Is this Pruitts biggest career game?

secking

At first glance, I would say it’s still early to say that and would say no. But with that said, the importance of this game cannot be understated. This game alone will make his job easier or harder than he originally thought. Opportunity is in TN’s hands and a good showing can erase what started the TN downfall two years ago and can swing the arrow back up. Essentially this is a mulligan game from what should have been a springboard two years ago. Had TN won that game, they are Sugar Bowl bound and recruiting really takes off for Butch. If TN wins this game, recruiting can really take off for Pruitt.

On to the game, on paper, Tn should win. People have pointed to the talent being the difference in games this year as the biggest culprit, it’s the opposite, Tn far outweighs Vanderbilt on the field. This game will be about coaching as the Vols have the talent advantage at every position. On paper, this is a 42-21 game but games aren’t played on paper. Tn is 15th in total talent, Vandy is 45th. They have double the 2 stars than they do 4 stars.

Pride, UT football players don’t want to be the guys who lost to Vandy 3 years straight, first time since 1926.

This game is big, very big for recruiting as guys want to go to postseason play, they love the Swag Bag but coaches want those extra practices to build for next year, they need them. Pruitt said himself that postseason play is expected at Tn. I agree and it’s not like days of old where you needed to be 7-4 or better to get a bowl. Everyone goes to a bowl now. Pitch is easy in recruiting with a win, telling the recruits that if we can go bowling this year, imagine the bowls you will play in if you come, this is our floor, good times ahead. It starts Saturday. Tn has to go to a bowl to keep the arrow pointing up.

They will, Tn 28 Vandy 17.

Reactions: trion23
As far as Pruitt's soon-to-be 12 game HC career goes, yes I would say this is his biggest game. A loss is not detrimental, but a win would translate to tremendous success in his first season and toward recruiting and development.

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
I mean based on implications yeah it is the biggest game of the year. Beat a rival who has owned us for two years and we get back to a bowl game with more momentum going into next year. Lose and we miss out on a bowl game, drop 3 to Vandy for the first time since 1926 & maybe some recruiting momentum.

The implications and momentum going forward for this game are huge, how can anyone think otherwise?

I would think recruits would want the warm fuzzies that Tennessee is really headed in the right direction. We need to keep the ones committed and land a few more big ones. However, I don't think it's CJP biggest career game.

I think Pruitts career game is still a few yrs off. I think it will take that at least to start competing for the east again.

At first glance, I would say it’s still early to say that and would say no. But with that said, the importance of this game cannot be understated. This game alone will make his job easier or harder than he originally thought. Opportunity is in TN’s hands and a good showing can erase what started the TN downfall two years ago and can swing the arrow back up. Essentially this is a mulligan game from what should have been a springboard two years ago. Had TN won that game, they are Sugar Bowl bound and recruiting really takes off for Butch. If TN wins this game, recruiting can really take off for Pruitt.

On to the game, on paper, Tn should win. People have pointed to the talent being the difference in games this year as the biggest culprit, it’s the opposite, Tn far outweighs Vanderbilt on the field. This game will be about coaching as the Vols have the talent advantage at every position. On paper, this is a 42-21 game but games aren’t played on paper. Tn is 15th in total talent, Vandy is 45th. They have double the 2 stars than they do 4 stars.

Pride, UT football players don’t want to be the guys who lost to Vandy 3 years straight, first time since 1926.

This game is big, very big for recruiting as guys want to go to postseason play, they love the Swag Bag but coaches want those extra practices to build for next year, they need them. Pruitt said himself that postseason play is expected at Tn. I agree and it’s not like days of old where you needed to be 7-4 or better to get a bowl. Everyone goes to a bowl now. Pitch is easy in recruiting with a win, telling the recruits that if we can go bowling this year, imagine the bowls you will play in if you come, this is our floor, good times ahead. It starts Saturday. Tn has to go to a bowl to keep the arrow pointing up.

They will, Tn 28 Vandy 17.
Where is this “paper” that insists we are twice as good as Vandy? I would like to see it , cause for the last couple of years tha play on the field by “players” (not coaches) tells me different

It's important to me. I said when Pruitt was hired I would rate him on how this game was played. He has 3 times the budget, makes twice as much as the Vandy coach, has higher rated players and assistants plus 11 games under his belt. I am confident that he will succeed but if not.....

It's a must win game every season for any UT coach. No excuses accepted.

It's not career defining but it could get momentum swung in the right direction. Think a bowl game and some extra press could do this program good on the recruiting front.

Another loss to Vandy kills some of the good will built up from Auburn and KY. Vandy isnt any better than either of those teams.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
No... it is decidedly not the most important game of his career. One could argue that his biggest career games have been played in Tuscaloosa by guys wearing crimson ( Natty anyone). But it is also not his biggest game wearing orange. His biggest game thus far was Kentucky because it was an in conference game against a ranked opponent in our division. That was a statement game about what he and the coaching staff are capable of with our current talent level.

Its the biggest game of the year to me because if we win it gives me 1 more opportunity to observe this staff and team, and in general, it gives me ( if we win ) 1 more chance to watch my favorite team of all my favorite teams amongst all the sports I follow.

I said in the thread "Which remaining game do you most want to win?" that Vandy was because we need to get back to beating them on a consistent bases. With that said, I think because of what is at stake and the need for the extra practices that this may be the biggest game to date in his HC career.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doberman
This is the game with the most important implications for Pruit at TN this year. This is especially true following the performance following the last game. I just don't believe this team can beat that Vandy team. If he can somehow beat Vandy, I will be impressed

The Vandy game will show us the true heart of this team and what we can expect next year. Knowing a bowl game is on the line, are the players going to play like their just waiting for the season to be over, or are they going to come out and play like they have something to prove? Against Missouri it sure looked like a lot of them are just ready to end this season.

The coaches can preach pride, but this is where the formal, and informal, leaders on this team need to make a difference. Knowing what's at stake, they need to call out players who don't seem to be giving it their all in practice, and especially the game. Sometimes as a leader you have to risk p*ssing off your teammates to get the most out of them.

It's sad to think, that his first game to coach against Vandy, in his first season as a head coach ever, is CJP biggest career game. Not that I do, sure there have been some let downs this season. Whether this game with Vandy is one or not is yet TBD, but not a biggest of his career game, yet.

As far as Pruitt's soon-to-be 12 game HC career goes, yes I would say this is his biggest game. A loss is not detrimental, but a win would translate to tremendous success in his first season and toward recruiting and development.
All losses are detrimental in some regard. They only play 12 games a year. Lose this one and appropriate comparisons to Butch Jones' first season will be made. Same record, losing to Vandy to miss bowl season, big wins wiped out the very next week by bad losses, irritating (for different reasons) personalities, etc. Win and all that evaporates.

If you narrow it down to, as the HFC at UT?

Its important from a perspective standpoint.

With a win, you can't deny a good positive step forward from the ditch in which the trumpet blower left us (game difference in the win total) Makes for an easier sell to finish this class with some good pieces. Extra practice time for a roster than returns a lot of players. Fans for the most part will be "satisfied" for year 1.

With a loss, You have a couple good wins but only marginally better than last year in total wins. You're having to lean a little more on vision than tangible success (by comparison to where you were). You lose the extra practice. Fans are little more skeptical about the results of year 1 and little less enthusiastic about year 2.

I don't want to put too much emphasis on 1 game. AU and KY didn't mean we re back and UF and Mizzou didn't mean Fulmer got it wrong, but from a perception standpoint, Pruitt can gain a little with a win. Even if its Vandy.

VN Store

Back