Vols Tuesday Practice Thread: Vandy Week

Fingers

QB Jarrett Guarantano was a full participant during the open portion of today’s practice.

WR Marquez Callaway was a full participant in today’s practice after leaving Saturday’s game early with a chest injury.
-David Ubben

The inside linebacker group today included JJ Peterson and Jeremy Banks.

Kingston Harris was working with the defensive line. Looked like he was getting reps at nose tackle. The freshman had been with the offensive line since September.

Ja'Quain Blakely was with the tight ends having worked at the defensive line the past few weeks (and he played there in mop-up duty on Saturday).
- Patrick Brown

First and foremost, Jarrett Guarantano and Marquez Callaway were full participants in Tuesday's work. JG was throwing taking his normal reps as was Callaway. Both looked fine. JG threw the ball well and Callaway showed no limitations.

Jeremy Banks in individual drills was working at linebacker. Kingston Harris appeared to be getting some individual work on the defensive line.

Tennessee did bring a walk on offensive lineman into the linebacker tackling drill making the linebackers get off the lineman block and make a tackle. Something they struggled to do on Saturday against Missouri. For the defensive line it was about gap responsibility. Obviously stopping the run is key on Saturday.
- Brent Hubbs

Callaway is dealing with a chest injury and Tennessee coach Jeremy Pruitt on Monday said the junior might practice this week in a non-contact jersey. Guarantano did not suffer a concussion on Saturday, so he is not dealing with having to go through the protocol this week. The quarterback has been dealing with a neck injury in addition to the knee injury he's played through since the Florida game.

The offensive line did not do any full-line drills during the open two periods, so it's hard to know if any changes are coming. And it's possible they could come this week after freshman Jerome Carvin played the final quarter-plus against Missouri at right guard in place of Nathan Niehaus. There doesn't appear to be any injury involved as Niehaus was practicing normally on Tuesday.

Kevin Sherrer had Tennessee's inside linebackers focusing heavily on tearing off blocks, an area in which the Vols struggled against Missouri. Sherrer borrowed freshman walk-on offensive lineman Jarious Abercrombie, who is a load at 6-foot-4 and 322 pounds, and had him go up against the linebackers one by one. Abercrombie wasn't letting his teammates off easy as both Daniel Bituli and Darrin Kirkland Jr. had some trouble shedding the big man and then got some one-on-one coaching from Sherrer after their reps.
- Patrick Brown

Really? That's all you got is first?

On a side note glad to see JG and MC back at practice and not limited.

Reactions: gunner
Pretty sure Peterson has already played his 4 games so I wouldn’t expect him out there vs Vandy.
I think he'll play and I think we need him. He's too good to be on the bench and if he practices well this week I believe we'll see a lot more of him.

Reactions: feathersax
I wonder if Bates has any skills at blocking?

He obviously don't have tackling skills. Still can't see the field after all this time. Folks call KMac a bust, but he at least contributed. Bates has one tackle against SCe all year.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Abercrombie play some next year. He has the size we need. I am sure considering hes a walk on that his footwork and strength were what kept him off the field this year. I also fully expect to see Banks at LB next year.

Reactions: SmokinBob
Looks like Banks is going to LB service for good where I think he'll excel in the future. I'm certainly glad to hear JG and Callaway are OK because I felt we had little chance of beating Vandy without them.

Pretty sure Peterson has already played his 4 games so I wouldn’t expect him out there vs Vandy.

You could be right, but I remember this...

He reportedly had an Instagram post with a picture of the schedule....had 4 games circled..... Alabama, South Carolina, Kentucky and Vanderbilt. Looks like those are the 4 he’ll play this year while retaining his redshirt.

Reactions: feathersax
Hooray, JG and Calloway should be back for Saturday! I dont think you guys fully appreciate how badly that Fkd our offense (and thus our defense) last week to have them knocked out of the game so early with Mizzou's dirty hits.

VN Store

Back