Looking ahead in the SEC

StrangeVol

We have 4 remaining SEC series, 2 on the road 2 at home. I took a good look at who we play and projected/guessed how we will do between now and tourney time, not including out of conference games.

First, we travel to Arkansas to face the piggies. This is our toughest series remaining on our schedule and I expect us to win 1 game to avoid the sweep. Arkansas is no joke.

Second, Missouri comes calling at LNS. I think we win the series 2 - 1 and move on. Mizzou is a potential sweep candidate, depending very much on how they handle our pitching.

Next, we go for a swim in the swamp. This series is hard to guesstimate. Florida can play great, but they don't do that very often. Normally I would be concerned about playing them at their place, but they just haven't been that good at home. I think we win the series 2-1 with the very clear possibility of sweeping them if our bats are productive and our pitching likes the warm weather.

Finally, we get Ole Miss at home and I like us to finish on a high note with the sweep over a very inconsistent Rebel team. Honestly, it's hard to really get a good feel for what they might do but while they were strong early, taking 2 of 3 at Arkansas, they've not been so solid lately dropping 2 of 3 to Kensucky at home just last weekend. So I'm calling for the regular season-ending sweep.

So, summing up I think we win 8 of the last 12 SEC contests to bring our regular season SEC record to 17 - 13, which ain't too shabby. In fact, it's a very nice step up from last year's 12 & 18 mark. In fact, you have to go all the way back to 2005 when we were 18 & 11 to find a better SEC record.

While the Vols web site only shows easily accessible records back to 2002, the waning years of Delmonico's 18 season tenure, I suspect that this may be only the second or third ( we did make the CWS in 2001) time this century (assuming my projections hold true) we've been over .500 in the SEC. Think about that. Does the phrase "perennial doormat" ring just a bit true?

Damn, I'm really liking our new coach! :)

Last edited:
Would love to finish 17-13 like the OP suggests. The SEC is too hard to predict week in and week out in my opinion though. Win the series at home and don’t get swept on the road the rest of the way and we’ll be right where we want to be.

Can’t wait to see how it all shakes out.

All 4 of those series are difficult SEC opponents. 6-6 would be a very nice showing to close out the year. 15-15 would be an amazing year this year given how ridiculously stacked the conference is this year. Never seen anything like it.

From a UT perspective, I would be more than trilled to make the NCAA tourney considering UT hasn't made an SEC tourney in how long, If you belong, you belong. Win the games and move on.

Reactions: RollerVol
17-13? Hell, I'd been hoping for a .500 sec record. To actually have a winning mark much less 17 wins in conference...well...unbelievable. Can't start thinking this way. BVS perhaps, but I just can't wrap my head around 17-13.

Reactions: RollerVol
While the team certainly doesn't need to look ahead, we as fans have that luxury now don't we? Looking at our remaining series, this is how I see it going:
@Arkansas 1-2 Really hope we don't get swept. They just manhandled a very good Miss. State team.
Missouri 2-1
@Florida 2-1 I'm going out on a limb on this one. Florida is very young and they have struggled, but it's never easy winning a series in Gainesvile. They may be young, but they're still talented.
Ole Miss 1-2
So that would put us at 15 wins in the SEC. With our rpi that should get us into a regional.

Last edited:
While the team certainly doesn't need to look ahead, we as fans have that luxury now don't we? Looking at our remaining series, this is how I see it going:
@Arkansas 1-2 Really hope we don't get swept. They just manhandled a very good Miss. State team.
Missouri 2-1
@Florida 2-1 I'm going out on a limb on this one. Florida is very young and they have struggled, but it's never easy winning a series in Gainesvile. They may be young, but they're still talented.
Ole Miss 1-2
So that would put us at 14 wins in the SEC. With our rpi that should get us into a regional.

That is how I see it going also, but that would put us at 15 wins. I think we have a good shot at winning the Ole Miss series as well.

Next weekend concerns me.

That is how I see it going also, but that would put us at 15 wins. I think we have a good shot at winning the Ole Miss series as well.

Next weekend concerns me.
LOL! I was just fixing to come back and correct that. Yes that would put us at 15-15 which would be very good for us considering where we've been, and yes I agree about Arkansas. They are tearing it up right now and Baum Stadium is a house of horrors. Great place to watch a baseball game, beautiful stadium and all, but very tough on opposing teams. If we could just get 1 I would consider that a success.

Missouri 2-1
Ole Miss 1-2
So that would put us at 15 wins in the SEC. With our rpi that should get us into a regional.

Win 15 and I think we’re talking about hosting a regional.

VN Store

Back