Ironton, OH
(Ironton HS)

Reid Carrico, Ironton, Athlete
Reid Carrico, 2021 Outside linebacker - Rivals
Reid Carrico on Hudl

Vols Recruiting notes
4/18/19 - Vols offer. (tweet)

Reactions: T Dog
Looks like a stud. As a running back he runs over people like Larry Csonka (with speed).

Good ole Ironton (pronounced Arnt’n). Just down river from Huntington, where we have recently pulled Darnell Wright and Riley Locklear.

Not a ton of D1 talent comes from the area, so I get excited when we offer someone from there.

Reactions: cncchris33
Good ole Ironton (pronounced Arnt’n). Just down river from Huntington, where we have recently pulled Darnell Wright and Riley Locklear.

Not a ton of D1 talent comes from the area, so I get excited when we offer someone from there.
Yes, Ironton (or as you correctly noted...Arnt'n) football has fallen back quite a bit. Used to be a big force in the area, but they are very average anymore. Not much high major talent comes out of this area (Ashland, Ironton, Huntington), but when it does, it's fun to follow. Ironton always seems to have some giant linemen, but the skill position kids are lacking or transfer.

Yes, Ironton (or as you correctly noted...Arnt'n) football has fallen back quite a bit. Used to be a big force in the area, but they are very average anymore. Not much high major talent comes out of this area (Ashland, Ironton, Huntington), but when it does, it's fun to follow. Ironton always seems to have some giant linemen, but the skill position kids are lacking or transfer.

Yep, I played at a school in the SOC. Never played Ironton in a game, but I faced them in their first time doing 7on7s, which was obviously after Lutz was no longer the head coach.

I like this kids film. He's a throwback type player. A hard nosed, no nonsense type that plays with bad intentions on both sides of the ball. I think he would fit perfect in CJP's defensive plans. That 4 for 4 linebacker coach talks about.

Competition is not good at all. The best teams his team faces are from out of state most years anymore.

In that area, competition is really Ohio > Kentucky > West Virginia high schools. Ironton typically plays a couple Kentucky schools. Back when the SEOAL was around, their conference schedule was tougher, but now the only real consistent competition is Wheelersburg.

In that area, competition is really Ohio > Kentucky > West Virginia high schools. Ironton typically plays a couple Kentucky schools. Back when the SEOAL was around, their conference schedule was tougher, but now the only real consistent competition is Wheelersburg.
Ehh, in any given year, anymore, it's probably interchangeable. Historically (last 30 years, maybe), I'd go with the order you listed. Recently, Southern Ohio football is complete garbage outside of Wheelersburg, who is very good. Kentucky isn't great either, but Ashland is always good, smaller schools like Raceland is usually good, and Greenup has improved. Western WV has Spring Valley, and Huntington, and that's about it. Charleston area has some good teams, relatively speaking, but that is getting out of the area.

Wheelersburg and Ashland (KY) are miles away the best teams on Ironton's schedule.

The first Rivals250 for the 2021 class will be released later today, and one of the strongest candidates from the state of Ohio to make the list is Ironton linebacker
Reid Carrico
. The four-star prospect has been well-traveled this off-season, with his most recent visits going to Clemson and Tennessee at the end of July.

“It was my first time at both (schools),” Carrico noted. “Knoxville was great. Getting there, you had to go through the mountains. I grew up in the hills of Appalachia, so it felt kind of like home to me. I really liked the (Tennessee) coaching staff. They kind of reminded me of coaches I have right now in high school and people I have been around my entire life.

“(Clemson) is a really cool place. I didn’t know they were that small and it kind of surprised me. Ironton is not really a very big town and the downtown portion of Clemson is smaller than my hometown. The facilities were crazy and football is it down there. It was a really cool place.
“The only (drawback) on Clemson was I didn’t get to meet Coach (Dabo) Swinney. It wasn’t because he didn’t want to meet me. It was his son’s birthday on the day that I visited. I respect that a ton, and I’m probably going to be back down there anyway.”

Carrico mentioned Clemson and Tennessee as likely game day visit destinations this fall. The southern Ohio native plans to be on the road often this fall.
“My plans for the fall is practicing all week, playing games on Friday and then going to see some (college) games on Saturdays,” Carrico said. “I have seen a lot of the schools, I just need to see some of them on game day.”
More than 30 schools have extended Carrico a scholarship offer, and because his recruitment started so early he has been able to visit many of those schools and get a feel for which programs stand out.
Rivals

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Sounds like
UT = awesome town he feels at home at with Cool Coaches
Clemson = Tiny little hole in the wall where there is nothing to do and didn't even get to meet coach

VN Store

Back