The "Squeeze Out A Victory" Postgame Report

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
1. A team is what it is in March. We know Tennessee gives up three-pointers and will continue to do so. Yes, Jordan Burns got hot and hit some difficult shots. But the rest of the team was 7-16. That's still not good. Tennessee still doesn't rotate properly and they close out bad. Tennessee is going to have to pray opponents go cold against them.

2. 26 three's is a little too much but 34.6% isn't bad. That probably should have been 20 today. But Colgate was adamant about shutting down the paint and double-teaming Grant anytime he got the ball in the post. I thought the ball movement was solid and I don't remember too many bad shots.

3. What helps is when Jordan Bowden and Lamonte Turner play as well as they did and are as aggressively smart as they were. They weren't great from 3 but they moved the ball well (9 total assists) and Turner played good defense. They are hugely important to win games in the tournament.

4. Tennessee needs to go back to the high post when they face zone again. There was too much throwing the ball around the perimeter. Colgate sagged off but Grant in the high post is too dangerous a weapon to not use.

5. Tennessee only gave up 8 offensive rebounds and only had 8 turnovers. That's solid for tournament time and I will take that.

6. I know he makes one boneheaded turnover a game but I really felt John Fulkerson has come on the last three weeks. He was active, made a couple of tough shots. Was good defensively today. He actually outplayed Alexander today.

7. Player of the Game: Admiral Schofield. If he had not hit those 2 three's at the end, this award wouldn't go to him. But in tournament time it's all about hitting shots to advance and he did. He played better in the second half and might have found his rhythm. He also contributed with 4 rebounds and hit all 4 of his free throws.

8. Iowa is a really good offensively team and today they hit a lot of 3's (11-22 today against Cincy). Luke Garza is a problem in the middle and Kyle cannot afford to get in foul trouble. They move the ball really well, not know for their dribble penetration. Isaiah Moss, Jordan Bohannon and Joe Weiskamp can all shoot the lights out. Tennessee can score on them. They don't rotate well defensively and don't protect the paint that well. They are 306th in 2 point FG%, Tennessee is fantastic inside the arc.

9. However, two key things: Iowa is excellent at getting to the free throw line, they get 22.6 of their points from the free throw line, 18th in the country. Tyler Cook was in foul trouble against Cincinnati (who might be their best player) and they still won by 7. This team is dangerous.

10. Survive and advance. I still can't believe we struggle this much to defend the arc, but it is what it is at this point. Tennessee did what they had to do against Colgate and won. Iowa is tough. They've won big games before and Fran McCaffrey isn't going to be afraid of Tennessee. He will mix things up if he has too. Tennessee has to get Grant going early and attack the rim. They have to make sure they rebound the ball like they today and they must protect the ball. We will see what happens. A loss Sunday and the fanbase will be understandably frustarted.

We can beat anybody if PB&J and KA were to all have there better games right now. Bone, Turner, and Bowden won't carry this team to next weekend or the one after that if the starting bigs don't have better performances.

I didn't get to watch it, but I am counting down to Sunday. I am pulling for the Vols to win another battle of the wills. It seems like everyone UT plays gives them an all out war. That said, I know that as long as the Vols are rested up they can beat any team. They have already proven it this season.

I'm starting to wonder if a zone wouldn't work better instead of getting lost after picks or switching into all of the bad matchups.

^^ this. The zone has been pretty effective in the limited time Barnes has run it. I know it's not his preferred style of defense but we're facing another team that shoots the 3 well and is certainly more talented overall than Colgate on Sunday; might be time to consider a longer look for the zone?

What coach on the bench still believes that Pons gives us something attempting to guard out top? His man is passed him before he moves again and again. Was hoping that his hair was the issue but it’s his feet

Reactions: lynnh
" Tennessee has to get Grant going early and attack the rim."

Yes.... Vols have to attack the rim but they have to do a much better job of finishing at the rim.

Reactions: feathersax
Turner, Bone, Admiral, Williams, Bowden, and the 4 sophomore subs seem to get the most attention from posters, but Kyle Alexander seems to have disappeared over the last month or two. He's often the tallest player on the floor but seems to only contribute a block or two and a couple of points. He has been a good rebounder now and then but with all the talk earlier about a bright NBA future he seems to have regressed. At least he hasn't been getting so many non-fouls called on him as often. Still... sure wish he could close out his career with a strong finish. As much attention as AS and GW get, you'd think he could be a force on offense.

To his credit, his late block today was about as important as Admiral's 3s and Turner's defense in the final minutes.

Speaking if the 4 sophomores, did Walker play at all? We might could use his physical presence versus them corn fed fellers from Iowa.

Reactions: Big time vol
Our inability to handle screens leads to most of our 3-point defensive problems. Williams was especially bad at that today. That guard abused him the entire second half.
Vols have had ball screen rotation problems all season , when they switch there is always an open shooter, or mismatch in paint...…………………...GO VOLS

What coach on the bench still believes that Pons gives us something attempting to guard out top? His man is passed him before he moves again and again. Was hoping that his hair was the issue but it’s his feet

I agree Pons is great athlete, but he has regressed since his first start, I think his stats were 10 pts 6 or 8 rebounds and played great D so what has happened
to this player...…………...GO VOLS

Vols have had ball screen rotation problems all season , when they switch there is always an open shooter, or mismatch in paint...…………………...GO VOLS

Unfortunately, you are right. We are who we are at this point.

Turner, Bone, Admiral, Williams, Bowden, and the 4 sophomore subs seem to get the most attention from posters, but Kyle Alexander seems to have disappeared over the last month or two. He's often the tallest player on the floor but seems to only contribute a block or two and a couple of points. He has been a good rebounder now and then but with all the talk earlier about a bright NBA future he seems to have regressed. At least he hasn't been getting so many non-fouls called on him as often. Still... sure wish he could close out his career with a strong finish. As much attention as AS and GW get, you'd think he could be a force on offense.

To his credit, his late block today was about as important as Admiral's 3s and Turner's defense in the final minutes.

Speaking if the 4 sophomores, did Walker play at all? We might could use his physical presence versus them corn fed fellers from Iowa.
Besides Bowden and Fulky our bench is pretty worthless. Alexander and NBA shouldn't be used in the same sentence because that ain't happening.

Reactions: whodatvol and lynnh
Its about matchups, smaller quicker teams drive us crazy. Taller stronger guys we do well against!

I think we do very well with Iowa. Good matchup for us to get to sweet 16!

^^ this. The zone has been pretty effective in the limited time Barnes has run it. I know it's not his preferred style of defense but we're facing another team that shoots the 3 well and is certainly more talented overall than Colgate on Sunday; might be time to consider a longer look for the zone?

I have been saying for some time now that we should play more zone. Man to man we are giving up way too many open 3's so try zone and shut off inside game, and I think we still cover the 3's as well if not better than we do now

Of the 8 top seeds all won but 5 of the 8 had different level of scares. Unc, Duke, tenn, mich state, and Virginia all had times it was reasonable to think they might lose.

Just my 2-cents.....
Why do we adapt to the other teams playing style seemingly every game? They will face an early exit if they continue that trend
This^^. Instead, we need to enforce our will and our play style. Physical, in the paint. Ball movement. Get to the free throw line. Wear em' down, and pull away, late. I want to see at least two Hawkeyes with 4 fouls, late in the game.

The game plan is pretty straightforward against Tennessee. Load the paint, double team grant and force us to shoot 3s. If the other team can make 3s then it makes it a game.

I agree, and here's the thing. It can't realistically get worse.

Good grief. 30-5 and it couldn't get worse.....

I think the zone is good when used in sports but what Posters seem to me ignoring is rebounding. We did a good job with that yesterday and may have lost without keeping them off the offensively glass which a zone allows for.

VN Store

Back