Why did we settle for 3's?

Did not get to watch the game. But listening to it on the radio, I got the opinion that UK's defense was that good. I think their game plan was to shut down the paint. I also got the opinion that UK was indeed fouling, but refs "were letting them play".

Reactions: OneVolNation
Bowden,Turner,and Schofield went 1-17 from three and 14 of them were wide open shots.If they just hit their averages its a total different ball game.They should have hit 10-12 of them because they where such good looks.No reason to panic just a bad shooting night from the best 3 point shooters on the team.

Was the game plan NOT to go inside like we always do? Or was KY's inside defense so good?

TN shot 7-25 of 3's.

Kentucky shot 5-13 of 3's .

Honestly, I think if we attacked the inside and was able to draw more fouls, we would have won this game.
Kentucky is a good defensive team. Hagan’s put pressure on Bone for 3/4 of the court at the start of the game. I think the pressure wore him down a little. They made passes tough. They played tight defense. There game plan was to swarm the paint if Grant got the ball around mid-range or lower. They really worked hard to keep us from touching the elbow. When we did touch the elbow we had success. It was in there game plan to make us shoot threes. We got a bunch of open threes, but we didn’t capitalize. The following pictures show there defense when Grant had the ball, when a UT player tried to touch the elbow, and when a guard tried to attack the paint.

Attachments

• 99C18144-456D-41B3-9B11-87A3CEDE1D3F.jpeg
    99C18144-456D-41B3-9B11-87A3CEDE1D3F.jpeg
    736.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 34326206-475E-4B83-8215-D24C179A5D22.jpeg
    34326206-475E-4B83-8215-D24C179A5D22.jpeg
    750.7 KB · Views: 43
  • CD6E25FC-5DC4-4041-8BA6-D2D71B82585F.jpeg
    CD6E25FC-5DC4-4041-8BA6-D2D71B82585F.jpeg
    727.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 6C48C6A1-AB57-4635-88D7-6BDD1283BB52.jpeg
    6C48C6A1-AB57-4635-88D7-6BDD1283BB52.jpeg
    504.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 1F083486-2F2A-4852-AA3F-30F0E569D037.jpeg
    1F083486-2F2A-4852-AA3F-30F0E569D037.jpeg
    721.6 KB · Views: 36
  • C2AA401D-C041-4DEA-9D28-696C057C97A7.jpeg
    C2AA401D-C041-4DEA-9D28-696C057C97A7.jpeg
    329.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Bowden,Turner,and Schofield went 1-17 from three and 14 of them were wide open shots.If they just hit their averages its a total different ball game.They should have hit 10-12 of them because they where such good looks.No reason to panic just a bad shooting night from the best 3 point shooters on the team.

It happens at times even with as talented as shooters from three that we have. Sometimes it seems like there is a lid on the basket. We will come back strong.

Was the game plan NOT to go inside like we always do? Or was KY's inside defense so good?

TN shot 7-25 of 3's.

Honestly, I think if we attacked the inside and was able to draw more fouls, we would have won this game.

Because every time they tried to get the ball inside the were either fouled on the floor (and it was ignored) or on the way up for a shot which was also ignored. The Admiral was the only guy that was successful going right at them. Williams and Alexander struggled in the paint all night are were largely ineffective except for a couple of put backs. Bowden and Turner were missing in action. Bone played decent but not great. It was a very subpar shooting night for UT because they didn’t always make the extra pass to score. They will have to adjust to the physical play if they want to win the SEC or advance in the NCAAT.

TN shot 7-25 of 3's.

I think the superior talent finally caught up with us last night. They were bigger, stronger , and had more raw talent than our players. Their defense was the best we have seen all year. They were playing in front of 23,00 screaming home fans, they were jacked up from their loss to LSU , and our offense and defense was not very good last night. As "they" say, it was the perfect storm. UK is not as good and UT is not as bad as they played last night. We will have the opportunity to correct the outcome in two weeks. Look for a better game against LSU when we go down there, but that game will also be very difficult.

There was concern when we struggle against teams like Bama, Florida, Vandy, and Missouri when we did not put them away and let them get back in those games until the last 6 minutes of those games. The lack of superior height and strength inside can be a problem in the NCAA's if we can not open up the middle with our normal shooting from the outside. Last night's game can serve as a motivational event which can lead to better play the rest of the season. I expect to see a different team the rest of the season and look forward to starting another winning streak.

This was my same takeaway while watching the game. If our guys make 35% of the unguarded outside shots then it’s a completely different game. KY packed the paint doubling GW down low. GW passes out to the open shooter and “clank”. If we shoot the jumpers at our normal pace then KY has to extend the D creating space for GW to operate down low. We chose to not double Washington in the post and he had a field day. We’ll get’em at home!

Officiating didn’t allow us to be physical considering that’s a big part of our game.

It threw off our offensive & defensive rhythm. Our guys panicked, plain & simple.

Reactions: JoAllan
I would imagine Grant was soaking in the tub after the game...young man took some punishment...round 2 in our house...

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!

I said going in we needed Turner, Bowden, Schofield to hit three + each from the three point line, that didn't happen. The offense was bad all night, passing, rebound, shooting. I hope no one really thought we would run the table. There will probably be another loss, to win the conference beating LSU is a must. That too will be a very tough game. No matter how things turn out this season has been a blast and one for the ages.

A lot to over come when the 3 striped guys are wearing blue underwear and have an agenda that doesn't bode well for orange.

TN shot 7-25 of 3's.

Couldn’t do what we wanted to offensively. UK had the length, athleticism, and tonight the hustle, to prevent us from getting touches on the block and at the elbow where we want them. (And yes they got away with a few uncalled fouls in the process.) That took us out of our game and forced us to take more jumpers and unfortunately we were ice cold shooting, (1/17 3 point shooting (!) from Bowden, Turner and Schofield) which just allowed them to pack it in even more.

Our players were getting mauled on the inside and the fouls weren't getting called. It is what it is.

And when you see your teammates knocked down time after time without a call, you get tentative.

I hope we are not mentally run down and tired going into vandy game. I don’t think Vandy is going to lose all 18 sec games. We have to stay focused on the next game and wake up.

Reactions: Zues1

TN shot 7-25 of 3's.

Got out manned inside. Williams got dogged and Alexander was scared.

VN Store

Back