Shoop's D: Article explaining why it works at MSU, failed at Tennessee

AshG

Easy target
“And I think one of the things, looking back, that I really tried to do at Tennessee, whether it was to my detriment or whatever, was to try to fit into that culture – and really, in some ways, never got a chance to be myself or who I was.”

With Moorhead’s blessing, Shoop is operating MSU’s defense just the way he wants.
The results are striking

How Bob Shoop found success at Mississippi State and where it went wrong with UT Vols.

This has several shades of Dave Clawson and Phil Fulmer. Fulmer brought Clawson in as an offensive genius, then bridled him with running a different system and not allowing him to bring in the staff to implement the Clawfense.

It's like a restaurant. If you hire a French chef for an avant garde restaurant and don't let him cook French cuisine or bring in the sous chef he's used to working with, the kitchen will fall apart very quickly. That's what I believe happened with Clawson and Shoop, and this article points squarely in that direction.

This has several shades of Dave Clawson and Phil Fulmer. Fulmer brought Clawson in as an offensive genius, then bridled him with running a different system and not allowing him to bring in the staff to implement the Clawfense.

It's like a restaurant. If you hire a French chef for an avant garde restaurant and don't let him cook French cuisine or bring in the sous chef he's used to working with, the kitchen will fall apart very quickly. That's what I believe happened with Clawson and Shoop, and this article points squarely in that direction.

Meh. Fulmer was pressured into getting a guy that ran the Spread and didn't have Spread personnel. Then recruited like heck to get both Bryce Petty and Taj Boyd committed and our dumb butt administration pulled the plug after one year. Clawson didn't get a fair shot to run his stuff, but wasn't because Fulmer wouldn't let him. Stupid to do what Butch did and make Worley run a zone read when he's not a running threat. What exactly is the read?

I don't know who made the decision not to play Bituli at LB and insist on Jumper, but the results show that plan didn't work. I can see Butch's hands all over this. Hard headed to a fault and in over his head.

Shoop is just trying to cover up the fact that he was a victim of the rogue helmet and is only now recovering from amnesia enough to run a solid defense. Also, the rumor is it was on the grassy knoll when Kennedy went down.

Meh. Fulmer was pressured into getting a guy that ran the Spread and didn't have Spread personnel. Then recruited like heck to get both Bryce Petty and Taj Boyd committed and our dumb butt administration pulled the plug after one year. Clawson didn't get a fair shot to run his stuff, but wasn't because Fulmer wouldn't let him. Stupid to do what Butch did and make Worley run a zone read when he's not a running threat. What exactly is the read?

I don't know who made the decision not to play Bituli at LB and insist on Jumper, but the results show that plan didn't work. I can see Butch's hands all over this. Hard headed to a fault and in over his head.
Clawson hasn't exacrly lit it up anywhere else. His first year, UT was still a power football team and Clawson was too stupid to run the damn ball. He also shifted olinemen from side to side, which is also stupid. He did nothing to develop Crompton.

Fulmer could have hired Debord, which would have been 10x better. Clawson was a bad hire when Fulmer had expended his equity.

Wow, I didn’t realize the numbers MSU was putting up on defense. Best in the nation in scoring defense, only one opponent with more than 13 points. That’s...really impressive. Makes you wonder what all happened

The crazy thing is their offense seems to have regressed a bit, but their D has been spectacular this season.

You never know where all the skeletons are but this feels like Shoop's way of saying "CBJ was as bad as you thought." When's the last time you heard a coach at this level, with his resume, say "I couldn't be myself?" That alone tells me CBJ was trying to be too controlling and making things far worse than they should have been. He will be lucky to be anything more than an assistant despite his Alabama intern gig. Saban can't fix everyone.....

It's pretty simple. Because he didn't have his guys and injuries to personnel (particularly at LB), Shoop ran a 4-2-5 a lot of the time he was here.

Reactions: feathersax
“And I think one of the things, looking back, that I really tried to do at Tennessee, whether it was to my detriment or whatever, was to try to fit into that culture – and really, in some ways, never got a chance to be myself or who I was.”

With Moorhead’s blessing, Shoop is operating MSU’s defense just the way he wants.
The results are striking

How Bob Shoop found success at Mississippi State and where it went wrong with UT Vols.
“With Moorhead’s blessing, Shoop is operating MSU’s defense just the way he wants.
The results are striking”

That’s all you need to know, to much butch jones to succeed here.

il_340x270.818185573_gz5c.jpg

I mean, the dude led the worst Tennessee defense ever after being a top 5 DC. I’m not sure it can be that simple.
Actually, how disastrous it was makes it more likely to have a simple answer.

He came here with no staff and led two defenses decimated by injuries, playing a scheme that wasn't truly "his."

Butch had absolutely everything going for him after the 2015 season ended and managed to get fired ~22 months later.

Recruiting was red hot. He was returning a rapidly improving and star-studded roster. And he had just landed a top 5 DC. Terrible.

That's far from the truth on Clawson. Fulmer hired Clawson because Hammy would not give him money to hire Debord or any other decent, proven OC. So Phil went with the up and come. Then, like any HC, he wants that OC to operate his offense within the philosophy and system the HC is running.

Look at Chaney. He was pass happy at TN but has had no issues running the ball at UGA and I guarantee Kirby made it clear what their philosophy and goals are and how he wants chaney's offense to run within that. That's the HC's job.

Reactions: Smoked Cheddar

The results are striking

In other words "Butch sux"

That's far from the truth on Clawson. Fulmer hired Clawson because Hammy would not give him money to hire Debord or any other decent, proven OC. So Phil went with the up and come. Then, like any HC, he wants that OC to operate his offense within the philosophy and system the HC is running.

Look at Chaney. He was pass happy at TN but has had no issues running the ball at UGA and I guarantee Kirby made it clear what their philosophy and goals are and how he wants chaney's offense to run within that. That's the HC's job.
I knew a guy who wanted to hire Clawson as Fulmer's replacement. My reaction - "say what??!!"

His schemes have heavily featured a nickel D everywhere. Not sure where you’re getting that he was new to that.
You're right, he was a 4-2-5 guy, but he dealt with so many injuries. There was also talk Butch didn't let him bring any of his own assistants in. If that is truly the case, it is kind of surprising he was able to woo Shoop in the first place.

Reactions: roosterjbh

VN Store

Back