Schedule with 5 Power Conferences, and a "Coaches' Choice."

It's simple. Leave the OOC games to the smaller schools, and the big boys play each other every year. Our schedule consists of 13 games where we play every single SEC team, alternating home and away. Each team receives one rivalry week that they can "lock in." So, we can lock Alabama in for the TSIO, and Alabama can lock in Auburn for the Iron Bowl. The rest of the schedule is done by random.

The SEC is already at 14 teams, as is the Big 10, and ACC. The PAC 10 and Big 12 are not, and need 2 teams each. Personally, I'd love to see Notre Dame, UCF, Boise State and Houston fill those spots.

13 weeks of conference play. The 5 teams with the best record from each conference fill out the playoff spot, with the seeding determined by records first, and then if there is a tie, the team's season differential between points scored and points allowed.

The 6th team will be a team voted in by the coaches of the teams who did not make the playoffs, and will automatically play the #1 seed.

Yes, this eliminates the major paydays for the smaller schools. But I don't care about the financials of small schools. I'm just concerned about football awesomeness, and a SEC matchup intrigues me more than a matchup against UTEP.

Anyways.....what do you guys think? I'd love to see more SEC play against teams that we hardly ever get to see. My life goal is to watch the Vols play in every SEC stadium....and I hate that some of those are 6-8 years apart.

So, after our win at Auburn (which I'm still on Cloud Nine about), I got to thinking and looking, and it will be well into the 2020's before we get to play them again. I personally HATE the way that the SEC does it's scheduling. Some people talk about a 9 game SEC schedule or whatever. I would LOVE to see us have a 13 game schedule where we played everyone in the SEC every year, and no one else, but....I understand that would hurt smaller schools that really need that pay day.

But fact is, I love playing Bama every year, but hate that the Vols so rarely get to play in Death Valley, or at Jordan Hare, or at Kyle Field, and that our players don't get those environment except every few years. Those are awesome environments that make the SEC great (we're lucky to experience Neyland weekly).

1) An option I found from an article. Makes a 9 game SEC schedule, scraps divisions. Instead has "pods." Each team has 3 protected rivalries. He suggested ours be Bama, Florida, and Vandy, which I totally agree with (though some would wanna sub UGA for Florida, I'm sure).

You play those 3 teams each year. The remaining 10 teams in the conference you alternate. 5 you play on odd years, the other 5 you play on even years. So, in a 4 year span, we'll play Florida/Bama/Vandy 4 times, but we'll play everyone else twice, once at their place, once at home. This way all SEC teams play everywhere in a 4 year span at least once. And of course, with that only taking 9 games, the remaining 3 are for OOC games.

Author also suggested that eliminating divisions would allow a true championship game, not just one where the West is great, and the East gets demolished (which...aside from last year, has been the case). You'd truly get the two best teams. He also did this for the other conferences.

Here's the link: 4 reasons the SEC should replace divisions with this plan

2) A 13 Game Conference Schedule with 5 Power Conferences, and a "Coaches' Choice."

It's simple. Leave the OOC games to the smaller schools, and the big boys play each other every year. Our schedule consists of 13 games where we play every single SEC team, alternating home and away. Each team receives one rivalry week that they can "lock in." So, we can lock Alabama in for the TSIO, and Alabama can lock in Auburn for the Iron Bowl. The rest of the schedule is done by random.

The SEC is already at 14 teams, as is the Big 10, and ACC. The PAC 10 and Big 12 are not, and need 2 teams each. Personally, I'd love to see Notre Dame, UCF, Boise State and Houston fill those spots.

13 weeks of conference play. The 5 teams with the best record from each conference fill out the playoff spot, with the seeding determined by records first, and then if there is a tie, the team's season differential between points scored and points allowed.

The 6th team will be a team voted in by the coaches of the teams who did not make the playoffs, and will automatically play the #1 seed.

Yes, this eliminates the major paydays for the smaller schools. But I don't care about the financials of small schools. I'm just concerned about football awesomeness, and a SEC matchup intrigues me more than a matchup against UTEP.

Anyways.....what do you guys think? I'd love to see more SEC play against teams that we hardly ever get to see. My life goal is to watch the Vols play in every SEC stadium....and I hate that some of those are 6-8 years apart.
I think the cupcake games are in the long run poor economics. What most schools do is scheduled a cupcake games to pad the schedule and therefore they are punishing the season ticket holders to where they don't have anything to watch that is entertaining throughout the year. I'm not going to pay big bucks to go watch ETSU or Appalachian State play a football game. Also recruits don't go to places to play in that kind of game.

Reactions: Smokey X
I think the cupcake games are in the long run poor economics. What most schools do is scheduled a cupcake games to pad the schedule and therefore they are punishing the season ticket holders to where they don't have anything to watch that is entertaining throughout the year. I'm not going to pay big bucks to go watch ETSU or Appalachian State play a football game. Also recruits don't go to places to play in that kind of game.

I think cupcake games are scheduled now so that your team gets experience and so that you can try and heal up before a big game.

My concern is the injury toll of playing 9 or more SEC teams. Because of the size and speed in the conference, I think teams could be pretty battered at season's end. May affect NC playoff participation. Just saying....
well thats Butch Jones fault too

Add UCF as team 15 so they will see what it’s like in the SEC, go to 3 5-team divisions and 9 conference games so the Big 12 and Pac 12 teams stop whining, play the other 4 in your division and rotate the remaining 5 games against other SEC teams based on prior year results, kind of like the NFL does. Bama would have the hardest SEC schedule while UT would’ve had the easiest this year. Won’t happen because then it’s harder for the top team to get through. Finally, the SEC championship is now its own 4-team playoff with the 3 division winner and 1 wild card. Who needs other conference anyway? We will just crown the SEC winner National Champs!

My concern is the injury toll of playing 9 or more SEC teams. Because of the size and speed in the conference, I think teams could be pretty battered at season's end. May affect NC playoff participation. Just saying....
I seriously think you’ll see the Big 10 go back to 8 games.

I think cupcake games are scheduled now so that your team gets experience and so that you can try and heal up before a big game.
Everybody's favorite running back that played for UT was hurt against a cupcake and never returned. Talking about Chuck Webb. The real reason for the cupcakes is so that the bigger schools can maximize the number of home games that they have in their own stadium and therefore can maximize the number of paid patrons.

I kind of like the pod idea with the exception that there will inherently be years that team A's (to be read Florida) rotational opponents will be harder, or higher ranked, than team B's.

Team A's fan base will then show what A's they really are and whine even louder...

I don't think, I know CUPCAKE games are scheduled for 2 Reasons.
1> Assist Coach in keeping job
2> Money for the smaller Sisters of the Poor Schools - and this is why UT needs to keep it in State. ETSU, UTC, TNTech, etc. At least the money stays here!
roll tide.jpg

Add UCF as team 15 so they will see what it’s like in the SEC, go to 3 5-team divisions and 9 conference games so the Big 12 and Pac 12 teams stop whining, play the other 4 in your division and rotate the remaining 5 games against other SEC teams based on prior year results, kind of like the NFL does. Bama would have the hardest SEC schedule while UT would’ve had the easiest this year. Won’t happen because then it’s harder for the top team to get through. Finally, the SEC championship is now its own 4-team playoff with the 3 division winner and 1 wild card. Who needs other conference anyway? We will just crown the SEC winner National Champs!
No, Bama every year or no dice.

well...so i got out my calculator..... playing the 3 teams each year.... and 5 on odd/even years....... so 3+5= 8 games. Are you/the article using that darn new-fangled math? where did the 9 SEC games come from?

I don't think, I know CUPCAKE games are scheduled for 2 Reasons.
1> Assist Coach in keeping job
2> Money for the smaller Sisters of the Poor Schools - and this is why UT needs to keep it in State. ETSU, UTC, TNTech, etc. At least the money stays here!
View attachment 172561
Well played......I think Game of Thrones Sis is hotter.......just sayin.

The conference only idea would seriously penalize the SEC as it relates to the national championship. In recent years, how many times has the 2nd-best SEC team been significantly better than the best team in the Big 12 or several other conferences?

Further, if you want to raise the intensity of the schedule, you are going to have to figure out some way of expanding or replenishing rosters. I don't think teams have enough players to do it as it is.

Add a couple of schools to make it a 16 team league. Divide the conference into 4 divisions of 4 teams each. Each year you play the 3 teams in your division plus 2 from each of the other 3 divisions for a total of 9 games. Alternate the cross division pairings every year. You would play 3 teams every year and all other teams every other year.

I'd like to see a NC school added but because of basketball the SEC won't pick off any of the ACC schools. I don't know if it would be worth it to promote a mid-major but it would be interesting to see what that might do to shake up the power structure in NC

VT has been transient. WVU makes a lot more sense in the SEC than the Big 12. Maryland's wedding to the Big 10 hasn't been that smooth. If OU and OSU could be talked into it... the Big 12 would be done but the SEC would be pretty incredible.

Reactions: jortfreeTN
I don't mind the pod idea. It would make things interesting and the big rivalries stay intact. You could make the argument for UGA or UK over FL. But overall I like the concept.

Get rid of USCj, Missouri, a&m and Arkansas.
Play the 9 SEC teams every year plus 3 out of conference.
I dont agree with this but why A&M or USCjr? Vandy just had a home game with Florida and they had more fans than Vandy at that game.

The SEC is rough enough as it is. 8 SEC games a year is fine.

Auburn vs UT would be a fun game to have more often but not annually. It's a game that gives me nostalgia , plus Auburn are the only other fanbase that hates the Satanic Crimson Tide as much as we do. Auburn fans are a good reminder that not all alabama residents lack teeth as well

LSU vs UT would be fun to see yearly but not worth doing 9 SEC games for it

Cupcake games are apart of college football. Some teams have 4 or 3cupcakes they play nearly, UT usually plays 2 or 3 cupcakes.
Notre Dame usually plays 12 cupcakes annually .

If Saban wants 10 SEC Games a year , he can retire now .

Last edited:
Reactions: ksgovols
I see SEC going to a 16 team, 4 division conference where the best team from each of the 4 team divisions play each other in the SEC Championship, which means 2 more championship games and a boat load more revenue.

I can also see the Big10, Big12, Pac12 and ACC merging into 3 conferences (goodbye Big12?), so that the Power 5 become the Power 4 with 16 teams each. That feeds in nicely to the CFPs either as the 4 champions or best 2 teams from each conference in an 8 team playoff (that would require one less regular season game I'm guessing).

If the Group of 5 do the same, then we can have a national championship for them too. And lets face Air Force, Navy, Troy, Ark State and App State deserve to win something other than a participation trophy against the big boys.

VN Store

Back