The brutally honest August meeting with JG.

Vfl2407

I think that our QB has matured enough to have this meeting in August.
Where after about two weeks, CJP and the offensive assistants sit down with JUST JG.
They then tell him (especially Chaney and Weinke) what they see as his strengths and weaknesses.
The rest of the staff will then talk about their positions strengths and weaknesses.
This is most important about Will Friend.
He needs to say where there is any improvement or decline in pass or run blocking, depth etc.

Then, Pruitt and Chaney will tell him with all of that taken into consideration, here is our plan of attack to try to maximize our strengths and hide our weaknesses.

Now, if Trey Smith cant play and Wanya and Wright aren’t ready for SEC competition as freshman, the brutally honest talk from Friend to JG might not be too pleasant. He might say, dude you’re gonna have to make a lot of plays are on your own and do it quickly or he might say that his group is much better at either run or pass blocking. Hopefully, they help him get better at the internal clock in his head of knowing when to expect the rush to be there.

Should be an interesting fall. I do expect Chaney to be a big help to JG.

So you want the starting QB to talk to the OC and HC about where our offense stands?

Is this accurate?
Not just that.
I’m saying brutal honesty (for his ears only) about each position group and each player.
I don’t think previous coaching staff trusted JGs maturity level to hear all of that about himself and his teammates and handle it properly. I think Chaney feels he does now.
I sense a different trust level on both sides now. I could be wrong though.

Not just that.
I’m saying brutal honesty (for his ears only) about each position group and each player.
I don’t think previous coaching staff trusted JGs maturity level to hear all of that about himself and his teammates and handle it properly. I think Chaney feels he does now.
I sense a different trust level on both sides now. I could be wrong though.
So.... not JUST game-planning....

HONEST game-planning!

Reactions: BloomuVol
Give up the ignorant takes. They have been tired.
Explain how it is an ignorant take?

JG has been given plenty of chances, if he hasn't improved greatly then it is time to move on. It clearly isn't working with JG as the QB.

Pruitt himself said that the 1's held the ball too long in the O&W game.

The only way that JG gets replaced is if he gets hit constantly can't leave the field on his own power. I don't wish that on anyone.

Neither of the other Qbs have any real experience, so I dont wish that on them either, especially if our OL isn't any better than last season.

@Vfl2407 , i think that's a good assessment of the conversation that must be taking place between the starting QB and his coaches. But I don't think it's a sit-down thing in August.

Some conversations just play out constantly over time, day in and day out, so that everyone involved knows all that information, and how each other see it, at any point in time. I think this is one of THOSE kinds of conversations.

JG knows today how the OL is shaping up, he knows how the coaches are assessing it, as well as how his teammates see it (including the OL themselves). He has his own assessment, and has thought through ways he can meld better with their strengths and weaknesses.

It'll change tomorrow, or next week, or the week after. And then again a week after that. And again by the start of fall camp. And again a week after that. and so on.

And at each of those points, where things are incrementally changing, all the coaches' and players' assessments will be changing too, and they'll be sharing their viewpoints throughout. For the OC in particular, that will include the kinds of plays he thinks the offense can successfully execute.

So there really doesn't have to be a single, monumental, August meeting. Get what I'm saying?

Give up the ignorant takes. They have been tired.

The real answer lies somewhere in the middle.

JG has had a tough road as follows:
- Crappy OL both yrs
- 2 coordinators without P5 coordinating experience
- Subpar skill position players
- One head coach in over his head (Butch)
- Another head coach that had 0 HC experience

JG does have lead feet in the pocket and he holds on/takes too long to process. Some of that is on him but a lot of that has been to subpar OL, skill player, and coaching...

@Vfl2407 , i think that's a good assessment of the conversation that must be taking place between the starting QB and his coaches. But I don't think it's a sit-down thing in August.

Some conversations just play out constantly over time, day in and day out, so that everyone involved knows all that information, and how each other see it, at any point in time. I think this is one of THOSE kinds of conversations.

JG knows today how the OL is shaping up, he knows how the coaches are assessing it, as well as how his teammates see it (including the OL themselves). He has his own assessment, and has thought through ways he can meld better with their strengths and weaknesses.

It'll change tomorrow, or next week, or the week after. And then again a week after that. And again by the start of fall camp. And again a week after that. and so on.

And at each of those points, where things are incrementally changing, all the coaches' and players' assessments will be changing too, and they'll be sharing their viewpoints throughout. For the OC in particular, that will include the kinds of plays he thinks the offense can successfully execute.

So there really doesn't have to be a single, monumental, August meeting. Get what I'm saying?

I do see that.
I’m just hoping that more can be put on JG mentally this year.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Out of ten sacks he may hold the ball too long once or twice. The rest of them are the line. It's hilarious the JG bashers keep harping on that and ignoring the 90% of sacks that aren't his fault.
If we aren't competitive against Florida and Georgia again he is getting replaced. Our coach isn't insane and won't continue expecting different results from the same on-field play.

VN Store

Back