Pruitt and the onside kick

MemphisVol77

Sunshine Dealer. Pure #FF8200, hit me up.
97d.jpg

I wasn't too certain what to think about Pruitt's onside kick attempts against WVA & FL.
I didn't like them at the time, they just seemed more of desperation than the gamblers calculated decision to me. Even though I didn't like the attempts at the time, I couldn't say they were the wrong call.

Then the Auburn game, even though we didn't recover, it hit me. Pruitt's playing the long game. It's a statement about changing our culture and playing to win at all costs as much for later in the year and next year as it was about the gambler's quick turnaround in those particular games. Pruitt's conditioning our team to play with the expectation to win every snap.

After today's Bama game, which I didn't see, I think I'm over the onside kicks. Short of a one possession game late in the 4th I hope we're not in a position that Pruitt wants to keep trying them.

I hope on the back end of our schedule Pruitt's got the players mentality to the point where even down two or three scores he can trust the offense and defense to get back in the game.

Am I reading and implying too much into Pruitt's stratagem with the on sides kicks and he's just always gonna be a gambler?

I swear, three times we've been so close and did everything right except for actually recovering the kick. Yesterday, that ball grazed our guy by an inch. If we had recovered two of them, most people would be very supportive of the calls.

Pruitt wants to win, but he also wants our guys to play fearless. For years they’ve played tight and scared. Now he’s putting in a culture of aggressiveness. When you play aggressive you can make more dramatic mistakes but overall it’s better than playing timid.

At some point, he won't have to worry about trick plays. Until then, I like he has the guts to try them. He's a winner, and that's exactly what he's trying to do.

Reactions: Alto1 and volsagain
View attachment 173079

I wasn't too certain what to think about Pruitt's onside kick attempts against WVA & FL.
I didn't like them at the time, they just seemed more of desperation than the gamblers calculated decision to me. Even though I didn't like the attempts at the time, I couldn't say they were the wrong call.

Then the Auburn game, even though we didn't recover, it hit me. Pruitt's playing the long game. It's a statement about changing our culture and playing to win at all costs as much for later in the year and next year as it was about the gambler's quick turnaround in those particular games. Pruitt's conditioning our team to play with the expectation to win every snap.

After today's Bama game, which I didn't see, I think I'm over the onside kicks. Short of a one possession game late in the 4th I hope we're not in a position that Pruitt wants to keep trying them.

I hope on the back end of our schedule Pruitt's got the players mentality to the point where even down two or three scores he can trust the offense and defense to get back in the game.

Am I reading and implying too much into Pruitt's stratagem with the on sides kicks and he's just always gonna be a gambler?

Pretty simple, he is seeing weak spots on teams return games and he's attacking it, just like every other part of the game. The man can flat out coach a football game and it's extremely obvious. His quote yesterday at half was not bad either. He just promised the guys that for those playing the game the right way, this $h!t want happen for long. He will recruit the other players that want to play the game the right way and then be able to compete with anyone.

He should know as he recruited most of the players he faced yesterday!

Go Damn Vols and kick the crap out of USC east jr.!

244600.gif
Did you get hman's permission before posting nudes of him? @hmanvolfan

Certainly didn't matter in this game might not want to use it against someone you have a chance to beat at the time were using it. We had them on the 9, inside the 20, etc they were still scoring on five or six plays so trying something against them to maintain possession isn't concerning to me. I wouldn't want to use it against teams like Vandy, Missouri, etc teams we should be able to stand toe to toe with need to make them have to score from as bad a field position as possible.

Reactions: volsagain
I love it , btw why are you starting a thread about a play you didn’t even see???

It was a great play , if Banks is a half inch further away from the ball it’s our ball on their 40 after just scoring a TD

It wasn't just about yesterday's attempt. I wanted some context about that one so I mentioned I hadn't seen the game.

I haven't heard Pruitt's willingness to attempt onside kicks this season discussed much so I asked about them.

Thanks guys.

I, for one, am a big fan of the onside kicks. I’ve stated it several times, I hope we onside the opening kick to SC and stun their crowd.

Reactions: Alto1
View attachment 173079

Man when I opened up this thread and seen that pic I absolutely died ...... That is awesome lololol

It’s the SEC.

Pruitt is trying to win ball games.

Coaching scared and being conservative will get you fired in this league quicker than anything.

I had no problem with the call.

The kicker is making the best on side kicks we've seen. If the other guys would just execute their part we would have had all of them so far. He hasn't kicked one yet that the other team clearly got and we had no chance for it. All of them were right there for our taking but they just have not executed after the kick.

VN Store

Back