VFL Johnnie Jones honored last week in Munford

kamoshika

TNV014.jpg

Tennessee's first-ever 1,000-yard rusher, Johnnie Jones, was honored in his hometown of Munford with a street bearing his name during a celebration on Thursday. The street that leads to the youth football field in Munford was renamed 33 Johnnie Jones Drive in his honor. Jones' head coach with the Vols, Johnny Majors, spoke at the ceremony and his UT teammates, Tony Robinson and Phil Stuart, also attended the event along with longtime Tennessee administrators Carmen Tegano and Roger Frazier.
MUNFORD CELEBRATES JOHNNIE JONES WITH STREET DEDICATION - University of Tennessee Athletics

“To have a leader in our community with the heart and work ethic of Johnnie is a gift. He is one of the most modest individuals I know, serving our city as a reserve police officer, and giving of his time teaching fundamentals of the game to the young men in the football program at Munford High School. He is a mentor and role model to many. It is my distinct pleasure to see the street renamed in Johnnie’s honor,” stated Munford Mayor Dwayne Cole.
Johnnie Jones Honored Today In Munford

TNV014.jpg

Tennessee's first-ever 1,000-yard rusher, Johnnie Jones, was honored in his hometown of Munford with a street bearing his name during a celebration on Thursday. The street that leads to the youth football field in Munford was renamed 33 Johnnie Jones Drive in his honor. Jones' head coach with the Vols, Johnny Majors, spoke at the ceremony and his UT teammates, Tony Robinson and Phil Stuart, also attended the event along with longtime Tennessee administrators Carmen Tegano and Roger Frazier.
MUNFORD CELEBRATES JOHNNIE JONES WITH STREET DEDICATION - University of Tennessee Athletics
Go, go Johnnie go......go.......
“To have a leader in our community with the heart and work ethic of Johnnie is a gift. He is one of the most modest individuals I know, serving our city as a reserve police officer, and giving of his time teaching fundamentals of the game to the young men in the football program at Munford High School. He is a mentor and role model to many. It is my distinct pleasure to see the street renamed in Johnnie’s honor,” stated Munford Mayor Dwayne Cole.
Johnnie Jones Honored Today In Munford

Every 3rd Saturday in October, I replay his run against Alabama.

It was a thing of beauty.

I remember that '83 game like it was yesterday. I was 11, living in Lenoir City and the Yale plant (where my Dad worked) had their annual picnic at LC Park. There were several radios on and when Jones broke that run, all activity stopped and everyone looked at the closest radio to listen to John Ward.

Reactions: feathersax
Had the privilege of meeting Johnnie back in the day. Never forget how well he represented the Vols. He was so nice and well spoken.
I remember when we would go the the Bama games and go down on the stretch and in the stores where they would be playing the video of Johnnies great run against Bama which got us ready for the game. Great to see him honored for giving back to his community.

We don't mention Johnnie as much as we should when discussing great RBs at UT IMO.
Agreed! STILL enjoy watching replay of UT-vandie & the great Lindsey Nelson..."Johnnie Jones, Johnnie Jones, Johnnie Jones!"

Probably had the best set of wheels as any RB ever at Tennessee. I loved the way he made the field stand still. The 83 Bama run was probably the most famous of many.

I can still hear John Ward saying “Jonathan Jones of Muummmford Tennessee!!!!!””

Wish this event was better publicized. Would have driven to Mumford for this.

Reactions: awaitingawin
Was at that 1983 Bama game in Birmingham when he broke off that 66 yard run for the winning TD. What a game and what a play by one of the all time great Tennessee tailbacks.

VN Store

Back