Redshirt walk-on and more

Rumorgirl

Redshirt, in United States college athletics, is a delay or suspension of an athlete's participation to lengthen his or her period of eligibility. Typically, a student's athletic eligibility in a given sport is four seasons, like the four years of academic classes typically required to earn a bachelor's degree at an American college or university. However, in a redshirt year, student athletes may attend classes at the college or university, practice with an athletic team, and “suit up” (wear a team uniform) for play – but they may compete in only a limited number of games, (see "Use of status" section). Using this mechanism, a student athlete has at most five academic years to use the four years of eligibility, thus becoming what is termed a fifth-year senior.

The origin of the term redshirt was likely from Warren Alfson of the University of Nebraska who, in 1937, asked to practice but not play and wore a Nebraska red shirt without a number. The term is used as a verb, noun, and adjective. For example, a coach may choose to redshirt a player who is then referred to as a redshirt, and a redshirt freshman refers to an athlete in the first year of participation, after a redshirt non-participatory year.

Athletes may also use a "grayshirt" year in which they attend school, but cannot enroll as a full-time student, and do not receive a scholarship for that year. This means that they are an unofficial member of the team and do not participate in practices, games, or receive financial assistance from their athletic department. Typically, grayshirts are players who are injured right before college and require an entire year to recuperate. Rather than waste the redshirt, the player can attend school as a part-time regular student and join the team later. This is also used by players with religious or military obligations that keep them out of school for a full academic year.

"Blueshirt" athletes are those that the NCAA does not classify as a "recruited student-athlete". They have never made an official visit to the school, met with the school's athletic employees or had more than one phone call with them, or received a scholarship offer. Such athletes are walk-ons, but can receive scholarships after enrolling; although they are immediately eligible to play, their scholarships count for the school's quota in the following year. The New Mexico State Aggies football program was the first to blueshirt in the early 2000s; other football programs include Oklahoma State.[2] “ from Wikipedia all credit to them for details”

Reactions: RollerVol
I always thought that a grey shirt was allowed to practice with the team, thanks for clearing that up. no wonder no one wants to greyshirt.

That makes sense for the freshman. Harper Cook doesn't have a number, has already red shirted, so unless it's medical of some kind? Then the Barker kid is listed as a junior from a JUCO, seems odd he'd want a sit out a year.

That makes sense for the freshman. Harper Cook doesn't have a number, has already red shirted, so unless it's medical of some kind? Then the Barker kid is listed as a junior from a JUCO, seems odd he'd want a sit out a year.

Not only sit out but can't practice either

Any of those kids need to move on imo

Not only sit out but can't practice either

Any of those kids need to move on imo

Well, I'm not qualified to discuss what any of them should do, in terms of their baseball career...I just find it odd that upperclassmen, unless there's a medical issue, and we don't know that info, would be asked to red shirt, especially if one already has.

I also find it odd that you would have 8 Red Shirt Freshmen. I mean, I've looked at a lot of SEC rosters over the years and I don't recall ever seeing 8 redshirts from one class. I'm not saying it's never happened or it's not possible, it just strikes me as odd.

Anyway, how goes it Bruin?

Well, I'm not qualified to discuss what any of them should do, in terms of their baseball career...I just find it odd that upperclassmen, unless there's a medical issue, and we don't know that info, would be asked to red shirt, especially if one already has.

I also find it odd that you would have 8 Red Shirt Freshmen. I mean, I've looked at a lot of SEC rosters over the years and I don't recall ever seeing 8 redshirts from one class. I'm not saying it's never happened or it's not possible, it just strikes me as odd.

Anyway, how goes it Bruin?

I am
Good thanks for asking

Yea it's extremely odd to have 8 players redshirt in baseball

I am
Good thanks for asking

Yea it's extremely odd to have 8 players redshirt in baseball

Good, man, glad to hear it!!!

I just took a peak at VU's roster, they have 4 Redshirts total, only 1 redshirt Freshman.

Arkansas has 8 total, 1 Freshman...

UGA has 11, 4 Freshmen...

Missouri has 1 total, a RS Senior...

USCe has no redshirts...

UK has 6 total, 2 Freshmen

UF doesn't have their 2019 roster up yet, but the 2018 team had no redshirts at all.

I would also point out that on the official roster, none of those 8 have the designation of RS yet.

Good, man, glad to hear it!!!

I just took a peak at VU's roster, they have 4 Redshirts total, only 1 redshirt Freshman.

Arkansas has 8 total, 1 Freshman...

UGA has 11, 4 Freshmen...

Missouri has 1 total, a RS Senior...

USCe has no redshirts...

UK has 6 total, 2 Freshmen

UF doesn't have their 2019 roster up yet, but the 2018 team had no redshirts at all.

I would also point out that on the official roster, none of those 8 have the designation of RS yet.

I am not saying redshirts are that rare I am saying redshirts that also don't practice are that rare

We have to redshirt them.

Only 35 allowed on the roster

You could be right...in the past, as the season gets closer, some guys move on...I mean there are 43 guys on this roster right now. That's almost an NFL roster, lol.

You could be right...in the past, as the season gets closer, some guys move on...I mean there are 43 guys on this roster right now. That's almost an NFL roster, lol.

If they are on the roster that means they didn't transfer at the break.
Imo that was a mistake for those not on the 35

Like I said, I'm not saying it's never happened, I just haven't ever seen anything like this that I can recall.

Only 33 guys have numbers. Seems as though the other 10 are fighting for the last 2 spots. I assume this will go/can go all the way to Feb 15th.

Only 33 guys have numbers. Seems as though the other 10 are fighting for the last 2 spots. I assume this will go/can go all the way to Feb 15th.

Will be interesting to see if we can only have 34. If pence was on scholarship he counts as one of the 35

VN Store

Back