A concerning trend

BigOrangeMojo

The Member in Miss December
I am of the philosophy that the quality of coaching can be determined in how a team performs in the following time periods

a. At the beginning of halves (1st half - Pregame prep) and (2nd half - Halftime adjustments)
b. At the end of halves (The last two minutes when you are going against the other team AND the clock)

What I have noticed is we are getting destroyed in those timeframes. I know there is a talent deficiency compared to some teams but is this a major issue or should I go ahead and put the bottle down and get some sleep. My thoughts would be if its all talent issues then we would be getting whipped fairly evenly throughout the game and not at certain spots.

For the 5 games against Power 5 teams. Beginning of halves is defined as first 7 mins and end is last 2 mins

WVU (Lost by 26) (Lost the beginning and end of halves by 27)
UF (Lost by 26) (Lost the beginning and end of halves by 7)
UGA (Lost by 26) (Lost the beginning and end of halves by 21)
Auburn (Won by 6) (Lost the beginning and end of halves by 11)
Bama (Lost by 37) (Lost the beginning and end of halves by 37)

In total, we have been outscored by 109 points in those 300 mins (5 games). 103 of the 109 point differential has come at the beginning and the end of the halves (which is only 90 of the 300 minutes played).

Is this a coincidence, bad luck, or a concerning trend?

Update for USC game - Lost by 3. Lost beginning and end of halves by 7.

Last edited:
Pruitt'a mgmt of the end of the 1st half against Auburn was masterful.

I dont disagree with your opinion because football is a game of momentum and strategy and those periods are when the nail hits the head. But Pruitt seems to understand this because he has managed the clock well and acknowledged that Chandler coming out and making a mistake there was a killer in the PC.

Had we stopped them on 3rd down before we would have had ball with decent field position and a chance to make it 35-17 at half, get a TD to open it's 35-24 and seems like a game. Tua rushed for first down. Coach can stop that.

Old habits die hard. We had the same problems with the 2016 and 2017 teams. Always starting slow. It's only natural the trend would continue with this team. We saw improvements against Auburn, though. It's hard to make any judgment against Bama, considering the lopsided talent. I still think next week will tell us a lot about Pruitt and this team.

Old habits die hard. We had the same problems with the 2016 and 2017 teams. Always starting slow. It's only natural the trend would continue with this team. We saw improvements against Auburn, though. It's hard to make any judgment against Bama, considering the lopsided talent. I still think next week will tell us a lot about Pruitt and this team.

The difference between this team and 2016 was that we would play bad the entire first half in 2016 and the entire game in 2017. This year we are just struggling in certain spots.

Saying there is something wrong with my Medulla Oblongata?

naVIxQ.gif

The trend is the Vols have never played a team like they played today. The coaches have never coached against a team like they saw today. I don't know if only a few college teams have ever been as good as the Bama team we saw today.

Check your egos (coaches and players both) at the door and try to get though the week and get ready for SC. Auburn was nothing like the team we played today. Try to put it behind you and keep moving forward. Nothing will prepare a team for a bunch like Bama that was on the field today.

I watched the Buckeyes get drilled tonight by Purdue. #2 in the land? If so, Bama is 10 miles ahead of them and all the rest.

GBO

The Brick salesman is the reason Vols had no chance yesterday. UT have discipline stuff they need to fix , but when down 14-0 a few minutes into the game -- teams lose their cool. The start of the 3rd quarter start was a joke. Alot of the team didnt quit, some guys did. We need linebackers. We need a line that doesnt play on their heels all game. But the Bama linemen have been doing it the right way under real coaches for a while, our guys have been trying to.

We aren't getting outcoached, we are getting bullied on the field

We aren't getting out-coached, we are getting bullied on the field.

This—you nailed it. I love my Vols, but watching this BJ-built team is like watching HS team try to play big-boy football. I want only the best for every athlete that comes to UT, but BJ built a non-SEC team to play in the SEC. It will take about 3 years to reload the roster with the kind of athletes we need to be consistently competitive in the SEC. It will take another 2 to 3 years after that to build a championship team. That's how far this program has fallen.

This—you nailed it. I love my Vols, but watching this BJ-built team is like watching HS team try to play big-boy football. I want only the best for every athlete that comes to UT, but BJ built a non-SEC team to play in the SEC. It will take about 3 years to reload the roster with the kind of athletes we need to be consistently competitive in the SEC. It will take another 2 to 3 years after that to build a championship team. That's how far this program has fallen.
I think you will see UT in serious competition for the East in year 3 of Pruitt. I would be fine with next year tho lol

Pruitt'a mgmt of the end of the 1st half against Auburn was masterful.

I dont disagree with your opinion because football is a game of momentum and strategy and those periods are when the nail hits the head. But Pruitt seems to understand this because he has managed the clock well and acknowledged that Chandler coming out and making a mistake there was a killer in the PC.

Had we stopped them on 3rd down before we would have had ball with decent field position and a chance to make it 35-17 at half, get a TD to open it's 35-24 and seems like a game. Tua rushed for first down. Coach can stop that.
This was never a game... LOL

Reactions: AaronUT and Remy
We just got whipped up front on both lines of scrimmage. You can debate all you want about why ,but that's what happened. On TV they just looked physically bigger.
Agree with you. Yes, they were bigger! You know what stood out to me.. the legs, primarily the thigh area. Probably why they are so hard to bring down, that lower body strength.

I am of the philosophy that the quality of coaching can be determined in how a team performs in the following time periods

a. At the beginning of halves (1st half - Pregame prep) and (2nd half - Halftime adjustments)
b. At the end of halves (The last two minutes when you are going against the other team AND the clock)

What I have noticed is we are getting destroyed in those timeframes. I know there is a talent deficiency compared to some teams but is this a major issue or should I go ahead and put the bottle down and get some sleep. My thoughts would be if its all talent issues then we would be getting whipped fairly evenly throughout the game and not at certain spots.

For the 5 games against Power 5 teams. Beginning of halves is defined as first 7 mins and end is last 2 mins

WVU (Lost by 26) (Lost the beginning and end of halves by 27)
UF (Lost by 26) (Lost the beginning and end of halves by 7)
UGA (Lost by 26) (Lost the beginning and end of halves by 21)
Auburn (Won by 6) (Lost the beginning and end of halves by 11)
Bama (Lost by 37) (Lost the beginning and end of halves by 37)

In total, we have been outscored by 109 points in those 300 mins (5 games). 103 of the 109 point differential has come at the beginning and the end of the halves (which is only 90 of the 300 minutes played).

Is this a coincidence, bad luck, or a concerning trend?
Coach Pruitt will tell ya what all the issues are if you'll just listen to his pressers. He's honest and not sugar coating anything. We have guys that have fight in em and some that don't. He's gonna fix it. It would save you alot of time from having to do all these research's and number crunches.

The trend is the Vols have never played a team like they played today. The coaches have never coached against a team like they saw today. I don't know if only a few college teams have ever been as good as the Bama team we saw today.

GBO

Yep. I think 2018 Bama's biggest weakness is they might get tired of scoring. They could still lose to a team that plays out of its mind like Perdue did with Ohio State, but these guys look like they're in complete control (and more than a little bored).

I think you will see UT in serious competition for the East in year 3 of Pruitt. I would be fine with next year tho lol

I agree; I think Pruitt can take a step forward in the East in that time frame, but we'll need to take a leap forward to be competitive across the whole of the SEC. With the exception of UGA, the East is still a hot mess. I think Mullen will shape up UF pretty quickly because he has more to work with than Pruitt does at UT; and, I can't deny what Stoops has done by building up the trenches at UK. USC is hit or miss with Clemson in their "backyard."

Reactions: TrentVol

Color me crazy but I think we sneak into contention next year. With Florida’s rise, splitting UGA/UF at 1-1, taking the Bama loss, and running the rest of the schedule, 2 loss SEC schedule would be definitely contending.

Even in the blowout losses we’ve had, I have felt a calm about it cause the kids are fighting all 60 minutes and Pruitt’s system has been fundamentally sound. The sad fact of the matter is we have to wait for him to get “his guys” in the program and that only happens with recruiting. Also, we have made it a point to recruit some OL studs.

Old habits? WE had a complete change of coaching staff. Their 'old habits' come from elsewhere. Their 'old habits' damned well better not be our old habits. If they are, again, we overpaid..... again.

Check your egos (coaches and players both) at the door and try to get though the week and get ready for SC. Auburn was nothing like the team we played today. Try to put it behind you and keep moving forward. Nothing will prepare a team for a bunch like Bama that was on the field today.

I watched the Buckeyes get drilled tonight by Purdue. #2 in the land? If so, Bama is 10 miles ahead of them and all the rest.

GBO
Clemson may have a defense that could slow Bama down some. T.Lawrence doesn't have that scramble ability though. It'll take a good effort with the proper personell to beat Bama and I can't find a team that can match up with them this year. A fast QB with a better than average arm is a must and so is a solid defense. UGA with Fields may play them close if UGA even gets to play them. They play LSU in Death Valley in two weeks. CBS will air it at 3:30. I wish the LSU fans would protest and force a 7:30 p.m. kick-off. That place becomes mystical at night games for visiting teams. I've never understood that but it would be tougher on Bama because LSU may be the toughest team they face this year.

Old habits? WE had a complete change of coaching staff. Their 'old habits' come from elsewhere. Their 'old habits' damned well better not be our old habits. If they are, again, we overpaid..... again.

The players are still the same. The players have developed bad habits over the last few years, and it’s hard for them to get over the losing mentality.

Bro, Pruitt only has 25 kids who have never been in a college system outside of his. 3/4 of this roster are still Butch recruits. It is good to know that Pruitt went out and highlighted some guys he inherited for “buying in from the start.”

The fact he is specifically naming guys means there are kids playing who haven’t bought it. Like Pruitt said, wait until he gets more recruits in here that want to buy in.

I agree; I think Pruitt can take a step forward in the East in that time frame, but we'll need to take a leap forward to be competitive across the whole of the SEC. With the exception of UGA, the East is still a hot mess. I think Mullen will shape up UF pretty quickly because he has more to work with than Pruitt does at UT; and, I can't deny what Stoops has done by building up the trenches at UK. USC is hit or miss with Clemson in their "backyard."
The good thing is we dont have to WORRY about fighting for top recruits with UK lol
And USC cant match UT classes either

Reactions: knoxvol16

VN Store

Back