On a scale of 1-10–how hard has your fandom been hit by how bad we’ve been the last 10 years?

3 because I will always love the Vols, but only an idiot will pretend the last 12 years are healthy to accept. My dad and I connected over the Vols. I will always apprecite that. But I will no longer revolve my life around the program that has consistently found new and amazing ways to rip my heart out.

10, Im still as big a Vol fan as I ever was.

Still a big fan BUT commitments have it to where I am no longer glued to t v on Saturday. I have to watch replay on SEC network later in the week

Still a big fan BUT my expectations are more grounded

Have seen us win games that I doubted that we would win: 2009 UGA game. 2018 Auburn game 2016 UGA game. 2018 Kentucky game

Have seen us lose games that I thought that we would win: 2015 & 2017 Florida games. Many Missouri & South Carolina games. 4 or 5 Vandy games. 1 Kentucky game. U NC game

I have learned to be grounded and not get too high or too low

This is kind of a tough question for me. My original answer made me sound like a fairweather fan, so I erased it. I remember the "glory" years when it was easy to be a Vol fan. When being lower than 10 in the polls was an insult and finding articles online about the sports programs came easy and coming up with "worthy" thread topics wasn't much of a task. And I have suffered through the decline along with everybody else. If enthusiasm and excitement is the standard of measurement, I guess I am at a 5. If loyalty and sticking with them through no matter what is the standard, then I am still a 10, because there never has been and never will be any other team for me.

10, and always will be.
I remember Doug Dickey taking us to the very pinnacle of success and losing the Orange Bowl to OK and with it a Natty.....we we're #2 going into the game and #1 had lost earlier that day. Bill Battle came and while no better man ever lived, he lacked the "It" factor and he failed.
The Johnny Years, the Fulmer years and all the ups and downs between then and now haven't changed my devotion to the Vols one iota.
I've literally been around the world, many times and I can testify to you that Orange travels well. It will travel with me to the end.
GBO!!!

I think people tend to forget that it's just a game but some make their whole life about a particular team/sport. Don't get me wrong, when someone asks what are some of my hobbies I will say Tennessee football but it doesn't consume me.

It might be frustrating to see us lose and make poor decisions but I'm just happy I get to watch them play. Some don't have that opportunity anymore and eventually, I won't either.

10 all day. I hate losing as much as anyone but that doesn’t make me love the Vols any less. I still look forward to seeing orange on the field on gamedays and I always think the season is too short no matter what our record. Vol football, no matter the record, is better than no football at all.

3. Family bonding was also an important aspect of fandom for us, and those folks are no longer around. Also true for all the other teams I have watched closely. Life offers many other enjoyments, and proper spectatorship is extremely time-consuming.

Reactions: CA_Vol

VN Store

Back