Seat Donations....SIAP

But just as imagination helps when designing a football offense, so can it enhance tax strategies. Beginning this season, Ole Miss offered 22 prime tailgate sites near a stadium entrance for a $17,500 donation per season. The sites have all amenities except catering. Many sites were rented for this season, said a spokesperson with the Ole Miss Athletics Foundation.
The donation for the tailgate sites is 82% tax-deductible.
Yep. If the tax code explicitly states that a donation towards the seat isn't tax-deductible, then just offer a chance for the donation to go somewhere else, like for a tailgate spot.

SIAP in the thread title = I didnt even scroll the first page to see if it had already been posted.

Reactions: Mightyvol
I totally support UTAD putting together package deals for high rollers with the intent of making a lot of money to pay for whatever it takes to win a National Championship (go big or stay home) while lowering the cost of admission, concessions, etc., for us average jimmy’s and jolene’s. Million bucks to spend game night in a hot tub while being catered by Hooters. Throw in tons of UT bling and old Adidas clothing. Throw in an autographed football by everybody on the team and have Kenny Chesney serenade those that haven’t passed out during halftime. Let some of the crew call a couple plays. If they work, hire them on the spot. Sorta kidding. Sorta not.

Reactions: Tetonvol
It’s not just the high rollers though, since seats require a donation. 80% of the donation used to be tax deductible and now it’s not.

I wonder if/how it would affect online ticket marketplace prices.

I wonder if this is also affecting the funds needed for the new renovations. And another reason Phil slowed all that down

I wonder if this is also affecting the funds needed for the new renovations. And another reason Phil slowed all that down

Absolutely affected timing of renovation. It will be interesting to see how donations go this year. One tax strategy is to bunch donations, so multiple years are made in single year.

Reactions: sport3500
According to Mr College Football, SEC has been preparing for loss of seat donations thus the SEC network launch.

I think raising prices this year is reflected in the empty seats at many conference games. Just saying maybe the year after the worse season in program history is not the time to hike prices. And I only go to one game a year. I don't know how people afford season tickets and parking and oh yeah . . . those donations.

Reactions: GoVols15
Number of donors already dropped.

Feb of 2017 there were 14,159

Feb of 2018 there were 11,837

Will likely drop again with new tax law.

VN Store

Back