Which SEC teams have a better assistant coaching staff than Tennessee?

Interesting question. Players make the coaches look better. Thing about Bama is I think the yearly plucking of Saban assistants is really what got them beat vs Clemson. You've got a guy like Venerables, who, with Dabo is a fixture @ Clemson, and Bama is in the fight of their lives, and just think eventually a Saban assistant isn't going to be up to the task like Kiffin or Pruitt or Smart. Cohesiveness matters, and think this is where the field can catch up vs Bama and UGA, who have been gutted the last couple years in their coordinators and position coaches. Long way to get to my answer, but I think UT is as good as any. Even Bama and UGA folks can see this staff is legit. Saban will be fine, i think...but let one of those new coordinators get going sideways as UGA, and it's going to be fun to watch...no way they're as cohesive in 2019, but maybe they learned what not to do on 4th and 11...

Hmmm.. how can you quantify this with so many factors from cohesion to experience etc.... my guess is maybe we’re 1st or 2nd

I don't keep track of other teams staff UNLESS they are a familiar name

Dooley, Chaney, Pittman, Mel Tucker etc

Dooley, Mel Tucker, Pittman, Chaney, Sunseri, Charles Kelly, Kevin Steele, Todd Grantham, Larry Scott, Chavis, Steve Caldwell, Eddie Gran, Damien Craig, Jay Graham Terrell Buckley & Bob Shook are the familiar names that I know.
Can't speak for other assistant coaches

Reactions: feathersax

LSU, Bama, UGA, UF. This staff is much better than last year (a first time HC plus 2 coordinators without P5 coordinating experience was a recipe for disaster) but I'm not sure we improved enough to go from a staff that oversaw the Mizzou and Vandy games to being better than the staffs of 4 Top 10 teams...

Reactions: RollerVol
Florida may have the best playcallers. A&M seems to have really strong recruiters. Mizzou may be the best developers.

We haven't proved anything yet, but we have upgraded big time and seem to have a top-notch staff. Not quite sold on DL yet though. Need better recruiting there and do something to produce more sacks and pressure...whatever Mizzou does with a bunch of 3 stars.

Interesting question. Players make the coaches look better. Thing about Bama is I think the yearly plucking of Saban assistants is really what got them beat vs Clemson. You've got a guy like Venerables, who, with Dabo is a fixture @ Clemson, and Bama is in the fight of their lives, and just think eventually a Saban assistant isn't going to be up to the task like Kiffin or Pruitt or Smart. Cohesiveness matters, and think this is where the field can catch up vs Bama and UGA, who have been gutted the last couple years in their coordinators and position coaches. Long way to get to my answer, but I think UT is as good as any. Even Bama and UGA folks can see this staff is legit. Saban will be fine, i think...but let one of those new coordinators get going sideways as UGA, and it's going to be fun to watch...no way they're as cohesive in 2019, but maybe they learned what not to do on 4th and 11...

Won't that same scenario happen to us, once we have real success????

Florida may have the best playcallers. A&M seems to have really strong recruiters. Mizzou may be the best developers.

We haven't proved anything yet, but we have upgraded big time and seem to have a top-notch staff. Not quite sold on DL yet though. Need better recruiting there and do something to produce more sacks and pressure...whatever Mizzou does with a bunch of 3 stars.

Our best staff in Tennessee history was Butches staff.
If you don't believe me, just ask Butch. He will tell you

Won't that same scenario happen to us, once we have real success????

Bama is extremely unique. The "Saban tag" has far more value than any other. Let's be real, people use him to boost their career.

That said, hopefully JP is taking notice of Dabo and builds an atmosphere that will keep assistants around for a long time.

Georgia, Georgia, I got Georgia on my mind. And I absolutely hate that. Should have gone after Pittman harder.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back