Are we struggling or just getting everyone’s best?

VFLCodyGBO

WGWTFA
It seems like our D just isn’t where it needs to be. Is this something we are doing or just the nature of being the top team in the land?

Our shooting went ice cold except for GW. Considering how GW was dominating especially in the 2nd half, I couldn't believe anyone would take a shot without GW touching it first? That PG for Vandy is as fast as Bone and that block on Bowden was top 10 play material.

Reactions: lynnh
I think Pons is hurting us defensively. He gives too much help inside trying to get a block and leaves his man over and over for an open 3.

It’s the whole team doing that. Vanderbilt probably scored 40 points passing out of double teams or defensive switches.

Bama and Vandy both exploited it. We need to fix it quickly. Word has gotten out.

We seem to play suspect defense like 50% of the game, which is pretty bad. I still wouldn’t expect teams to shoot like 50% from 3 though

Reactions: feathersax
I say 70% struggling and 30% getting the other teams best. I haven't seen the stats but it felt like they ate us alive on the boards and with loose balls. That is a sign of one team wanting it more.
Rebounds were just 34-32 in Vanderbilt's favor. They had one more offensive rebound than we did and one more defensive rebound. Vandy did beat us to some of the 50/50 balls and they were definitely competing much harder as a team than they did against Miss State. For the 2nd straight game, Tennessee's opponent hit 10 3 point shots - that's a few too many and needs to be addressed.

For all of the negatives we can moan and groan about, Grant Williams is the best free throw shooter, as a post player, that I've seen in college basketball since Christian Laettner - he was 23-23 tonight and we needed every one of them. Great job!

My eyes see 3 things - guards getting beat defensively. We are struggling mightily switching on screens. Shot selection by everyone other than Williams is average to bad.

A little more of my opinion on my 3rd point. When we lose Williams in the coming year(s) I do not trust anyone else that plays signification minutes to be our go to offensively. Nobody. Please dj Burns and or JosiahJames be able to fill Williams shoes. Jmo

A bit of both. We haven't played well defensively, leaving way too many open 3s (see Vandy's first three attempts in OT), not making quick adjustments (see Vandy's hand-off offensive gameplan that took us a while to adjust to), we go spells where we get away from our own offense, and then we have a recent tendency to go into cold spells (Schofield is a prime example over the past couple games). We also have struggled to maintain early leads recently. Hot starts followed by mental lapses and cold shooting.

Beyond the physical part of the game, we are certainly getting people's best efforts. Winning in the SEC isn't easy. Winning on the road is even harder. We own 3 road conference wins now, two in close games. We are being tested, and the game tonight was the sign of a championship team. Down 6 with 1:18-ish to play, and we find a way to win.

A bit of both. We haven't played well defensively, leaving way too many open 3s (see Vandy's first three attempts in OT), not making quick adjustments (see Vandy's hand-off offensive gameplan that took us a while to adjust to), we go spells where we get away from our own offense, and then we have a recent tendency to go into cold spells (Schofield is a prime example over the past couple games). We also have struggled to maintain early leads recently. Hot starts followed by mental lapses and cold shooting.

Beyond the physical part of the game, we are certainly getting people's best efforts. Winning in the SEC isn't easy. Winning on the road is even harder. We own 3 road conference wins now, two in close games. We are being tested, and the game tonight was the sign of a championship team. Down 6 with 1:18-ish to play, and we find a way to win.
This

We were a one man team offensively and our defense was bad for the second game in a row. I love this team but if they don't start playing better defense, they will not win the SEC and won't make it to the second weekend on the Tourney. But, I have faith in them and think Admiral will hopefully get his game back on track and Barnes will make sure they start playing better D.

Reactions: walkenvol

VN Store

Back