Wildcat Personnel

TheColdVolTruth

SIAP somewhere else, but we have seen Tim Jordan run up the middle in the wildcat formation on more than one occasion with limited success. Why wouldn't we give Jennings a look in that formation? He is dynamic with the ball in his hands, but he also came to UT as a qb. I think he would add another threat to the wildcat with his ability to throw if the defense bites.

Wildcat relies alot on the offensive linemen , so that's probably one reason Jordan ain't getting much done with it. I think he ran one good on Auburn.
Jennings probably wouldnt do much better since our linemen ain't getting a push on anyone. We dont need him getting Injured either lol

Wildcat relies alot on the offensive linemen , so that's probably one reason Jordan ain't getting much done with it. I think he ran one good on Auburn.
Jennings probably wouldnt do much better since our linemen ain't getting a push on anyone. We dont need him getting Injured either lol

No arguments on the push from the offensive line, but I think Jennings starting off tackle could potentially suck the defense up to allow a receiver to get open for JJ to throw to. I think it could add a different dynamic to the formation and possibly mitigate the inability of the linemen to get push up the middle.

SIAP somewhere else, but we have seen Tim Jordan run up the middle in the wildcat formation on more than one occasion with limited success. Why wouldn't we give Jennings a look in that formation? He is dynamic with the ball in his hands, but he also came to UT as a qb. I think he would add another threat to the wildcat with his ability to throw if the defense bites.

The "wildcat" formations are overblown by a long shot IMO. 90% of the time the QB/RB who receives the snap from center keeps and runs the ball. It just becomes a game of backyard "pick-up and smear." I think it only is effective when one team is much better than the other at the LOS or they catch the defense napping or confuse them witha surprise formation. Once any defense worth it's salt recognizes it, meh. However if one would use JJ for instance and pass the ball out of that formation says 30% of the time, it can be effective IMO, but most OCs do not allow that.

Reactions: dcm3w and RollerVol
Coach Weinke likes Timmy better for the VolCat, I guess...would like to see somebody else get a shot...or just don't run it...not our best play so far...:D

GO VOLS...BEAT BAMA!

Reactions: savannahfan
Jennings is more of a threat out wide and can still throw the ball from that position. JMO

IMO the wildcat stuff we ran is more or less to set up a pass trick play against Bama. In the same line of thought the thing JG does with his hands before a run play will be used to throw off Bama. I’m thinking our first play will be a PA deep ball to Palmer just to try and take some early momentum.

Reactions: OneVolNation
I usually see speed guys running wildcat most of time between the 20’s. Chandler would be good for this imo

Jennings has definitely lost some juke, speed. He looks like he's put on about 15lbs. I think he's where he needs to be for now.

The "wildcat" formations are overblown by a long shot IMO. 90% of the time the QB/RB who receives the snap from center keeps and runs the ball. It just becomes a game of backyard "pick-up and smear." I think it only is effective when one team is much better than the other at the LOS or they catch the defense napping or confuse them witha surprise formation. Once any defense worth it's salt recognizes it, meh. However if one would use JJ for instance and pass the ball out of that formation says 30% of the time, it can be effective IMO, but most OCs do not allow that.
Agreed, wildcat is a gimmick lining up a running back at QB. I think Jennings would fall into a different description and skill set whose job is to not only keep it or handoff to another running back. JJ is not a running back although he does know what to do with the ball in his hands but could actually throw the ball once in a while and provide a spark if used sparingly and at the right time

I think we need to use Jennings to throw the ball every now and then. Just use him on a sweep and then let him stop and throw it. It might catch Bama off guard.

I agree. That 3rd n long wildcat last week when they knew we couldnt pass it was pure dumb!

VN Store

Back