Today's OC List According To "Some Media".....

orangeblooded2

**Temple of Truth**
Freddie Kitchens — Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator
I still don’t think Kitchens is a realistic option for the Vols, because of the reasons mentioned here. But because of his relationship with Pruitt, we can’t totally rule him out.

Rhett Lashlee — SMU offensive coordinator
Lashlee served as Auburn’s offensive coordinator from 2013-2016. He left for UCONN after 2016 so he could call plays and install his own offense. UCONN’s offense improved immensely with Lashlee running the show in 2017.
The only thing about this hire is there’s really no reason to delay the announcement. And I can’t imagine there’s much of a buyout to deal with.

Eli Drinkwtiz — NC State offensive coordinator
We haven’t heard much about Drinkwitz since early during the search. But he runs the type of offense that Pruitt likes. It’s balanced and they control the clock (NC State was among the top 15 schools in time of possession this season). I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s still in the mix.

Brandon Streeter — Clemson quarterbacks coach
Streeter’s name was rumored early, but there hasn’t been any officially reported contact between him and Tennessee. However, I think he’d be a solid hire for the Vols. He’s essentially the offensive coordinator in waiting at Clemson, so it wouldn’t be easy to convince him to leave.
Clemson is in the College Football Playoff, so that part would line up with Matthews’ report.

Kendal Briles --- Houston Associate Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator
Outside of the baggage related to the Baylor Bears, Kendal Briles is the hottest commodity out there. We know that the Florida State Seminoles are interested in him, and it looks like he interviewed with the Vols.

As a result, it’s very possible that the two schools are in a bidding war for the offensive genius. If they are, that’s a bidding war the Vols are likely to win seeing as how they have been able to shell out money for their assistants in the past.

But such a bidding war would indeed take time, and that could be why they haven’t found their guy. Heck, even Mike Yurcich and Eliah Drinkwitz would probably want to do some serious negotiation with Tennessee football before taking the job.

Add to the list or commit as you see it.

Report: Tennessee will wait until after the early signing period to hire offensive coordinator

Jeremy Pruitt and Tennessee will now wait until after the early signing period to make a move at offensive coordinator, according to a report from Volquest.

A source inside the program tells Volquest that Pruitt won’t make a hire before the early signing period. Why? Because he is looking to find someone who checks all the boxes.

One of the biggest factors in finding a new offensive leader is recruiting, a source close to the program told Volquest. Pruitt knows this firsthand. As a defensive coordinator, Pruitt was an outstanding recruiter and wants that out of this hire, too. (Via Volquest.com)

Reactions: OptimusPrimerib
Florida State offensive coordinator search intel

This is from the Florida State SB Nation website..........reading into it, sounds like there may be a little more baggage with Briles than some more prominent programs are willing to deal with. And there may be some more negative to come.........almost seems like they've pumped the brakes on Briles too.

On the flip side, I kind of have a SLIVERof hope that Briles still comes (IF WE CAN CLEAR HIM) here based on the fact that it seems that Briles will want to Bring Lebby as his QB coach from UCF and we know its rumored that Pruitt met with Lebby. I understand I'm just grasping at straws. But WANTING to believe Matthews narrative that we "have our guy / 95% done" I wonder if we are waiting until all the skeletons are dumped out of the closet before announcing and officially signing him?

THIS IS JUST A THOUGHT / TRYING TO PIECE A JIGSAW PUZZLE TOGETHER

Reactions: VolunteerBeard
The only reason I can think that this is a good idea is if we are about to make a "let down" hire. Maybe we can keep some of the early signees before we drop a no namer on them.

Some also float the theory that they want to keep Shelton Felton (the recruiter that replaced Helton as its last allowed recruiter) on the road until ESD.

Reactions: i2amavol
If Price is right it makes Matthews look like a fool. If Matthews is right it makes Price look like a fool. I personally don't think we have a hire because there would be no reason at all to not announce before ESD. Before anyone says "it may be a coach in the playoffs or a bowl game" I will point directly at our head coach who was announced before the playoffs or bowl games.

The only reason I can think that this is a good idea is if we are about to make a "let down" hire. Maybe we can keep some of the early signees before we drop a no namer on them.

You aren't trying very hard to think of other reasons.

An equally obvious reason is that the person Pruitt wishes to hire is still coaching and wishes to finish the season. If that is the case, no announcement keeps the media out of that coach's face while he's trying to finish up at his other school.

If Price is right it makes Matthews look like a fool. If Matthews is right it makes Price look like a fool. I personally don't think we have a hire because there would be no reason at all to not announce before ESD. Before anyone says "it may be a coach in the playoffs or a bowl game" I will point directly at our head coach who was announced before the playoffs or bowl games.

They could easily both be right. Guess we'll only know once the hire is made.

Peyton Manning still Available!!! Just saying?!?!?!

giphy.gif

Last edited:
OC change isn't going to generate that much media. Pruitt was announced as our head coach on what....Dec 7th last year? Media sure didn't seem to interfere that much with him remaining at Bama for several more weeks.

Not buying the secretive new hire doesn't want it to get out junk.

I thought FSU picked up little Briles. Rae Carruth is available and apparently we only have to pay him in boxes of Cheerios.

OC change isn't going to generate that much media. Pruitt was announced as our head coach on what....Dec 7th last year? Media sure didn't seem to interfere that much with him remaining at Bama for several more weeks.

Not buying the secretive new hire doesn't want it to get out junk.
I don't buy it either.
It would make no sense to keep it quiet. Just using logic, if you are going to be the new OC at a school you would want to create as much excitement as possible before early signing to get more players interested and possibly flip some to come play for you. Keeping a hire secret screams dud hire to me if that is the case. The only person that has been mentioned that I could even think would possibly want to keep it quiet is Brandon Streeter at Clemson. He is a former player and is well respected. He would possibly be the only one that would want it quiet as to not lose any of his respect at Clemson in the likelihood he ends up back there as a HC some day. Not burning bridges so to speak. Other than that it makes no sense not to announce if there has been a hire.

Reactions: Jhilly05

VN Store

Back