The real issue

Eastknox865

The real problem with this team is Butch recruited small linemen with the thought of adding weight and they could be a fast athletic group. Small athletic linemen are not big uglies at all. An offensive lineman should play violent but these guys are not built that way. The other issue I see is the overall team speed or lack of. The WR as a unit are very slow, the linebackers are very slow, the defensive ends omg they couldn't catch my grandmother. Coaches have made some mistakes yes but you can't make a UNIT who isn't big and mean to play violent. You can't make slow guys faster. Combine those issues with mental mistakes and turnovers you have the 2018 Tennessee VOLS. Recruiting is the key, the problem for us as fans we have been stuck in a 10 year rebuilding process.

While the OL is a major concern, I don’t believe it’s as bad as everyone thinks....hear me out.

These players have been in the same system for their entire college careers under butch jones. Now, they are less than a year under not one, not two, but three different systems (defense, offense, special teams). It is a HUGE learning curve for guys that werent recruited for, or have never played in this kind of system.

It is GOING TO TAKE TIME to instill the system. That’s why teams like Missouri, Vandy and South Carolina are so competitive. They’ve had the same systems in place for years to maintain stability. Only time and recruits will fix that.

The real problem with this team is Butch recruited small linemen with the thought of adding weight and they could be a fast athletic group. Small athletic linemen are not big uglies at all. An offensive lineman should play violent but these guys are not built that way. The other issue I see is the overall team speed or lack of. The WR as a unit are very slow, the linebackers are very slow, the defensive ends omg they couldn't catch my grandmother. Coaches have made some mistakes yes but you can't make a UNIT who isn't big and mean to play violent. You can't make slow guys faster. Combine those issues with mental mistakes and turnovers you have the 2018 Tennessee VOLS. Recruiting is the key, the problem for us as fans we have been stuck in a 10 year rebuilding process.

Some of us might not have another 10 years to stick around.:D

I think the biggest issues are strength and conditioning and SEC caliber players. We wre on our 3rd S&C program since 2015. Look at the top teir programs and you will see long tenured S&C coaches for the most part. Strength and conditioning is the most important non HC position on a staff. If you dont have a good S&C program, you are doomed.

Botch had a habit of recruiting guys that were undersized for a reason. They fit his offensive system. Smaller, quicker OL to make better use of his system. Obviously that is an abject failure in the SEC. botch was just in over his head. Like the 2 losers that preceeded him, he wasnt qualified to be a coach at TN. You cannot recruit small OL and hope to beef them up. Look at what Pruitt is recruiting. Bigger guys that will adjust much easier to the SEC.

While the OL is a major concern, I don’t believe it’s as bad as everyone thinks....hear me out.

These players have been in the same system for their entire college careers under butch jones. Now, they are less than a year under not one, not two, but three different systems (defense, offense, special teams). It is a HUGE learning curve for guys that werent recruited for, or have never played in this kind of system.

It is GOING TO TAKE TIME to instill the system. That’s why teams like Missouri, Vandy and South Carolina are so competitive. They’ve had the same systems in place for years to maintain stability. Only time and recruits will fix that.
Not buying the system these guys are not physical and to be honest just soft. I actually played Football it's not that difficult. If you don't know who to hit just hit somebody. This line doesn't like contact. Pay attention to this Saturday, on running plays while 5 players takle our back or wr you'll see at least 3 of our offensive linemen just standing there watching instead of hitting somebody. Just watch and tell me if I'm wrong. That's mindset not system.

Last edited:
Not buying the system these guys are not physical and to be honest just soft. I actually played Football it's not that difficult. If you don't know who to hit just hit somebody. This line doesn't like contact. Pay attention to this Saturday, on running plays while 5 players takle our back or wr you'll see at least 3 of our offensive linemen just standing there watching instead of hitting somebody. Just watch and tell me if I'm wrong. That's mindset not system.

In the SEC?

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
And please guys and gals please don't think for one minute I'm saying the line is the only problem but the points I made in my humble opinion is the biggest problem.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Tennessee's problems are vast and the Oline is just one of the problems, there are several

The Vols need hard nosed football players and they dont have them

The defensive line is not very good either.

Every time i read one of these threads its like getting punched in the gut from one of our EX loser coach want to bes. Every time we lose its a rehash from someone on why they think an EX coach screwed us over. I love our Vols and hate when we lose. I want to be competitive again. But most of all i want the day to come when we dont have post after post about EX coaches mistakes.

VN Store

Back