The Fulmer Factor

tnburban

Fulmer was a career Vol and TN born and raised. Played here. Coached here. Fired here.

It hurt him deeply.

Does he have it in him to dish out the same potential pain for Holly? Can he take the emotion and his own past pain out of the equation? It's more complicated than if Holly was some coach UT hired from another program. You can't deny that.

A d he drew. Illions from the university for losing. He pays butch millions for losing. He would not have to pay holly very much and maybe very little considering her salary is so much less than football. She could just retire and do nothing. She does not want to be AD..

Phil, do the right thing before we lose one of our greatest athletic traditions in the nation. Our university is more than football (what is left of it too).

Reactions: VOLPAT and VFL17
No way he fires her mid-season. He got axed during the season and it's a terrible way to go. The aspirations of this team are already gone and most of the fan base has checked out and is revolting, so just let her finish the season and hope for a turnaround of sorts, and hope she resigns.

A d he drew. Illions from the university for losing. He pays butch millions for losing. He would not have to pay holly very much and maybe very little considering her salary is so much less than football. She could just retire and do nothing. She does not want to be AD..

Phil, do the right thing before we lose one of our greatest athletic traditions in the nation. Our university is more than football (what is left of it too).

You’re missing the point. It’s not the money. It’s the pain of being outcast by the only thing you’ve known for a very very long time and care deeply about. Getting fired hurt him deeply. It was all he had known.

Fulmer was a career Vol and TN born and raised. Played here. Coached here. Fired here.

It hurt him deeply.

Does he have it in him to dish out the same potential pain for Holly? Can he take the emotion and his own past pain out of the equation? It's more complicated than if Holly was some coach UT hired from another program. You can't deny that.
He has a job to do. It will probaly be a tough call to make. But he has to have the Lady Vols best interest first.

Fulmer Let's see. Men BB ranked first in country. Clearly fixed. Football much work to be done. Lady Vols 12-6 could be worse. How may nanoseconds a day do you think he worries about Holly? Start to follow the men!

Fulmer Let's see. Men BB ranked first in country. Clearly fixed. Football much work to be done. Lady Vols 12-6 could be worse. How may nanoseconds a day do you think he worries about Holly? Start to follow the men!

Why follow when the women's program has led the whole way
It's been prominent for decades.

Oh, I think he is worried about it... This isn't just any women's basketball program we are talking about. But they are friends, he doesn't want to have to make a move. They still haven't missed an NCAA tournament yet and I think that is the line that can't be crossed. If Holly can pull this team together in time to get a bid to the big dance? I think she returns, even if they get killed as an 11 seed in the first round. If they miss the big dance? All bets are off and we could see a change. Regardless of what anyone here says, he does care about this program and Pat's legacy.

The Lady Vols made it loud and clear that they are not Vols. The UTAD shouldn’t allocate a cent above the revenue they pull in, and that ain’t enough to pay their share of the rent at TBA. Any focus the UTAD puts on the women’s basketball team is a waste of resources that can be used on revenue generating sports that people actually care about.

Oh, I think he is worried about it... This isn't just any women's basketball program we are talking about. But they are friends, he doesn't want to have to make a move. They still haven't missed an NCAA tournament yet and I think that is the line that can't be crossed. If Holly can pull this team together in time to get a bid to the big dance? I think she returns, even if they get killed as an 11 seed in the first round. If they miss the big dance? All bets are off and we could see a change. Regardless of what anyone here says, he does care about this program and Pat's legacy.
The Lady Vols are a national brand. At one time, they filled the gyms whereever they went and TBA was full. It was definitely fun to watch them play. A parade of fans followed them, even for regular season games. Pat was instrumental in bringing women's basketball to the forefront of the sporting world. She got them and women's basketball on TV and the rest is history. Coach Fulmer has to protect these traditions and this brand. It's clear Holly has put her heart and effort into the Lady Vols but without Pat, the staff doesn't seem to know what to do. If they don't know, is it any wonder the players are confused.

The Lady Vols made it loud and clear that they are not Vols. The UTAD shouldn’t allocate a cent above the revenue they pull in, and that ain’t enough to pay their share of the rent at TBA. Any focus the UTAD puts on the women’s basketball team is a waste of resources that can be used on revenue generating sports that people actually care about.

Nothing says "credibility" more than someone with a moniker of "Grudenhaslanded."

He will fire her early enough (or CHW will agree to part ways at seasons end) to get the best available relatively young coach that is a great recruiter and game manager.

You can bet there is a task force of 3-5 people getting a rank-ordered list of the best coaches available and perhaps even sending out feelers on if they are interested in the job.

Why follow when the women's program has led the whole way
It's been prominent for decades.

nothing wrong with following both. Coach Barnes and the team deserve the recognition and respect. Happy for them and our program.

Hope I'm wrong but I'm afraid his nickname will change from "Phil" to "one more year Phil" when the season is over and he does nothing.

When Fulmer starts to get "heat", then something will be done. As long as it's just complaining about Holly it'll probably smolder for a while. I hope I'm wrong but that's what I think. Fulmer never took any responsibility for the football team continuing to go down hill and always thought he'd fix it if given more time, so I have many doubts he'll be good at the firing part of being an AD.

Fuller knows what it is like getting fired as a coach and felt he should have been given more time to right the ship. He will not fire Holly unless they miss the NCAA tourney and even then he might give her another year to turn it around.

He'll definitely see if she can make the NCAA tourney and if not may let her go with the buyout at the end of the season. Regardless of how many we lose nothing happening until then.

No way he fires her mid-season. He got axed during the season and it's a terrible way to go. The aspirations of this team are already gone and most of the fan base has checked out and is revolting, so just let her finish the season and hope for a turnaround of sorts, and hope she resigns.
You are trying to compare apples and oranges. Phil's situation was a little different. Seemed to have a heavy political flavor to it as I think about it looking back. Now, Holly's performance over the last couple of years has magnified a career long problem she has shown as a head coach. I don't think letting her go now would be a problem for Phil. He might handle it with more grace than just "chopping" the head off the problem, but if he decides "now" is the time, I think he will not wait.

Reactions: supersmo18
You are trying to compare apples and oranges. Phil's situation was a little different. Seemed to have a heavy political flavor to it as I think about it looking back. Now, Holly's performance over the last couple of years has magnified a career long problem she has shown as a head coach. I don't think letting her go now would be a problem for Phil. He might handle it with more grace than just "chopping" the head off the problem, but if he decides "now" is the time, I think he will not wait.

Well we’ll see. It’s a difficult situation all around, no matter how you slice it.

I think you are full of it.. Who's name is on the floor of TBA?? Don't you think for one minute the women's programs are not important to the prestige of the U of Tn. Basketball, softball for sure are "big" for this school nationwide. The value of these programs can not be looked at only as to their effect on the bottom line. Their value in the social environment we live in these days and times is very important and of great value. Whether we chauvinist thinking guys from the past ( I include myself) like it or not, women are starting to really flex their muscles and being a university embracing the "times" is very important for the future success of the university.

Reactions: LVsinceJV

Nobody else has said, so I will...You are a meaningless "keyboard warrior" who spouts off without thought. We await your chauvinistic BS with great anticipation.

Oh and BTW,
GFYS

So only about 9000 bothered to show up for the #1 team in the country? While the men are having little problem selling out the arena.

The people have spoken, is Fulmer listening....?

Phil should do what should have been done for him. “Promote” her to a position in the AD office (for less money) and let her go out gracefully in honor of decades of service to the University. (Associate AD and Lady Vol Ambassador has a nice ring to it)

What will happen.

The team, enough talent, win enough to get a bid. Holly stays, gets an extension so that the young players can develop further.

The team, collapses, no bid. Holly makes passionate plea for one more year, youth excuse, assistant coaches replaced. Team improves slightly, makes bid next year, 8th seed or worse. Holly gets extension since she showed improvement.

Excuses built in.

Holly can't live up to unrealistic legacy of being a top 10 team, even though other top 10 teams are capable of accomplishing this task with less support and lesser players.

Fulmerites will defend his decision as being for the best, due to his broken heart over being fired and getting a huge payout to soften his landing for years.

Hollyites will say she was handpicked, must be good because Pat, who was suffering dementia or because she was a close friend, thought she could do it.

Sunshine pumpers will tell you who you gonna get, name the replacement who would come, as if ever coach who is more capable than her has been hired and would be unwilling to come here, meaning over 30 coaches are at their final destination dream job, or Tennessee doesn't have the money for one of the top female basketball programs to afford a coach, hard to believe either.

What should happen.

Holly fired, forced out, whatever you call it by end of weekend. Sharrona given the reins to see if she can coach as well as recruit. If she can, give her the job for another year. If she can't, go find someone who can. Waiting until the end of the year serves no purpose, teams fire coaches all the time and no one blinks an eye, however, at Tennessee, our fans believe it will cause some dramatic problem that cannot be overcome. The program needs a direction, it has not one. Name an interim, see what shakes out and go from there. There has to be at least 100 collegiate coaches and assistants who can do a better job and thousands of high school ones who could accomplish more. If you believe that Holly is in the top 100 of her profession, you are delusional. If it weren't for Pat naming her, she would never have gotten a job at a major program. How is that true? No one came for her before. Her only value was the soft shoulder for girls to cling to after Pat chewed butts. Without that strong leadership that CPS had, Holly's lack of it means the ship is without a rudder, waiting to crash. Please replace her before she does anymore damage. As such, I will no longer attend, or watch games until she is gone. It's not much, but it's my protest. I know I will not have to worry about missing out on any championship run to withhold that promise.

Reactions: Amb3096

VN Store

Back