Why can UT not hire a football coach efficiently?

Volfan76

Every other team in the country seems to be able to handle this process quickly and efficiently, but every coaching hire here turns into a drawn out circus. I know reports are out that Pruitt has his guy, but all of this reeks of interference from somewhere....Fulmer, Boyd, Haslam, BOT, somebody. Pruitt likely knew of Helton's departure for months and it sounded like he had a short list very quickly. I know that everybody is coming out and saying this is Pruitt's decision, but I'm not buying it. Someone has to be interfering and I'm raising the question of who? My personal opinion is Fulmer but that is just tea leaf reading.

Wouldn't surprise me if Helton's departure caught them by surprise. At least late in the game, so much so they seem to be scrambling around.

So you ignore all reports and concoct your own conspiracy theory narrative? Interesting
We've already been told someone shot the deal down with Freeze. Freeze on Finebaum when asked what happened Freeze basically said you would have to ask them. And went on to say I understand if my past scares schools and I have to live with that.

No conspiracy. Not saying it was the right or wrong move but sounds like someone did shoot down atleast Freeze coming here.

We've already been told someone shot the deal down with Freeze. Freeze on Finebaum when asked what happened Freeze basically said you would have to ask them. And went on to say I understand if my past scares schools and I have to live with that.

No conspiracy. Not saying it was the right or wrong move but sounds like someone did shoot down atleast Freeze coming here.
And it couldn't have been Pruitt making that decision?

Every other team in the country seems to be able to handle this process quickly and efficiently, but every coaching hire here turns into a drawn out circus. I know reports are out that Pruitt has his guy, but all of this reeks of interference from somewhere....Fulmer, Boyd, Haslam, BOT, somebody. Pruitt likely knew of Helton's departure for months and it sounded like he had a short list very quickly. I know that everybody is coming out and saying this is Pruitt's decision, but I'm not buying it. Someone has to be interfering and I'm raising the question of who? My personal opinion is Fulmer but that is just tea leaf reading.

Just out of curiosity if someone knows, if we already have our guy then why are we still interviewing candidates? I don't understand this logic and I agree OP, I have seen this posted in numerous posts as well about a coach already in hand. (This is not a dig on you at all OP, I am genuinely inquiring)

You don't know that it's not going smoothly... that's a fact.
That's true, I guess. We don't know what we don't know.. but it is surprising that this close to the early signing period and two weeks after Helton accepted the Western Kentucky job, we still don't have an OC.

Reactions: 08Vol
Always heard the ole saying "Study long study wrong." This though has come to be the norm for UT hiring practices take three wrong steps then end up with what is left. IMO he is not waiting to announce an OC he already has hired, simple fact they just don't have one.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
Absolutely. Could've also been Fulmer, a BOT member, big donor, or interim Chancellor. Even was reported that Sankey let the SEC schools know other info not previously released.
Except everyone has said it's Pruitt's call. Any intervention by the others you listed is made up (and some have come out publicly to deny it)

Because we hired a guy who thinks he’s Nick Saban, but in reality just got smoked in six games by over 25 points. He seems to think he can dictate to high level OCs that they have to use his buddy as their OL coach. You know, the guy that presided over the worst OL in UT history. This is a rookie coach with an unrealistic understanding of where he is on the hierarchy of coaches and total misunderstanding about where this football program stands.

Last edited:
Stupidity, greedy, cheap and dont care about the football program.
Do we not have one of the highest paid coaching staffs in the entire nation? We were paying our ex OC 1.2 million a year. How many other schools pay that kind of money for assistant coaches? We have the 2nd highest paid S&C coach in the nation.

The UT football program is a cash cow, good or bad. The school could care less if they are actually good because they will still take in the dough. Winning would bring more in but then you gotta pay people more. Makes sense to keep coaching on the cheap and field a mediocre product if you're still gonna make a ton of money. No rush to get an OC, proven or not. Mediocrity is the name of the game now.

WHO are you OR we collectively to say the process isn't efficient. With Recruiting amped up and many coaches involved in Bowl Games, it may be super efficient. The reality is you and I don't know. We just post stupid "crap" giving our lame opinions.
200wQ831AN4Z.gif

VN Store

Back