8 Team Playoffs

TenUhSee

Vol For Life
discussion is heating up again to expand the current 4 team college football playoffs to 8 teams and support is growing to make this happen.

is this a good or bad idea ..... whats your opinion ?

Support from...?

It's a bad idea until the semis don't suck 75% of the time.
It has been all over r/CFB this week.
But I tend to agree with you, no need to change it until the semis don't suck.
If it has to happen, I like a six team playoff with bye games for 1 and 2.

Support from...?
you don't like to look anything up for yourself ? ...... lol
coaches like David Shaw, Scott Frost, Mike Leach and many more ... plus many sportswriters and commentators on ESPN have expressed that they would like an expansion.

Reactions: LittleVol
It would be great for the fans. I can understand why some schools could be resistant. Adding more games is always a tough sell, and there could be scheduling issues getting it done. Given that at least one team from the SEC always gets in, our conference may be ther biggest hurdle to it. I'd love to see the five major conference champions and 3 at large for an 8 team playoff personally.

If you have 4 teams, then #5 is mad and "deserves to be in."

If you have 6 teams, then #7 is mad and "deserves to be in."

If you have 8 teams, then #9 is mad and "deserves to be in."

If you have 64 teams, then #65 is mad and "deserves to be in."

Until there is enough evidence to show that they can expand and have entertaining games all throughout, and it makes logistical and financial sense to do so, it won't happen. Adding another round is adding another week to the schedule, which adds more to the student-athletes.

I just don't see them changing for a while. It is what it is. And it's still better than the BCS. There is no perfect system when you have a game like football that requires at least a week turnaround. The CFP cannot be like March Madness, and the season isn't long enough for it to be like the NFL.

I'd love to see it expand, but just don't think it's going to happen for a while.

NO! If it gets expanded, go to an 8 game season and 16 team playoff. In that roundball sport there are 66 and still gripes. Just make it mean something and leave it alone.

Reactions: feathersax
I don't care for it. Possibly 6 in the future with the top 2 seeds getting a bye. I don't think there will be more than 6 teams that will ever be good enough to win it all.

Reactions: Lizzard28
I would love for this to happen. Some people have said that they want the power 5 conferences to all get their champion in automatically. I don't agree with this however. I think the top eight teams should get in regardless of conference. I also think that Notre Dame should be looked at with a disadvantage since they do not play a championship however. I don't think that any team should have a bye week because I do not think that just because you are in 1st or 2nd place you should have that big of an advantage. Also due to the ranking system being a little fishy at times. 2nd place is not so much better than 3rd place to deserve a bye.

Let’s stsrt with 6. The two top teams with best records get first round byes. The other 4 play in the two predetermined bowl games on NYD and those winners play the two top teams in the second round and those winners play for the NC. 8 teams might be a stretch at this point but expect it to expand to at least 6 within the next 4-5 years....

I like it the way it is, every game during the season is a playoff game. Only criteria I would change is you have to win your conference to get in, this makes conference championships a first round playoff game.

Reactions: feathersax
Support from...?

It's a bad idea until the semis don't suck 75% of the time.
Part of the issue is they never allow teams outside of the Power 5 in though. Honestly I don't see a team like UCF winning it but I think they're far better than Norte Dame. Hell I could see Ohio state or Georgia definitely giving Bama or Clemson a scare.

Reactions: 08Vol
It would have to be 8. 6 is just ludicrous. You can't give teams a bye. Especially the top 2. That's just too weighted in favor of the top 2. So you might as well just go back to the two team BCS model, because 95% of the time; the top 2 are going to be there.

Reactions: 08Vol

VN Store

Back