Will this be Holly Warlick's last game as Lady Vols coach?

Holly was the most logical choice to replace Pat. I don't think there was anyone...including people on this site...that did not think it was a great idea. It didn't work out the way everyone thought.....but she is still being measured by Pat's success. I am not sure it's fair to do that but that is a choice she made. You can't be the legend you replace (18 Final Fours and 8 national titles...geez) .....and you can't be better than Pat. Holly was doomed from day one.

Holly was the most logical choice to replace Pat. I don't think there was anyone...including people on this site...that did not think it was a great idea. It didn't work out the way everyone thought.....but she is still being measured by Pat's success. I am not sure it's fair to do that but that is a choice she made. You can't be the legend you replace (18 Final Fours and 8 national titles...geez) .....and you can't be better than Pat. Holly was doomed from day one.

I agree that she was the logical replacement for Pat, but I disagree that she was doomed from day one. She had all the resources needed to succeed, including some of the best recruiting classes in the nation. She was also given ample time to get things rolling. Instead, the program has steadily declined with no signs of improvement. There are plenty of coaches that could have done better. All the respect in the world for Holly's contribution to UT over the years as a player and a coach, but it's time for a change.

Very best thing she could do is to motivate her team as much a possible. Pick up a couple of upsets and then bow out gracefully on a "high" note. Even if the next person is worse, I just gotta see some change. Too much of the same result season after season with Holly and it is getting worse instead of better.

I agree that she was the logical replacement for Pat, but I disagree that she was doomed from day one. She had all the resources needed to succeed, including some of the best recruiting classes in the nation. She was also given ample time to get things rolling. Instead, the program has steadily declined with no signs of improvement. There are plenty of coaches that could have done better. All the respect in the world for Holly's contribution to UT over the years as a player and a coach, but it's time for a change.
You hit the nail right on the head, Big Orange Rob. Absolutely accurate comments.

NO ONE is measuring her against Pat. NO ONE

Her record is not good enough to be the coach of the Lady Vols...........PERIOD!!

LADY VOL HOOPS REPORT (3/21/19) - University of Tennessee Athletics

Q To: Wesbrook
On if there is a game with a lot turnovers if she takes that blame:
"I really take responsibility for my own turnovers. But most importantly, if the team is having a lot of turnovers, that just says a lot about our offense which, obviously, I am running that. But I think taking into consideration just to be aware of our offense and defense the whole time."

On if impatience leads to more turnovers:
"I think most definitely. We are just trying to get the homerun pass a lot. I think just playing at our speed and just playing calm."

Last edited:
I hope the gals go far but when it's over that I also hope Holly hangs it up.

"It's hard" CHW,,,But it's something I hope you think about
It will take a selfless act
Otherwise, you make someone else have to make a selfless act, in your behalf

It was indeed the right thing to do...it wasn't the right thing to continue

Year 5 she had her own players
year 6 replaced an assistant
year 7 replaced another assistant
does the university need a year 8 to prove a point?

and No, you can't be the legend you replace

You have to be intent on being even better

right, quite the opposite
a roster stocked with CPS hand-picked players,,,
a galaxy of 3-4-5 star players wanting to play for your school,,,

"There are plenty of coaches that could have done better"

This was my CHW turning point. When I began to see things I would have corrected not getting corrected (stagnating offensive movement,,inexcusable mental-turnovers with no reaction from the bench,,no in-game tactics, only end of game emergencies,,,no timeouts to stop runs,,and on

Establishing a strong defensive position from which to defend and attack your opponent is a combat maneuver but defenses can become too passive and begin to not fight back

I knew then
that I was one of the coaches who could have done better

Reactions: Remy

Wrong. There were plenty of us who knew that it was a bad choice to hire Holly. Who do you think was running this team the last couple of years that Pat was here? Some of us foresaw EXACTLY what is happening now but every time we said anything it was shot down as not being a true fan or some of that other b.s. Holly Warlick can't coach, can't teach but sure as hell can place the blame on her players. It will be a glorious day when she's fired or quits, either just way is fine as long as she's gone.

Tennessee fans deserve Holly after years of defending her shortcomings and attacking anyone who didn't agree with the same old this is what Pat wanted bs.

A little over the top comment, but I think everyone can see what side of crazy you are coming from. She is being treated exactly the way any HC would in this circumstance, its time for a change for a lot of reasons and #1 is the W vs. L, she lost the locker room, she will most likely go to another school and do really well without the shadow of Pat.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
A little over the top comment, but I think everyone can see what side of crazy you are coming from. She is being treated exactly the way any HC would in this circumstance, its time for a change for a lot of reasons and #1 is the W vs. L, she lost the locker room, she will most likely go to another school and do really well without the shadow of Pat.
Holly would do really well at another school? I don't think anyone would want her anywhere near them. If she can't hit a home run with the best HS players in the country, what is she expected to accomplish when she can't leverage the Tennessee brand for recruiting? I doubt those kids would have fallen for Holly's pitch without the Tennessee logo on her business card.

I just don't think she's coaching material...at all. May she can go back to being an assistant coach, but that's her ceiling on the sideline.

I don't believe she would be ultra successful at any classification level in high school ball.

VN Store

Back