Best and Favorite Basketball Broadcasters

cardvolfan

I was watching the New Mexico vs. Colorado game last night, and the announcers were Roxxy and Bill Walton. At one point after a bad play by the Buffs, Walton said "wow, the Buffaloes really looked surprised on that....maybe they have been standing around eating too much grass." Made me laugh because that is classic Walton. Also mentioned several times about basketball being the greatest sport on earth. I have to say that I would rather listen to Walton broadcast any game because of his honesty and pure passion for the game, not to mention how funny he is. Very entertaining.

I would love to hear John Ward broadcast Saturday's game against Memphis State....I mean the Memphis Tigers. He always added passion and enthusiasm to the game, but in a professional manner. Who does everybody like as a broadcaster on a national or regional level, and why?

Reactions: Vol49er
I was watching the New Mexico vs. Colorado game last night, and the announcers were Roxxy and Bill Walton. At one point after a bad play by the Buffs, Walton said "wow, the Buffaloes really looked surprised on that....maybe they have been standing around eating too much grass." Made me laugh because that is classic Walton. Also mentioned several times about basketball being the greatest sport on earth. I have to say that I would rather listen to Walton broadcast any game because of his honesty and pure passion for the game, not to mention how funny he is. Very entertaining.

I would love to hear John Ward broadcast Saturday's game against Memphis State....I mean the Memphis Tigers. He always added passion and enthusiasm to the game, but in a professional manner. Who does everybody like as a broadcaster on a national or regional level, and why?

John Ward is my favorite. As good as he was announcing football, IMO he was even better at basketball. Another guy I liked was Mr. "string music" himself, Joe Dean. Loved those TBS/Jefferson Pilot SEC games of the 1970's and 80's.

I grew up watching Dick Enberg and Al McGuire on NBC's national broadcasts. Always liked Joe Dean and his "string music" on the SEC games. Of course, John Ward and A.W. Davis were fantastic on the the Vol Radio Network.

For current announcers, I think Stephen Bardo is the best in the business.

I like anyone who actually gives the play by play in a game. Too much of the Walton types that are talking about who knows what when someone on the floor is in the middle of a slam dunk. Guy that was with Walton at Maui really earned his money trying to keep him on subject.

Reactions: volhick
No one was better than John Ward in basketball. He was better as a basketball announcer than he was at football, IMHO.

Great video, thanks for posting. Doug Ashworth was my high school basketball coach during my senior year (1977-1978). Austin Clark came to visit one day, and we saw one heck of a CAT game.

Reactions: feathersax
It hurts me inside that every one of those Saturday night replays with John Ward on the local PBS channel weren't preserved. Hopefully they have been and they're just being kept under lock and key and kept off of YouTube.

I like anyone who actually gives the play by play in a game. Too much of the Walton types that are talking about who knows what when someone on the floor is in the middle of a slam dunk. Guy that was with Walton at Maui really earned his money trying to keep him on subject.
I liked the old Walton better.

Len Elmore, Chris Webber, Sean McDonough, Doris Burke, Laphonso Ellis, Kara Lawson

No doubt John Ward BOTTOM! Jimmy Dykes & Brad Nessler did a good job working together on games. John Chambey is pretty good. Jay Bilas blah,

Reactions: esarmstrong
Dang those were the good ole days. I remember that khaki colored tartan floor. WOW. Ward was the best . It felt just like you were there. I loved the days of the Ernie and Bernie Show. They were studs!

VN Store

Back