Rick Barnes' Monday press conference (video)

Barnes the six-man rotation used at Kentucky: "That's my fault. And I'm going to fix that. We need Yves (Pons). We need John Fulkerson. We need Derrick Walker ... we need them probably more in the first half."

"Kyle Alexander hasn't been a factor in three weeks."

Rick Barnes is a MAN. Listened to all the press conference. He has perspective nailed, whether it be game strategy or LIFE itself. So grateful he is coaching at the University of Tennessee!
Could not agree more about CRB. IMO he sees the whole picture. Sometimes a loss is a good thing and gets a team to focus back on the things needed to compete on the highest level. Several folks have been pointing to things that UT was not doing right in wins. We could go all the way back to the first game at Vandy our first game at No. 1. We were down 6 late and had to pull it out in OT. Then the Bama game at home where it took a traveling call on Bama to help seal a 3 point win. We'll see starting with the return Vandy game and then the road test at LSU if the Vols learned and fixed the things they have been doing wrong. Go Vols!!!

I was really hoping that Alexander would develop into a force in the middle but he has been very average at best for much of the year. He just does not or cannot impose his will down low.

Reactions: amorange and gunner
Man, we're blessed to have him. Vol bball in good hands for as long as he stays on Rocky Top.

Glad we have a coach that's a real person. Honest. He calls it like it is and puts blame where it's due, but he also shoulders blame. That is refreshing. Just to hear a real person talk. I'm really hoping this TEAM responds well to the poor showing at Kentucky and responds well to him. They should feel fortunate to play for the type of coach they have. Just a real human who actually cares about them as people first. He's truly trying to prepare them for their future while trying to get the best of each of them on the hardwood.

We as fans need to remember this during down times in the future. Our bball program is in great hands under Barnes. He will win a ton of games here. So, during down seasons we need to trust better ones are to come. This man's winning percentage and career wins speak for themselves....

I was really hoping that Alexander would develop into a force in the middle but he has been very average at best for much of the year. He just does not or cannot impose his will down low.
The sad part is his role with this group is actually simple. Defend, rebound, and grab some trash points.

VN Store

Back