Ranking the SEC quarterbacks.

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
7. Jarrett Guarantano, Tennessee
I’ve gone back and forth on Guarantano for the year, so perhaps it’s fitting that he’s at No. 7 on this ranking. I’m a bit concerned about this being Guarantano’s fourth offensive coordinator in as many years, but I liked what we saw Saturday in his debut with Jim Chaney. I think Chaney will give Guarantano more chances to make plays downfield, and that’ll make Tennessee’s offense a little tougher to guard.

Guarantano still struggled with the week-to-week consistency last year, and he’ll need to be more decisive so that he takes less punishment. But Guarantano is someone who definitely could make a leap this season all the way up to No. 3, as long as he gets some help from the ground game.

The full list:

14. Riley Neal, Vanderbilt
13. Ben Hicks, Arkansas
12. Matt Corral, Ole Miss
11. Terry Wiilson, Kentucky
10. Keytaon Thompson, Mississippi State
9. Jake Bentley, South Carolina
8. Malik Willis, Auburn
6. Feleipe Franks, Florida
5. Kelly Bryant, Missouri
4. Joe Burrow, LSU
3. Kellon Mond, Texas A&M
2. Jake Fromm, Georgia
1. Tua Tagovailoa, Alabama

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...l-all-but-over-ranking-sec-quarterbacks-2019/

The full list:

14. Riley Neal, Vanderbilt
13. Ben Hicks, Arkansas
12. Matt Corral, Ole Miss
11. Terry Wiilson, Kentucky
10. Keytaon Thompson, Mississippi State
9. Jake Bentley, South Carolina
8. Malik Willis, Auburn
6. Feleipe Franks, Florida
5. Kelly Bryant, Missouri
4. Joe Burrow, LSU
3. Kellon Mond, Texas A&M
2. Jake Fromm, Georgia
1. Tua Tagovailoa, Alabama

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...l-all-but-over-ranking-sec-quarterbacks-2019/
After 1 & 2 it looks like they drew straws.

I’d like to be able to judge JG behind a decent (not even good but just average) off line.
Then, we could see if if he’s improved on his reads, throws, and willingness to take off and run when he should.

I hope you won't (or I won't) be disappointed, but if my thoughts and hopes are anywhere near accurate, the O-line may just make it to average this year and then we will see just what JG has become. I fear disappointment will be the outcome.

I get that the strength of the team plays into this and is part of it, but put Tua behind a normal OL and don’t give him the receivers he has and he is probably middle of the pack. He showed last year he wasn’t all world when he got pressured.

Not saying that Tua isn't the best qb in the sec, but hes overrated. Look at the last 3 games last season.(when bama played 3 good DLs that put pressure on him)He panicked under pressure. He made bad throws/decisions over and over. Got pulled against GA, survived a shootout against Oklahoma, and looked horrible in the NC game vs Clemson.

I’d like to be able to judge JG behind a decent (not even good but just average) off line.
Then, we could see if if he’s improved on his reads, throws, and willingness to take off and run when he should.
What a joke...the offensive line was so bad last year that if you don’t think it hindered his decisiveness on when to eithe run or throw your mistaken.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
What a joke...the offensive line was so bad last year that if you don’t think it hindered his decisiveness on when to eithe run or throw your mistaken.
I think we are saying the samevthing
I want our o line to at least be avg for him instead of terrible like it’s been since he’s been playing

Reactions: Behr
Good list and analysis. My main disagreement would be that Feleipe Franks is too high and Jake Bentley is too low. Right now, I'd probably go:

1. Tua
2. Fromm
3. Bryant
4. Bentley
5. Mond
6. JG
7. Burrow
8. Franks

4 - 8 are pretty close IMO. There's a dropoff after that. And admittedly, I don't know much of anything about Auburn's new QB.

Kentucky's Wilson is basically a Running Back masquerading as a QB; without Benny Snell, I could see his weaknesses being exposed more.

Bentley started off last season rough, but got much better as the season went along. Consistency is a huge issue for him, but when he's good, he's arguably in the top 3 in the SEC; problem is that when he's bad, he probably drops into the bottom half of the SEC.

Last edited:
k-town_king is going to have an aneurysm when he reads that list since not only is JG not listed in the top 3, but Franks is listed ahead of him.
Maybe you will. As you swore the qb room rankings at 11 was a JG ranking.

It's pretty fair. 3 -9 are a tossup. It also says he can be up to 3. Sounds about right.

Maybe you will. As you swore the qb room rankings at 11 was a JG ranking.

It's pretty fair. 3 -9 are a tossup. It also says he can be up to 3. Sounds about right.

gc56gq3f_400x400.jpg

Pretty sure I've said he was 'middling at best' in terms of the SEC.

Reactions: mpfvol

VN Store

Back