3 Vols make national watchlists

bleedingTNorange

Jordan Bone makes Bob Cousy PG of the year watchlist, Admiral Schofield makes the Julius Erving SF of the year watchlist, and Grant Williams makes the Karl Malone PF of the year watchlist. All of these lists are limited to the Top 20 players at each position in the country, and from the best I can tell on first glance only Duke & Kentucky have more players named.

Just another feather in the cap for Barnes and evidence of the amazing rebuilding job he and his staff have pulled off here. The crazy thing is that you have those 3 named and that doesn’t include reigning SEC 6th MOY Lamonte Turner or Kyle Alexander who is the guy on this roster that NBA scouts seem most high on at the next level. Crazy stuff.

Only bad thing about all the hype we're getting this season is that we won't be sneaking up on anyone. Going from hunter to hunted status means we'll be earning it every game. Personally, I don't think it will matter. Most of these guys have caught the Admiral bug.

Only bad thing about all the hype we're getting this season is that we won't be sneaking up on anyone. Going from hunter to hunted status means we'll be earning it every game. Personally, I don't think it will matter. Most of these guys have caught the Admiral bug.

Not saying you in particular because this is like the #2 storyline in the off-season but that will have zero effect on the season. Everyone last year knew UT was legit after beating Purdue

Not saying you in particular because this is like the #2 storyline in the off-season but that will have zero effect on the season. Everyone last year knew UT was legit after beating Purdue

I think there is a real difference between being the Hunter vs the Hunted.. but here's where I too am not worried about that for this particular team..

Last seasons heartbreak in the SECT final and the NCAA tournament. This team will come out hungry, not fat and happy. Can't wait for the season to start.

I think there is a real difference between being the Hunter vs the Hunted.. but here's where I too am not worried about that for this particular team..

Last seasons heartbreak in the SECT final and the NCAA tournament. This team will come out hungry, not fat and happy. Can't wait for the season to start.

I think his point is that after the first 3 weeks of the season we weren’t the hunter, we were the hunted, and we did just fine.

I think his point is that after the first 3 weeks of the season we weren’t the hunter, we were the hunted, and we did just fine.

For sure.. but I really don't think beating an uninspired Purdue team in an early season tournament off of American soil really made anyone in the SEC shake in their boots.. but I could be wrong.

My main point is I don’t think anybody in the SEC is saying “We didn’t take Tennessee seriously last year, we better this year!” I think that’s a fallacy about hunter and hunted

Reactions: RollerVol
My main point is I don’t think anybody in the SEC is saying “We didn’t take Tennessee seriously last year, we better this year!” I think that’s a fallacy about hunter and hunted

Bingo...we were 9-2 and ranked Top 20 heading into the SEC schedule, I don’t think anyone was looking past Tennessee at that point.

For sure.. but I really don't think beating an uninspired Purdue team in an early season tournament off of American soil really made anyone in the SEC shake in their boots.. but I could be wrong.

Idon't know @ shaking in boots. But, how do you know Purdue was uninspired? Maybe we "snuck up on them a bit. But uninspired? I've never heard or seen that anywhere. We played them down to the wire and won in OT iirc. When the season was over, both teams ended up about the same in quality.

Secondly, why does playing outside the USA make an advantage for us? The flight was closer than 1/2 the USA for both teams most likely. I don't get what you're claiming here.

The fact we rolled thru game one, defeated a highly ranked Big10, and then had the #1 team in the nation out behind the woodshed in the 1st half ... put ANY coaching staff on notice right off the bat. Fans, probably not. But fans are irrelevant in such matters anyway.

Reactions: The Dog
In CBB, I'm really not worried about being circled on everyone's schedule. It might be enough to drop us out of an SEC title. But tournament time is where teams like this are ultimately judged. If we fail to make it, then we must suck pretty bad anyway. But, once in, NOBODY gets overlooked as an opponent. Maybe a 16:1 or 15:2 game. But after that every tourney game is a "leave it all out there moment".

This team has a chance for the Final Four or natty. If they're gonna make it, then their seeding aint enough to stop them. Like a HoF HS coach friend of mine recently said about tourney play ... "If you're gonna be the best, then you're gonna have to beat the best somewhere along the way."

In CBB, I'm really not worried about being circled on everyone's schedule. It might be enough to drop us out of an SEC title. But tournament time is where teams like this are ultimately judged. If we fail to make it, then we must suck pretty bad anyway. But, once in, NOBODY gets overlooked as an opponent. Maybe a 16:1 or 15:2 game. But after that every tourney game is a "leave it all out there moment".

This team has a chance for the Final Four or natty. If they're gonna make it, then their seeding aint enough to stop them. Like a HoF HS coach friend of mine recently said about tourney play ... "If you're gonna be the best, then you're gonna have to beat the best somewhere along the way."
Those 2s better not sleep on 15s anymore! A 15-2 upset is almost an annual thing now. The quality of 15 and 16 seeds has improved while the quality of 1s and 2s isn’t what it once was. I’m not talking massive differences but the game is just different now.

I am really pumped for the season though. My expectation is 25 wins prior to the NCAA tournament and Sweet 16 at a minimum. So much can change that of course but that’s what I believe. I haven’t gone through the schedule game by game just yet though. I will in the next week or so. It’s tip off time in Tennessee!

VN Store

Back