Let’s Be Realistic

Tommy Pine

This team doesn’t blow anybody out. They don’t beat teams by 15 or more unless their opponent plays poorly. The stage for this is past. We should know by now that the Vols have a tendency to play down to their opponent. That’s ok, as long as they scrap out a win.

Iowa will be real test. Like UT, they are a scrappy team. Many were down on IU because they played poorly their last five games, which is dangerous. They are not sensational, but the Big12 is a very tough conference.

Unless we pay extremely well, we should prepare for a close win. We should fully expect that that the Vols will play hard, and even expecting we won’t shoot well, we should demand at least a narrow win based on effort. Anything else will be a disappointment for the season.

This team doesn’t blow anybody out. They don’t beat teams by 15 or more unless their opponent plays poorly. The stage for this is past. We should know by now that the Vols have a tendency to play down to their opponent. That’s ok, as long as they scrap out a win.

Iowa will be real test. Like UT, they are a scrappy team. Many were down on IU because they played poorly their last five games, which is dangerous. They are not sensational, but the Big12 is a very tough conference.

Unless we pay extremely well, we should prepare for a close win. We should fully expect that that the Vols will play hard, and even expecting we won’t shoot well, we should demand at least a narrow win based on effort. Anything else will be a disappointment for the season.
Iowa is in the Big Ten, not Big 12.

Our season is filled with teams we've beaten by 15+ points. Is that an indication of a weak opponent or were we just playing much better basketball earlier in the year? This team has a strength. It's defense is where the focus needs to be. When we get blue collar, down and dirty on defense, we can go a long way. This bunch needs to go blue collar again.

I'm sorry - Vol Kool-aid drinker here. I'm so proud of this team. I absolutely love the concept of mature 3 star players playing old school ball together. Let's take it one game at a time. Tn does not often blow teams out like the 2nd Ky game. They do put you on the edge of your seat, though. I absolutely love Admiral's grin after he sinks a 3. We've got one of the best records in vol history. We've won the most in a row. The 2nd half of the season was a gauntlet. Let's all cool down and wait for an Iowa victory!

I'm sorry - Vol Kool-aid drinker here. I'm so proud of this team. I absolutely love the concept of mature 3 star players playing old school ball together. Let's take it one game at a time. Tn does not often blow teams out like the 2nd Ky game. They do put you on the edge of your seat, though. I absolutely love Admiral's grin after he sinks a 3. We've got one of the best records in vol history. We've won the most in a row. The 2nd half of the season was a gauntlet. Let's all cool down and wait for an Iowa victory!
Word! And if we win Sunday that does indeed tie the school record for wins in a season

No, just being a realist. I love this team and am glad we are playing Iowa. Let’s go!

I have to wonder if we're the last program Iowa wants to see in this tournament. Really, UT has had great success against the hawkeyes....in football at least. Maybe some element of doubt will be there when they look up and see orange Sunday? Kinda like when we see that gator color scheme or the ba$tards in crimson.

Reactions: RollerVol

I seen us expect close games against Florida in the past & we won in a down pour. I have seen us expect a loss against Ky & we won big
If the seniors want to go deep in tourney, then we likely will, barring any major injuries

Expectation: Tennessee will not cover the spread. Win/loss, no clue. The under number was a winner against Colgate without their best player.

Our season is filled with teams we've beaten by 15+ points. Is that an indication of a weak opponent or were we just playing much better basketball earlier in the year? This team has a strength. It's defense is where the focus needs to be. When we get blue collar, down and dirty on defense, we can go a long way. This bunch needs to go blue collar again.

I have seen us play some games playing excellent defense, however, I have also seen far too many games where I thought we played very poor defense

We had the most double digit wins in conference play.

LSU had 6

UK had 8

We had 11

You know...while we are being realistic and all

Exactly, not to mention we just beat the brakes off of Mis ST.......just a few games ago....... but heck Tennessee never does that........ and some folks simply just can’t enjoy a tourney win.

“If” Tennessee beats Iowa by 10 or 1 there will be people complaining.

1 pt or 100 but WTF does it matter? 6 wins is all that matters!

:rolleyes:

I have seen us play some games playing excellent defense, however, I have also seen far too many games where I thought we played very poor defense
I saw Vols play great "D" early in season , I haven't saw that last 2 months I know back end schedule was tough but defense has taken a step back
too late for adjustment this season like to see different mindset on the high ball screen...…………………..GO VOLS

I have to wonder if we're the last program Iowa wants to see in this tournament. Really, UT has had great success against the hawkeyes....in football at least. Maybe some element of doubt will be there when they look up and see orange Sunday? Kinda like when we see that gator color scheme or the ba$tards in crimson.
Vols beat Iowa last sweet sixteen when Zo was coach

VN Store

Back