PERSPECTIVE

MikeVol44

What we ultimately saw out there today was the culmination of the difference between the administrations of the Univ. of Alabama and the administrators of the Univ. of Tennessee played out over the last 10-15 years.

Alabama's admin. INVESTED in their program by allowing and enabling their FOOTBALL guys to go out and hire the best coach in the game, SABAN.

We've been staggering through the wasteland of a bunch of academic idiots trying to run an athletic program by hiring the likes of CDD and CBJ. Make no mistake about it, this debacle can be traced all the way back to the change of administration that occurred when Doug Dickey retired as AD from UT.

I do believe hiring Coach Fulmer back as AD signaled positive changes in the administration that will allow us to get back to being competitive. And Fulmer's hiring of CJP was all about getting a FOOTBALL guy back in charge of the program. It will take a little more time, but if the administration will stay the he*& out of the way I think we'll return to being very competitive sooner rather than later.

GO VOLS!

It definitely wont be long. UT football is a top notch program, just needs a top notch team again. We will see the success come quick because Pruitt knows what the hell he is doing

And it took a FOOTBALL GUY to recognize another FOOTBALL GUY....Amazing how FULMER came in and converted a walking cluster .... into hiring CJP...

Well...Mal Moore and the rest of those dudes said they went to Miami and absolutely refused to leave without convincing Saban to come to Bama....and Moore always made it known that Saban was his first choice....

Last edited:
Satisfying to see Butch Jones emascualted with the Gatorade bath/cigar/celebration experience. Because regardless of how good of an intern he is he knows deep down that the Tide hung 50+ points on his guys again today.

Butch had less to do with Bama winning and more to do with Tennessee losing today.

Soak it in, Clown.

What we ultimately saw out there today was the culmination of the difference between the administrations of the Univ. of Alabama and the administrators of the Univ. of Tennessee played out over the last 10-15 years.

Alabama's admin. INVESTED in their program by allowing and enabling their FOOTBALL guys to go out and hire the best coach in the game, SABAN.

We've been staggering through the wasteland of a bunch of academic idiots trying to run an athletic program by hiring the likes of CDD and CBJ. Make no mistake about it, this debacle can be traced all the way back to the change of administration that occurred when Doug Dickey retired as AD from UT.

I do believe hiring Coach Fulmer back as AD signaled positive changes in the administration that will allow us to get back to being competitive. And Fulmer's hiring of CJP was all about getting a FOOTBALL guy back in charge of the program. It will take a little more time, but if the administration will stay the he*& out of the way I think we'll return to being very competitive sooner rather than later.

GO VOLS!
I agree.

We made two hires from the University of Cincinnati (Jones & Davenport) and they did not work out.

Reactions: TrentVol

GO VOLS!
Agree. The university lost site of what its main mission is, hired numerous low character unqualified people at numerous positions above the coaching level and has thought the program could run on its own. Practically everyone involved in the last 15 yrs carries some blame.

OP. You're correct.

Go back and look at the '11 NC game vs LSU and Bama received their 1st penalty with about 3 minutes to go and Saban went nuts. He demands perfection.

When the rest of the SEC decides to get on board with this and challenge Saban it will change. Until then, the gap will continue to grow.

Reactions: vols40
You cant go up against the #1 team with your OL and secondary as the most crucial positions and have both of them ravished with injuries and inexperienced players. I cant believe I thought it would be a respectable game. They never had a chance really. There's no excuse for the boneheaded plays tho. I guess when things start falling apart you lose your composure.

To be fair.....the only reason why Bama is where they are is because Rich Rodriguez said no. Saban was their second choice.

Just saying.

I've done quite a bit of reading about this and have a very good friend who is a Bammite..... Moore was pressured to make the offer to Rich Rod in the first place and intentionally LOW-BALLED him to elicit a rejection.
Most down there always claimed that they wanted Saban from the beginning--sent feelers out to him--and waited before camping out down there in Miami to make him an offer he couldn't refuse.

It really matters very little now---and only serves to dilute the point that I was making....

There is a HUGE difference between BAMA's administration and their attitude towards the FB program and what has existed in Knoxville for the past 15 years since Dickey left. That's just a FACT--Fulmer was sounding the alarm about those FACTS for a few years before he was actually fired. In retrospect--Fulmer was correct about the administration even though he got complacent about recruiting over the last few years of his career.

But I do believe that FULMER is the ONLY guy who could've come in as AD and get this ship sailing back to glory.

GO VOLS!

this is so old.

Folks, I have problems with the Tennessee admin based on across the board futility that shows they don’t know what they are doing.

But, they had no problem paying money and no problem firing people who did not perform.

And no one, and I mean NO ONE, saw what Saban is doing at Alabama coming. There was nothing in his resume that showed anything close to this happening. Yes, that includes his time at LSU.

From what I have heard, the difference between Alabama and a lot of other programs is the money spent that you don’t see. Hires like Butch Jones (don’t laugh). How many schools have former Power 5 head coaches on staff getting cups of coffee? The amount of guys (and quality of those guys) they have who break down film and fulfill other “support staff” roles is above and beyond the norm.

But, plenty of schools (Clemson is one) have made hires that didn’t look impressive at the time that panned out. And plenty of schools made hires that made a lot of sense that did jack

Reactions: Woke
I agree.

We made two hires from the University of Cincinnati (Jones & Davenport) and they did not work out.

Isn’t Davenport still around? Just like you knew the days were numbered for Currie when Schiano blew up in his face I figured Beverly was on super thin ice when she had to introduce a man she passed over for AD as the new AD because of the disaster she hired. But I think she is hanging on. Do you know?

She is gone as far as University of Tennessee. I believe with a Settlement over 1 million. Just another payment for the Administration at UTK of a bad hire. Again, another tax payer expense for another bad choice. Of course, she got caught up in the dysfunctional family section at UTK. Offered a lesser job in Communications Department of all places.

VN Store

Back