Lady Vols Basketball - Turnovers and Free Throws

Spook1

Ancient Vol
Turnovers was a huge factor in several lost games last year. It is even worse with this last game with 21 turnovers...take care of the ball is as simple as it gets. One of our new freshmen players had 7 of those turnovers. We were around 66% with free-throw shots. With Coach HW, it is not going to get any better either!!! What happens when we begin to play ranked teams? Shoronna Reaves is the best recruiter in the nation...she brings them in unfortunately Harley Warlick cannot coach them. Imagine the Vols have the best mens coach in the nation and the worst with Worlick. Barnes absolutely would not tolerate that huge amount of turnovers and missed free throws. Lady Vols basketball will not be tops again until Warlick is gone. Attendance will be around 7 to 8 thousand per game....under Summit we lead the nation in attendance.

Turnovers was a huge factor in several lost games last year. It is even worse with this last game with 21 turnovers...take care of the ball is as simple as it gets. One of our new freshmen players had 7 of those turnovers. We were around 66% with free-throw shots. With Coach HW, it is not going to get any better either!!! What happens when we begin to play ranked teams? Shoronna Reaves is the best recruiter in the nation...she brings them in unfortunately Harley Warlick cannot coach them. Imagine the Vols have the best mens coach in the nation and the worst with Worlick. Barnes absolutely would not tolerate that huge amount of turnovers and missed free throws. Lady Vols basketball will not be tops again until Warlick is gone. Attendance will be around 7 to 8 thousand per game....under Summit we lead the nation in attendance.
That will all chanve when she sures up the rotation. The 5 in 5 out right now is street ball. Things will change with competition.

I actually feel like the turnover situation has been better this year. In the second game 6 of the 16 were poorly called offensive fouls; that was a terribly officiated game. The last game was like a JV game and we got sloppy once we were up big. I felt our ball control was much better and there weren't as many bonehead passes. Two years ago I watched more balls fly into the third row than I could take, at least now the turnovers are on players making a move to the basket.

Most of the TOs have been dead ball turnovers as well, fewer live ball TOs leading to transition for the other team. When you look at several of the players who left the program that were turning the ball over so much, they are still turning it over, guess you can't blame Holly now. Harris also has 5 TOs on the season and we all know her minutes will decrease against better teams. Our core players are actually taking pretty good care of the ball.

So didn't find anything to gripe about in the first few games this year, I guess...............

I am encouraged to see that we are absolutely burying those teams that we should and by wide margins - hasn't always been that way in the past.

more importantly, we aren't losing our hunger even into the 4th Q...
Up 60 and still focused.

I like it

That will all chanve when she sures up the rotation. The 5 in 5 out right now is street ball. Things will change with competition.

I hope your optimism is correct on turnovers. I seriously doubt that it will change as the Lady Vols have been "turnover junction" for the last 3 years under her. Coach Barnes absolutely would not tolerate those turnovers...look at his team as they usually average around 5 to 6 per game. Either you control the ball or you are one the bench with him.

Reactions: mcannon1
Some good points both ways, but shouldn't we be playing some of the young ones with the starters, so they can get a feel for what each other like or dislikes? Continuity, is something I think needs to be working now. I'm sure they mix it up a little in practice (at least I hope), but we need it when the real lights come on. JMO! Go Lady Vols!

Spook,after three games,the Vols are averaging almost 12 turnovers per game. Better than our Lady Vols,but double what you stated. Turnovers have been and remain problematic for the Ladies,but when you argue a point,please at least use true statistics.

You are correct on the turnovers by the UT men, just checked it based on you pointing this out...first game 16, second and third game 11 each and last game 13 for the 12 average. My original statement was based on the average last year from memory...remember many games under 10. Barnes will get them under 10 as the season progresses. On the other hand the Lady Vols have gotten worse with each game. First game 12, second game 15, third game 16 and last game 21. When they get into the "heat" of the season, those turnovers will cost them some games.

You cant compare mens vs womens basketball with every single statistic. In general the womens game has more turnovers per game than the men. I look at box scores every night for numerous men amd women teams, the womens game for whatever reason just happen to average more per game.

Reactions: RollerVol
You cant compare mens vs womens basketball with every single statistic. In general the womens game has more turnovers per game than the men. I look at box scores every night for numerous men amd women teams, the womens game for whatever reason just happen to average more per game.
Absolutely correct!

As long as your forcing more turnovers than you are committing not going to have a problem. The point of any game is to win the turnover battle. Win the shots to goal, free throws and rebounds. You don't want to commit turnovers but if you force thirty and commit 20 your still likely to win. This year I am more concerned with us getting more shots than the opposing team. Last year we were giving up more shots that we were getting in a lot of games. This year I am hoping we can create 15 to 20 more shots than the opposition. If you can get 60 and make 25 you win over a team that gets 40 and makes 20. Even though they shot 50 percent you win the game with a lower percentage because of your ability to get more turnovers and offensive rebounds and keep their shots to a minimum.

This years team only be concerned with turnovers if were making more than we are forcing. Not a worry with our style of play if we turn it over 20 times as long as the other team turns it over more.

Reactions: Undercovervol
Did you see the men's game against GA Tech? Don't remember how many TO's but they shot less than 60% from FT line.

Reactions: ruvol
can't argue that turnovers can get you beat...that's not disputable...it's what you do to win to counter the turnovers that matter the most...:)

GO LADY VOLS!

I actually feel like the turnover situation has been better this year. In the second game 6 of the 16 were poorly called offensive fouls; that was a terribly officiated game. The last game was like a JV game and we got sloppy once we were up big. I felt our ball control was much better and there weren't as many bonehead passes. Two years ago I watched more balls fly into the third row than I could take, at least now the turnovers are on players making a move to the basket.

Most of the TOs have been dead ball turnovers as well, fewer live ball TOs leading to transition for the other team. When you look at several of the players who left the program that were turning the ball over so much, they are still turning it over, guess you can't blame Holly now. Harris also has 5 TOs on the season and we all know her minutes will decrease against better teams. Our core players are actually taking pretty good care of the ball.

Even when "way up" there is no excuse for missed f-throws. This many turnovers will bleed over. If someone is not playing with attention to detail, take them out. Playing them for experience may be the reason to leave a gal in. Well, bad experience will bleed over to when it really counts. However, saying "really counts" doesn't ring the same now days. The powers that be look at your whole season to make decisions at tourney time.

Even when "way up" there is no excuse for missed f-throws. This many turnovers will bleed over. If someone is not playing with attention to detail, take them out. Playing them for experience may be the reason to leave a gal in. Well, bad experience will bleed over to when it really counts. However, saying "really counts" doesn't ring the same now days. The powers that be look at your whole season to make decisions at tourney time.

Trust me, I've said the other things in previous posts. I stated I felt Evina should have her starting spot temporarily taken until she can shoot better than 70% from the line and everyone lost their mind lol. I just don't feel we're having nearly the same problems this year is in the last few years.

Reactions: mcannon1
Not all turnovers are created equally. The charges are mental lapses for sure, but it's not as bad as throwing the ball away--players trying to be aggressive is better than the alternative, passive basketball, which is what this team has struggled with the past 10+ years.
Evina still makes some questionable passes, but again, she's trying to be aggressive. Unless it gets excessive, I can't fault her for that either. Our offense as a whole has looked a bit better this year, so I think they're making progress.

Reactions: Ladyvolfan4ever
Trust me, I've said the other things in previous posts. I stated I felt Evina should have her starting spot temporarily taken until she can shoot better than 70% from the line and everyone lost their mind lol. I just don't feel we're having nearly the same problems this year is in the last few years.

Give me one afternoon with her

can't argue that turnovers can get you beat...that's not disputable...it's what you do to win to counter the turnovers that matter the most...:)

GO LADY VOLS!

Some turnovers are turnovers and others are TURNOVERS
Blindside steals, triple-trapped, maybe ok with a TO but mindless dribbling off the foot, passing to the ghost, things like that are "teaching moments" and the best place to teach them is in the moment

Evina ain’t going nowhere Outside of the starting line up unless she is injured.

The only person who is iffy in the starting line up is KK.

Reactions: Pat4life
My theory on playing Miss St. is to put your fastest lineup out there and run the floor. McCown and Bibby are not speedsters so think we could beat them down the floor for some baskets. We don't have anybody that can guard McCown anyway probably have to pack in a zone and if you do that still have to stay out on Bibby girl can really shoot the three.

off the topic somewhat but in the game of volleyball the equivalent of turnover or missed freethrow is when the serve is out of bounds. Not only a loss possession but a point worth 4% of numbers needing to win. I noted in the recent LV Florida game there were three points lost (12%) on such serves but they won that set as well as the other two.

off the topic somewhat but in the game of volleyball the equivalent of turnover or missed freethrow is when the serve is out of bounds. Not only a loss possession but a point worth 4% of numbers needing to win. I noted in the recent LV Florida game there were three points lost (12%) on such serves but they won that set as well as the other two.

That is very different, in volleyball some service misses are expected as you want to serve as tough as possible to get the other team out of system so they can’t efficiently set the players they want to. You’ll gain significantly more points serving very tough, either from service aces, or easy shots from the other team when they don’t handle the serve well. If they can’t pass your serves well they are out of system and the setter must move to play the ball eliminating many of her hitter options, particularly the middles that generally hit .400 (usually 0.500) or better. Easy shots from an off balance outside then allow you to run your offense as efficiently as possible and set your middles. You accept the missed serves as part of doing business. There is no positive equivalent to offset a turnover in basketball.

VN Store

Back