'16 TX QB Nick Starkel

Yeah but he also threw for 14 TD/6 INT as a sophomore in 2017 at Texas A&M. Completed 60 percent of his passes for 1,793 yards in just 7 games.
Stats aren't bad. I guess we're back to asking is he an upgrade over JG? Seems JG is 50/50...some will tell you he'd be better if we had a serviceable OL. Others say he just doesn't have it. Too slow to read the D... can't make presnap reads, either.

Stats aren't bad. I guess we're back to asking is he an upgrade over JG? Seems JG is 50/50...some will tell you he'd be better if we had a serviceable OL. Others say he just doesn't have it. Too slow to read the D... can't make presnap reads, either.
I just don't see this staff going after a transfer QB. They haven't pursued any up to this point this offseason, and there have been better options/better fits than Starkel. I doubt this happens.

I just don't see this staff going after a transfer QB. They haven't pursued any up to this point this offseason, and there have been better options/better fits than Starkel. I doubt this happens.
With you there. Obvious Pruitt thinks JG is fixable. It seems he prevented Helton from playing KC more.

*knock on wood* that both JG and Shrout go down, but if thats the case I say we ride with Maurer and keep the extra scholly. If Maurer were to go down to, well, at that point you just kind of throw your hands up and say, "WTF" and put Jennings out there and read option / wildcat the rest of the year.

Too many other needs to waste another scholly. Should've just thrown Shrout out there last year imo Chryst wasn't worth it.

Have we learned nothing from wasting a scholarship on Chryst?
I agree with what someone else said in another thread regarding Chryst. He wasn't a waste. They took him because they needed an experienced backup in case JG went down. It was a smart move, and no, it didn't "add any wins" to our schedule, but you saw how much abuse JG took. I felt better about having KC as his backup than a true freshman or true sophomore.

Don’t need. Chaney and Tee gonna help JG improve . I think Maurer will pass Shrout. He’s gonna be very good. Chaney will build around team strengths. OL has to be improved because you can’t be worse than terrible. WR will be a strength.

Reactions: tbones0711
Not saying I want this kid to transfer to UT, don't know anything about him. But I always find comments on QB transfers funny, people are so emotional about QB's. Don't think I've ever seen someone post "we don't need anymore DL" or "We're all set with LB's and WR's, don't need anymore!". But with QB's people get emotional and for some reason don't want competition for their favorite.

*knock on wood* that both JG and Shrout go down, but if thats the case I say we ride with Maurer and keep the extra scholly. If Maurer were to go down to, well, at that point you just kind of throw your hands up and say, "WTF" and put Jennings out there and read option / wildcat the rest of the year.

Too many other needs to waste another scholly. Should've just thrown Shrout out there last year imo Chryst wasn't worth it.
And needlessly burn a redshirt. We needed a few new threads.

Not saying I want this kid to transfer to UT, don't know anything about him. But I always find comments on QB transfers funny, people are so emotional about QB's. Don't think I've ever seen someone post "we don't need anymore DL" or "We're all set with LB's and WR's, don't need anymore!". But with QB's people get emotional and for some reason don't want competition for their favorite.
My disdain has nothing to do with competition or him being a QB.

My disdain spurns from blowing a scholarship on a non-elite player that isn't likely to start in the one year we have them. I, personally, don't want to blow the scholarship on any 1-year grad transfer, ever, unless that player already has proven elite production at their respective position.

My disdain spurns from blowing a scholarship on a non-elite player that isn't likely to start in the one year we have them. I, personally, don't want to blow the scholarship on any 1-year grad transfer, ever, unless that player already has proven elite production at their respective position.
You don't know this. IF this guy came here and IF JG were to remain the starter, he could still go down to injuries in game 1. I guess if you think Shrout is ready then fine it is a waste. But pretty sure 9/10 coaches would take Starkel over Shrout.

This. Also with dl and other positions you play many starters and backups in every game. QB usually only has 1 or 2 play all season. People and coaches may want more than 3 scholarship QBs on the roster but very rarely do they ever need that. And with qb being a very free market economy the last 20 years or so it tends to correct itself back to 3 no matter how many you signed. Personally I'm more happy with the 3 we have then any of the transfer options that have been presented. And if jg gets hurt I'd prefer getting one of the young guys experience over having to use a scholarship on a 1 year experienced backup that may or may not be any better than what we have. I'm also not really for transfers at other positions but if we take them having 2 years like the 2 we got this class makes it more appealing.

Reactions: PoweredByTheT

VN Store

Back