Breaking Down Purdue

Blobbebeastn

Hey Vols fans! Genuine Purdue basketball fan here! Just would like to provide you all with some in depth analysis on the Boilers, love true honest discussion! I promise you I bring no hostility, Tennessee has had an outstanding season! 30+ wins is elite.

Purdue will play man to man, in your face defense. They are great on switches defensively and are great with help side. While they do have a 7’3 center, he moves like a 6’10 forward, he will defend 1v1 and get out to the perimeter.

Purdue offense will work through a heavy motion offense with a lot of dribble hand offs and screens. The 2 scoring guards (Edwards and Cline) never stop working, they get so many good looks on threes due to the fact that they will get a screen and be sprinting from one corner under he hoop to the opposite elbow. They are fantastic at catching and shooting. Once they have established hat you must protect the perimeter they will start slipping in haarms off of a DHO or screen, it’s simple yet effective due to the attention the shooters get.

Starters

PG - Sophomore- Nojel Eastern #20 - while Edwards is a scoring guard, Eastern handles he point. He’s a very secure ball handler and can absolutely move. He’s also a load at 6’6 220. He was an All B1G defensive team selection and will be put on whoever the most dangerous option is. His size and unbelievable quickness allows him to completely smother opposing guards. He is not a shooting threat but has the ability to back down guards in the post and dribble penetrate. Also an incredible rebounder.

SG - Junior - Carsen Edwards #3 - 6’1 Carsen is the scorer, and volume shooter. When he is dialed in...not a team in the country can stop him. But when he’s not...yea. While he did have a cold streak, not all of it was from forcing bad shots, he was getting good open looks, just not hitting. I would say that the ODU game first round was a typical, every day Edwards performance. Defensively he is good, but not mind blowing. Can stay with any guard but struggles to defend bigger guards.

SG- Senior - Ryan Cline #14 - 6’4 Cline is a 3 point shooter. Plain and simple. He has the ability to drive if the defender is a step behind, but it is a very white boy drive. He’s actually average mid range and average at the FT line. Also average defensively. His ability to hit tough 3s is what makes him as a player. He can catch off a sprint, fading away from the basket and hit almost 50% of the time.

PF - Senior - Grady Eifert #24 - 6’7. Eifert is the glue to the team. Came to Purdue as a walk on and starting as a senior. He’s them guy that will be on the floor for every ball, he rips away boards, causes jump balls and plays solid defense. He has the ability to hit from 3, but it has to be an open look. He won’t blow you away but he will get a quiet 9pts, 8 reb, 5 assists a game.

C - Sophomore - Matt Haarms - 7’3. Haarms is coming into his own. He is a solid rim protector, leading the B1G in blocks. At first he couldn’t rebound, which blew my mind, but now he has developed that skill. Like most bigs,he won’t beat you off the dribble. He can hit 3s if given the space. Like I said earlier he is great at reading help defenders and slipping in the lane for easy buckets. Purdue uses him a lot on dribble hand offs and even to pull opposing bigs out of the lane. For a 7’3 guy he moves VERY well. He isn’t your usual lumbering 7 footer, he is quick up and down the floor, and even has the ability to stay in front of much smaller attacking players.

Bench

SG - Freshman - Eric Hunter - #2. Hunter is Easterns defensive understudy. While only a freshman he is very very quick and rarely gets beat on dribble drive penetration. He hasn’t shown a lot of offense this year, but is 7th all time in scoring for Indiana HS.

PF - Freshman - Aaron Wheeler - #1. Wheeler is also a freshman. My best comparison for him is a dime store Kevin Durant. 6’10, long, athletic, can shoot 3s or drive to the hoop. In 2 years he is going to be special. Right now, he is a solid piece to bring in off the bench if we need to use his length or want to push the perimeter.

C - Freshman - Trevion Williams - #50 - 6’9 280 lb freshman. He is Caleb Swanigan 2.0, just less developed. Has the ability to dominate the post, quick hands and an exceptional passer. He struggles with fouls. He took over the starting job from Haarms for about 6 games mid season, and was actually more productive per 40 min than swanigan was during his AA year. He makes freshman mistakes but is a load down low, the perfect person to give Haarms a breather.

SG - Freshman - Sasha Stefanovic- Sasha can do a bit of everything. He is deadly from 3 and isn’t afraid to knock down big shots, at 6’4 he has the ability to defend any guard. He’s your typical Purdue player, think Dakota Mathias from last years team. Works hard, knows his role, and can contribute when given the chance.

I’m excited for this game, should be 2 well coached teams that play hard and have a lot to play for.

I hope this helps give you some insight for your own discussions! Good luck Thursday!!!

Somebody tell Bone he is allowed to drive and shoot when open. He has to utilize his ability more, he has to become more assertive on offense. From taking more shots to making better passes to just going to the basket and laying it in. I saw Bone turn down layups twice in the last game to throw out to a 3 point shooter, just take the layup J-Bone, you can beat anyone off the dribble take your shot. GBO!

I see where you guys only lost close games to ranked teams like VaTech, FSU, & Michigan. You split with Maryland and lost to unexplainably to ND & Minnesota. However, you did win most of your games pretty convincingly and recently dominated last year's champion in this year's tourney. That center of yours concerns me. Guys, we're going to have to play 2 halves to beat this team.

Definitely pose some matchup problems. At this point though, I think it’s about the will and heart of players. Which team will attack and play loose? Thanks for the breakdown OP. I’ve read you guys were better last year than this year (not trying to take shots, just wondering why people say that).

Reactions: Vols All Day
Can Eifert or Eastern guard the post? Im guessing one of them will be on Grant and the other on Schofield. It will be interesting to see if Purdues 4 guard lineup outduels UTs post presence. Will Alexander see extended minutes or will we go with our smaller lineup with Bowden.

Hey Vols fans! Genuine Purdue basketball fan here! Just would like to provide you all with some in depth analysis on the Boilers, love true honest discussion! I promise you I bring no hostility, Tennessee has had an outstanding season! 30+ wins is elite.

Purdue will play man to man, in your face defense. They are great on switches defensively and are great with help side. While they do have a 7’3 center, he moves like a 6’10 forward, he will defend 1v1 and get out to the perimeter.

Purdue offense will work through a heavy motion offense with a lot of dribble hand offs and screens. The 2 scoring guards (Edwards and Cline) never stop working, they get so many good looks on threes due to the fact that they will get a screen and be sprinting from one corner under he hoop to the opposite elbow. They are fantastic at catching and shooting. Once they have established hat you must protect the perimeter they will start slipping in haarms off of a DHO or screen, it’s simple yet effective due to the attention the shooters get.

Starters

PG - Sophomore- Nojel Eastern #20 - while Edwards is a scoring guard, Eastern handles he point. He’s a very secure ball handler and can absolutely move. He’s also a load at 6’6 220. He was an All B1G defensive team selection and will be put on whoever the most dangerous option is. His size and unbelievable quickness allows him to completely smother opposing guards. He is not a shooting threat but has the ability to back down guards in the post and dribble penetrate. Also an incredible rebounder.

SG - Junior - Carsen Edwards #3 - 6’1 Carsen is the scorer, and volume shooter. When he is dialed in...not a team in the country can stop him. But when he’s not...yea. While he did have a cold streak, not all of it was from forcing bad shots, he was getting good open looks, just not hitting. I would say that the ODU game first round was a typical, every day Edwards performance. Defensively he is good, but not mind blowing. Can stay with any guard but struggles to defend bigger guards.

SG- Senior - Ryan Cline #14 - 6’4 Cline is a 3 point shooter. Plain and simple. He has the ability to drive if the defender is a step behind, but it is a very white boy drive. He’s actually average mid range and average at the FT line. Also average defensively. His ability to hit tough 3s is what makes him as a player. He can catch off a sprint, fading away from the basket and hit almost 50% of the time.

PF - Senior - Grady Eifert #24 - 6’7. Eifert is the glue to the team. Came to Purdue as a walk on and starting as a senior. He’s them guy that will be on the floor for every ball, he rips away boards, causes jump balls and plays solid defense. He has the ability to hit from 3, but it has to be an open look. He won’t blow you away but he will get a quiet 9pts, 8 reb, 5 assists a game.

C - Sophomore - Matt Haarms - 7’3. Haarms is coming into his own. He is a solid rim protector, leading the B1G in blocks. At first he couldn’t rebound, which blew my mind, but now he has developed that skill. Like most bigs,he won’t beat you off the dribble. He can hit 3s if given the space. Like I said earlier he is great at reading help defenders and slipping in the lane for easy buckets. Purdue uses him a lot on dribble hand offs and even to pull opposing bigs out of the lane. For a 7’3 guy he moves VERY well. He isn’t your usual lumbering 7 footer, he is quick up and down the floor, and even has the ability to stay in front of much smaller attacking players.

Bench

SG - Freshman - Eric Hunter - #2. Hunter is Easterns defensive understudy. While only a freshman he is very very quick and rarely gets beat on dribble drive penetration. He hasn’t shown a lot of offense this year, but is 7th all time in scoring for Indiana HS.

PF - Freshman - Aaron Wheeler - #1. Wheeler is also a freshman. My best comparison for him is a dime store Kevin Durant. 6’10, long, athletic, can shoot 3s or drive to the hoop. In 2 years he is going to be special. Right now, he is a solid piece to bring in off the bench if we need to use his length or want to push the perimeter.

C - Freshman - Trevion Williams - #50 - 6’9 280 lb freshman. He is Caleb Swanigan 2.0, just less developed. Has the ability to dominate the post, quick hands and an exceptional passer. He struggles with fouls. He took over the starting job from Haarms for about 6 games mid season, and was actually more productive per 40 min than swanigan was during his AA year. He makes freshman mistakes but is a load down low, the perfect person to give Haarms a breather.

SG - Freshman - Sasha Stefanovic- Sasha can do a bit of everything. He is deadly from 3 and isn’t afraid to knock down big shots, at 6’4 he has the ability to defend any guard. He’s your typical Purdue player, think Dakota Mathias from last years team. Works hard, knows his role, and can contribute when given the chance.

I’m excited for this game, should be 2 well coached teams that play hard and have a lot to play for.

I hope this helps give you some insight for your own discussions! Good luck Thursday!!!
Do you think Purdue could have beaten the United States Dream Team in Barcelona?

TIA.

I see where you guys only lost close games to ranked teams like VaTech, FSU, & Michigan. You split with Maryland and lost to unexplainably to ND & Minnesota. However, you did win most of your games pretty convincingly and recently dominated last year's champion in this year's tourney. That center of yours concerns me. Guys, we're going to have to play 2 halves to beat this team.
We did lose some close games early. We lost 4 starting seniors that contributed over 5500 combined career points. There were a lot of question marks to enter the season and we didn’t really figure it out until about game 12-14. @FSU we had the game won, but our Senior Cline couldn’t prevent FSU from tying him up, possession to FSU, with Purdue 1 up 20+ seconds left. Texas, Edwards backpacked us, no help production at all.

Can Eifert or Eastern guard the post? Im guessing one of them will be on Grant and the other on Schofield. It will be interesting to see if Purdues 4 guard lineup outduels UTs post presence. Will Alexander see extended minutes or will we go with our smaller lineup with Bowden.
Eifert will guard the post, he’s a good fundamental defender. He will lose some battles, but won’t get blasted

If Purdue plays like they did against Nova, gonna be tough for UT to win. That being said, Nova lives and dies by the 3, and couldn't find their shot...and didn't have the ability to "get physical" in the paint, and we've got that in spades. We don't live and die by the 3, unless it's by our lack of ability to guard the 3 point line. If both teams are "on", it should be an epic game. I personally think we match up decently against Purdue...better than we did vs Auburn, and could surprise the ESPN folks who re-seeded us at #14

Definitely pose some matchup problems. At this point though, I think it’s about the will and heart of players. Which team will attack and play loose? Thanks for the breakdown OP. I’ve read you guys were better last year than this year (not trying to take shots, just wondering why people say that).
I would say just the production that was lost. Last year we started 4 seniors (combined for 5500 career points) and Carsen Edwards. It’s hard to look at any team that comes next and not think that last years team was better all around.

Reactions: Johnnyreb#VFL

Starters

Bench

When you played Iowa, was Haarms on Cook?

Do you typically double the post on an elite big man like Grant Williams? Or do you just let Haarms or Eifert play him straight up?

This should be a very close, intense game. Not sure my heart can take much more!

When you played Iowa, was Haarms on Cook?

Do you typically double the post on an elite big man like Grant Williams? Or do you just let Haarms or Eifert play him straight up?

This should be a very close, intense game. Not sure my heart can take much more!
Haarms was the primary defender on cook. When Wheeler checked in, he took that role.

Typically we defend straight up in the post. Purdue has a reputation for developing very good bigs, so we usually hold our own. We will double occasionally but to trap the center, not really bc we can’t defend him.

Reactions: wtmvol
Purdue struggles against teams that play a great in between game (Texas Tech last year). Purdue excels when they can set offensively and defensively, they make life hell on both ends of the floor. To me the key to beating them is to turn the game into a transition heavy offensive game
Losses look pretty similar to UT. 3 L's in sweet 16...TX and 2 Minn L's give me hope, but all that doesn't really matter, except I'd scout up the Minnesota games pretty hard. Records are out the window this time of year.

Starters

Bench

You lost me with Caleb Swearigin.

Losses look pretty similar to UT. 3 L's in sweet 16...TX and 2 Minn L's give me hope, but all that doesn't really matter, except I'd scout up the Minnesota games pretty hard. Records are out the window this time of year.
I’d scout the Minnesota games, but wouldn’t put a ton of stock into them.

In the BTT the foul count was 14 - 3 (1 in second half) in Minnesota’s favor...with 8 minutes to go. To only have lost by 2 was actually pretty promising considering the circumstances.

Somebody tell Bone he is allowed to drive and shoot when open. He has to utilize his ability more, he has to become more assertive on offense. From taking more shots to making better passes to just going to the basket and laying it in. I saw Bone turn down layups twice in the last game to throw out to a 3 point shooter, just take the layup J-Bone, you can beat anyone off the dribble take your shot. GBO!
Yeah, I think he and Fulky both have done that in the recent past.

He may not this time around, but Grant abused that center last year.

Reactions: NM4VOLS

VN Store

Back