PATTERN FOR THE SEASON

tennesseeduke

Simple breakdown of yesterday and it's the same issue all season. The really experienced or really good QB's we faced this year, know exactly how to beat our Defense. (WV, GA, Florida, Missouri, Bama, USC) These are the teams that exposed us. Note all six losses are to teams with Good QB's! Auburn is our only win against a team that supposed to have an experienced or good QB. I don't think he is good but he does have experience.

It's the statement, "You are who you are at this point" thought. Or "We are who we think we are"!

Yesterday true Freshman DB's playing against the 3rd leading passer in SEC history. Bad match up. Moving on to Vandy.
It makes me nervous for the road game at Candy this week now based on the season's pattern.

Here are Shurmer's stats: Kyle Shurmur College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Thoughts?

Reactions: savannahfan
Another bad matchup for the defense. Our offense is too helter skelter to rely on. Honestly it hasn't been good all year. I'd make Vandy about a 3 point favorite. I'd take Vandy and the points if i were a betting man.

Reactions: LibertyVolance
Made reference to this point yesterday.

Every decent to good QB has had it's way with this defense this year. And Shurmur has a near 1000 yard rusher in Vaughn and a couple of good receiving options in Pickney and Lipscomb to help him out.

I don't see Shurmur making enough mistakes to keep the Vols in the game and its painfully obvious the Vols offense is incapable of playing a mistake free game or putting enough drives together to win many games.

Simple breakdown of yesterday and it's the same issue all season. The really experienced or really good QB's we faced this year, know exactly how to beat our Defense. (WV, GA, Florida, Missouri, Bama, USC) These are the teams that exposed us. Note all six losses are to teams with Good QB's! Auburn is our only win against a team that supposed to have an experienced or good QB. I don't think he is good but he does have experience.

It's the statement, "You are who you are at this point" thought. Or "We are who we think we are"!

Yesterday true Freshman DB's playing against the 3rd leading passer in SEC history. Bad match up. Moving on to Vandy.
It makes me nervous for the road game at Candy this week now based on the season's pattern.

Here are Shurmer's stats: Kyle Shurmur College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Thoughts?
He will have another Heisman day Saturday

We'll need to have a better focus on zero turnovers, zero penalties, zero blown assignments, and win the field position battle every time to give Vandy an opportunity to shoot themselves in the foot instead of us beating us for them.

Sack the quarterback early and shake him up early so it can pay dividends down the road later in the game. Pressure on the quarterback is what encourages things like hurried passes, batted passes, incompletions, and yes, fumbles and interceptions.

Starve the enemy of free extra possessions off turnovers and free extra yards off penalties, and we're in much better position to make a real game of it. If you have better field position than the opponent the whole game, you'll score more and prevent more of their scores.

Of course blocking assignments on offense and wrapping up to tackle on defense.

Thoughts?

I have been thinking along the same lines after watching our game and the Vandy game. Here are my thoughts.

All year really good QBs and experienced players have handled us with ease most of the time.
Though Vandy's QB is no Lock, he is good and experienced, as is his team. This being said, I fear we may be in for a long afternoon, again....

Thoughts?

Putting Felipe Franks in the "really experienced / really good QB" is ridiculous. He is neither. He was made serviceable by Mullen with simple screen passes and a good running backfield.

Last edited:
O-line has to block better and D-line has to create more havoc. Those are our glaring weaknesses. If we play like hungry dogs next week we win. I think Pruitt will have them ready to go.

Reactions: OneVolNation

Thoughts?

Last year 11/11/2017 , we got beat by Missouri 50 to 17 sound familiar? We had Brady Hoke as head coach, our current 4th string QB Will McBride at QB

Just a little FYI fact my friends...Last night Shurmur passed Jay Cutler in the Candy record books and Cutler was a starting NFL QB for several years.

It seems that too many here on VN don't know a good QB even when we see him right in front of our faces.

I think Shurmur is as good or better than Lock but he's just not on a whole team as good as Mizzou.

His dad also happens to be a NFL coach so you know that he gets extra coaching from dad, other NFL coaches and players.

I would have been real happy to have had Shurmur as our QB these last few years.

The only chance we have to get the WIN is if our Team that dominated kenSucky shows up and plays better than they did against the mildkittens.

Both teams are going to be playing for a bowl game bid so I hope our Vols want to go bowling lots more than the commode doors do.

Candy fans were also fired up and LOUD last night so we better pack their crap stadium and bring the noise.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: OneVolNation
geez, guys not disagreeing with ya'll...just hard to hear we have practically no chance to win...well, I just keep hoping that somehow we show up...

GO VOLS...BEAT VANDY!

Another bad matchup for the defense. Our offense is too helter skelter to rely on. Honestly it hasn't been good all year. I'd make Vandy about a 3 point favorite. I'd take Vandy and the points if i were a betting man.

Defense isn’t good enough to stop good offenses. And offense isn’t good enough to keep up.

Reactions: 1967vol
Defense isn’t good enough to stop good offenses. And offense isn’t good enough to keep up.
That is about it in a nutshell. Vegas will have Vandy a 10 point favorite, IMO.

Last edited:

Thoughts?

Not sure I would put Florida in that group. We beat ourselves that game, and Franks isn't really that good.

geez, guys not disagreeing with ya'll...just hard to hear we have practically no chance to win...well, I just keep hoping that somehow we show up...

GO VOLS...BEAT VANDY!
I have a feeling the stats are agin us in this one.

I watched Vandy last night. Vaughn is good, so is Shurmer. I am afraid they will eat us alive. Sorry to say so, but you know they want to win as much as we do and they have good players. It's demoralizing, but it is what it is.

Reactions: Orange_Vol1321
We are who we are. 5-6.

We made Shurmer look like a Heisman candidate last year. We shall see.

Another pattern of the season is bouncing back and playing better the week after bad games.

This is about the only hope. AUs was the "noon game" and it worked. UK was "down after losing SECe" and that worked. I'll hang my hat on yet another totally weak theory. Eternal fan here.

Thoughts?
Franks and Bentley aren’t as good as those others you name. They are streaky, much like JG. But they managed the game well and had a running game vs the Vols. Makes a difference.

Shurmur is having a nice season, and is more than capable of carving us up like he did the previous two years. Look at those stats from 2016 and ask how he hung 400 yards and 45 points on us. It’s really this simple. If our DL doesn’t produce a consistent pass rush we are going to lose, and likely by a wide margin. This defense needs turnovers to survive, because we don’t get enough 3 and outs.

Reactions: dcm3w

VN Store

Back