Way too early top 25 (ESPN)

Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon lead Way-Too-Early Top 25 for 2019-20
Lady Vols come in at 24.
Hope this team surprises everyone.
Other surprises: UConn 7, A&M 5. Who would’ve thought A&M would ever be the preseason top SEC team? South Carolina is 9.
Stanford 3 and Oregon 1. Epic battles coming in PAC 12.

ND barely beat A&M in the tournament, and they return everyone, and then some. They have a really solid top 6. I'm not sure who they have coming in recruit-wise, but given how much other teams have lost, I wouldn't be surprised to see A&M finish in the top 10.

MSST beginning the season at #8 may be a bit high, but I think they will finish around there. Tennessee @ #24 sounds about right, but I think they are poised to finish much higher. I think this season will be like Holly's first season where they were a low preseason ranked team, but finished in the top 10 and won the SEC.

PAC12 will be brutal and the conference with the most NC contenders. SEC and ACC will have parity and a lot of top 25 teams, but probably no NC contenders. Poor sad UConn. They will be a footnote to the season, unless they hit the jackpot in the transfer portal. They have good players, but their lack of post players will hurt them. They have no one besides Nelson, and she's unproven at this point.

ND barely beat A&M in the tournament, and they return everyone, and then some. They have a really solid top 6. I'm not sure who they have coming in recruit-wise, but given how much other teams have lost, I wouldn't be surprised to see A&M finish in the top 10.

MSST beginning the season at #8 may be a bit high, but I think they will finish around there. Tennessee @ #24 sounds about right, but I think they are poised to finish much higher. I think this season will be like Holly's first season where they were a low preseason ranked team, but finished in the top 10 and won the SEC.

PAC12 will be brutal and the conference with the most NC contenders. SEC and ACC will have parity and a lot of top 25 teams, but probably no NC contenders. Poor sad UConn. They will be a footnote to the season, unless they hit the jackpot in the transfer portal. They have good players, but their lack of post players will hurt them. They have no one besides Nelson, and she's unproven at this point.
Agreed about everything except UConn. Something tells me they will be better than expected next season. It'll still be PAC12's championship though, imo.

Random but I think Stephanie watts from UNC would be a good pick up for us... we need a 2 guard and she can come in immediately and help.

Agreed about everything except UConn. Something tells me they will be better than expected next season. It'll still be PAC12's championship though, imo.

There's always that possibility, but I think that their softness in the middle will do them in. They have one inside players, and she's an inexperienced rising sophomore. They will live and die by the three, and I think that this will result in death more often than not against the best OOC teams. I see them as an E8 at best team, unless they can find some reinforcement for the paint.

24 seems about right to me.

I think Key will be the biggest determinant of our season (my guess is Horston will be an immediate impact). We need an impact post player, if we get that then I think given Horston and Davis, we could be top notch.

If we have the post play like this year, then we will struggle again to be top 25.

Turnovers I think will improve because idk how we could be worse.

This is off topic, but could someone answer a question for me? Recruits come to school at end of May. Just how much time is Coach Kellie allowed (by regulations) to coach the team before the first game (this would be separate from strength/conditioning)? Does anyone know? Thanks.

This is off topic, but could someone answer a question for me? Recruits come to school at end of May. Just how much time is Coach Kellie allowed (by regulations) to coach the team before the first game (this would be separate from strength/conditioning)? Does anyone know? Thanks.
I’m not sure about summer practice, but I do know they will get 10 days of practice prior to leaving for the European tour in August

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
24 seems about right to me.

I think Key will be the biggest determinant of our season (my guess is Horston will be an immediate impact). We need an impact post player, if we get that then I think given Horston and Davis, we could be top notch.

If we have the post play like this year, then we will struggle again to be top 25.

Turnovers I think will improve because idk how we could be worse.

Horston essentially replaces the production from Meme and Evina (about 25 ppg). I think she will be an impact player, but not enough to offset the loss of the starting backcourt. IMO, Zaay Green will need to step it up big time. I think Kushkituah more than Key will be the biggest determinant of the season. If Kasi can give 11 pts 8 rbs to go along with balanced scoring from Horston, Green, Davis and Collins...I think those 5 can carry the team. Anything they get from Key, Harris, Burrell, Massengill, Saunders, Brown and other Aussie will be extra gravy.

IIRC it is six hours per week in the summer that the coaches can spend coaching them up... even more time is allowed for the S&C staff. I've read where some staffs get around the six hour rule by having the S&C personnel preform coaching duties.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Horston essentially replaces the production from Meme and Evina (about 25 ppg). I think she will be an impact player, but not enough to offset the loss of the starting backcourt. IMO, Zaay Green will need to step it up big time. I think Kushkituah more than Key will be the biggest determinant of the season. If Kasi can give 11 pts 8 rbs to go along with balanced scoring from Horston, Green, Davis and Collins...I think those 5 can carry the team. Anything they get from Key, Harris, Burrell, Massengill, Saunders, Brown and other Aussie will be extra gravy.
Do you believe Horston will average 25 ppg in her freshmen year? If she does, she will go down in WCBB history as one of the greatest players to play the game. A true GOAT.

Do you believe Horston will average 25 ppg in her freshmen year? If she does, she will go down in WCBB history as one of the greatest players to play the game. A true GOAT.

A mere 25 pgs per game! Not good enough!
She needs to pick up the rebounds we have lost from Cheridene Green too! No slacking here!

I’m not sure about summer practice, but I do know they will get 10 days of practice prior to leaving for the European tour in August
Thank you very much for your answering post. Looked it up, and their first game then is August 8. Have you heard which teams they’ll play? Thanks again.

Last edited:
Reactions: BUBear

In my perfect Lady Vol scoring world Davis would average 14 ppg, Green 12, Kushkituah 12, Lou 10, Horston 8, Burrell 8, Massengill 8, Collins 8, Harris 4, Key 4, Rennie 4. That would give us 92 points per game, and I think Tennessee could beat most opponents with 92 points.

IIRC it is six hours per week in the summer that the coaches can spend coaching them up... even more time is allowed for the S&C staff. I've read where some staffs get around the six hour rule by having the S&C personnel preform coaching duties.
Thank you very much, BUBear, for that information. Last year our first game was the beginning of November, not counting the Bahama trip, so I assume the 6 hour rule is the same for September and October. Thanks again.

Last edited:
No. And I said as much above. She will be good, bit not able to offset the loss of Evina and Men's point production.

In my perfect Lady Vol scoring world Davis would average 14 ppg, Green 12, Kushkituah 12, Lou 10, Horston 8, Burrell 8, Massengill 8, Collins 8, Harris 4, Key 4, Rennie 4. That would give us 92 points per game, and I think Tennessee could beat most opponents with 92 points.

Davis - 18 ppg
Horston - 14 ppg
Kushkituah - 11 ppg
Green - 10 ppg
Collins - 9 ppg
Burrell - 6 ppg
Brown - 4 ppg
Massengill - 4 ppg

This is my guess for main rotation and scoring leaders. I don't think the non-Horston freshmen or Harris will be key rotation players against better teams.

Reactions: travis929
Notre Dame ranked kind of high to have seven returnees that played very little. They have three top freshmen coming in but their roster looks nothing like a top 20 team. Danielle Patterson in transfers portal today.

Horston will be impact, but imo our season lies with whether Harper can get Davis right. Davis has all the potential in the world to be an elite wing, but she hasn't come close to her potential. She must become more physical, more willing to take contact, and more willing to take and make midrange/post up shots. Davis has the potential to average 20 ppg...but will she ever get there? Not to mention her sometimes putrid defense, something which is inexcusable.

Reactions: Hangtyme24

VN Store

Back