Blow outs and PT decisions.

BruinVol

First of all this isn't about tonight and I even pointed this out on VN back in the December.

Second of all losing tonight doesn't have to be all bad and the outcome was as I expected.

Now for the purpose of the thread.

It has been my opinion since early on this season that Barnes has played many of his players too many minutes late and I mean very late in blowout games.

Tonight I thought it was apparent that williams was a step slow and didn't have the bounce in his game. He didn't run the floor hard and he looked very gassed to me.

If all those minutes are catching up to him then I pray Barnes starts really letting up on the court time for these guys.
It might be the elephant in the room but history tells us Barnes has often times seen his teams lose steam down the stretch and in March.

Anyone else think the minutes, the grind of the season, and all the contact that Grant takes might be catching up with him?

To me it looked like they came out looking tired in the first half.
Like they had been up all night and day without any rest.

I truly don't know to what extent that fatigue was a factor, and I also understand why Barnes plays the starters in blowouts either.

Reactions: telfordvol
I doubt that fatigue from playing a few extra minutes per game was an issue. More likely it was from the 7 plus minute run in the 1st half without a single whistle (from about 12:05 to 4:30 iirc). Grant was gassed -plus- he had been getting the crap knocked out of him by 3 players with 15 fouls to take that the refs were ignoring. Amazing that he knocked down a 3 at the end of that stretch.

Interesting question/answer from the presser that Wes Rucker asked.

He asked Barnes about Bone gesturing to the team to run the court with him and that was very early in the game. It was well before the long period without a stoppage. Barnes blamed that on Bone and said if he would have run the team would have run with him.

I think when Barnes sees the film he's going to see that his answer was wrong.
There were a least a few times where Bone was really frustrated with his teammates for not running with him to press the tempo

Interesting question/answer from the presser that Wes Rucker asked.

He asked Barnes about Bone gesturing to the team to run the court with him and that was very early in the game. It was well before the long period without a stoppage. Barnes blamed that on Bone and said if he would have run the team would have run with him.

I think when Barnes sees the film he's going to see that his answer was wrong.
There were a least a few times where Bone was really frustrated with his teammates for not running with him to press the tempo
Truth

They looked like they came in loose and their shots didn’t fall, so they buckled down and their shots still didn’t fall.

When their shots fall they drub teams when their shots don’t fall they usually win anyway.

Reactions: Volanta
Minus Bone, Tennessee didn't look interested tonight. Every game this season, they looked hungry and confidence 100% on point. This loss is exactly what they needed
Because Uk came out and punched them in the mouth and quite frankly they didn’t like it.

Lmao at thinking when you’re 20 years old how many minutes you played 3 nights ago effects you 10 minutes in to a Top 5 matchup.

First of all the OP didn't say anything about 3 nights ago. It was about all year and the collection of all the minutes played.

Second of all pointing out he played lathargic early in the game furthers the possibitly he's wearing down overall.

Last edited:
First of all the OP didn't say anything about 3 nights ago. It was about all year and the collection of all the minutes played.

Second of all pointing out he played lathargic early in the game furthers the possibitly he's wearing down overall.

They went a very long time without a TO, and he was getting killed down low on both ends, I don’t think he was lethargic.

hard to argue with the lethargic effort, but they beat on us from the get-go...our terrible shooting, no paint penetration to speak of, and they shot lights out and we didn't...our foul trouble...so it looked like a combination of issues...Cats, overall, just out-played us in the best game I've seen the Cats play all year...round 2 should be interesting...and,

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Volle
They went a very long time without a TO, and he was getting killed down low on both ends, I don’t think he was lethargic.

The instances mentioned where Bone was visibly upset with Williams and others for not running the floor was before that long period of play without a stoppage.

JayB kept talking about how many times Williams was on the floor last night and I'd argue that that's just a normal nigit for him. I think many of us are underestimating just how physical the grind and the overall effect that is to his body. For the first time in his career he is over 30min and it's possible he's wearing down

The instances mentioned where Bone was visibly upset with Williams and others for not running the floor was before that long period of play without a stoppage.

JayB kept talking about how many times Williams was on the floor last night and I'd argue that that's just a normal nigit for him. I think many of us are underestimating just how physical the grind and the overall effect that is to his body. For the first time in his career he is over 30min and it's possible he's wearing down
I’ve never seen GW take that many hard falls, but ok.

Reactions: walkenvol
First of all this isn't about tonight and I even pointed this out on VN back in the December.

Second of all losing tonight doesn't have to be all bad and the outcome was as I expected.

Now for the purpose of the thread.

It has been my opinion since early on this season that Barnes has played many of his players too many minutes late and I mean very late in blowout games.

Tonight I thought it was apparent that williams was a step slow and didn't have the bounce in his game. He didn't run the floor hard and he looked very gassed to me.

If all those minutes are catching up to him then I pray Barnes starts really letting up on the court time for these guys.
It might be the elephant in the room but history tells us Barnes has often times seen his teams lose steam down the stretch and in March.

Anyone else think the minutes, the grind of the season, and all the contact that Grant takes might be catching up with him?
Outside of Bowden, we have no " quality" bench depth. Those guys just haven't developed like we all hoped they would

I’ve thought that Barnes plays the top 6 guys too much all year, minus KA maybe. We don’t need Fulk, Walker, Johnson and Pons to play lights out, but we need them to give the other 6 more breathers. We have had enough comfortable leads that they could have helped. Not to mention that they can’t really improve when they never see the court.

Outside of Bowden, we have no " quality" bench depth. Those guys just haven't developed like we all hoped they would

Walker, Pons and Johnson all could Easily have been given more developmental minutes in blowouts like I speak about in this thread. For whoever reason Barnes has played guys like williams start to finish even in games decided by more than 20pts

I agree. There's a fine line between to little work, to much work and just the right amount of work. Everyone gets worn out at times even the young bucks.

5 times tonight is how many times I counted Williams on the floor tonight. About the same as at Rupp.
If I need to GIF the falls I can, not even comparable...yes he was on the floor, but not body slammed like at UK and the announcers even mentioned this.

If I need to GIF the falls I can, not even comparable...yes he was on the floor, but not body slammed like at UK and the announcers even mentioned this.

Meh. Let's be honest grant is the master at hitting the floor Penny style. He just hasn't gotten many of those calls the past few weeks

Meh. Let's be honest grant is the master at hitting the floor Penny style. He just hasn't gotten many of those calls the past few weeks
Agree 100%, that was the difference in UK game though imo...most of those weren’t him selling it like his usually are, especially the one where he got completely undercut going for a rebound, that was a bad fall.

VN Store

Back