5 concerns from spring practice..

I could, both the O and D Lines are concerns, CJP will have them at the highest potential come September, and 2-3 more wins than last year, the schedule this year is nothing close to last year.

Yet another year of bad OL and DL play likely coming. Its still hard to imagine how far we have actually fallen.
Its been like a runaway train for over a decade , lots of teams getting better improving , SEC tough conference miss on a couple recruiting classes your in lower
tier ……………………..GO VOLS

Injury issue is overblown. As much as I like DKjr, he would have been passed over even if he was healthy. Now if he hadn't messed up that knee at all, he would have been the starter hands down....but we were beyond that to start this season.

Honestly, the longer time goes by and Trey is out there practicing, the more likely it is that he plays and starts. I'm thinking interior-wise, we are looking at Jamir Johnson, Kennedy and Trey Smith with KRoijhn Calbert, Niehaus, and Ryan Johnson/Locklear backing them up. At tackles we are looking at Tatum and Morris/Wright with Niehaus and Akporoghene backing them up. Stud Lampert should get a redshirt as he deserves.

Don't count this OL out yet, especially with Kennedy and Trey on snap counts and Wright not even on campus yet.

With the loss of so many starters on the DL, I couldn't determine if the OL showed improvement or the DL just made them look better. I'm afraid it may truly be a concern on both ends. Given it was the spring game though, I am hoping I might just be reading too much into it. GBO!!

I could, both the O and D Lines are concerns, CJP will have them at the highest potential come September, and 2-3 more wins than last year, the schedule this year is nothing close to last year.
The only difference in the schedule this year from last is we don’t get a top 15-20 team like WVa as our toughest out of conference game. However, instead of only having 1 OOC team like last year that could beat us (WVa), we actually have 2 this year imo (BYU and UAB) although neither are as good as WVa was.

Beyond that, just like last year, we got Florida, Georgia, SCar, Mizzou, Ky, Vandy and Alabama. And just like last year when we played Auburn, we’ll be underdogs to another SECw team when we play a good, tough MissSt team.

I’m not seeing where the schedule is “nowhere close to last year”. It’s virtually identical imo.

With the loss of so many starters on the DL, I couldn't determine if the OL showed improvement or the DL just made them look better. I'm afraid it may truly be a concern on both ends. Given it was the spring game though, I am hoping I might just be reading too much into it. GBO!!

Feel like the big problem with the DL is depth and the spring game doesn't test that well. In a real game, the 2nd string D-line doesn't have the luxury of going up against the 2nd string O-line; they still have to play the 1st string.

You can't tell a whole lot from a spring game. Not good. Not bad. You're playing your own guys after weeks of playing your own guys.

They're still breaking eggs... particularly Chaney. Yeah, JG reverted in the first half but looked better in the 2nd half. The OL looked better in pass pro in the 2nd half as well. If Chaney coaches like he did before at UT then he'll push the O's limits until first game week then back up and game plan with what they do well.

Barely adequate performance from a barely adequate team will excite fans with unexpected dreams. I know you'll snicker, laugh at, and make fun of me. But just until the season starts and you will see. I got Vols fever, Vols fever, Vols fever. Which makes me now and forever a Vols believer. You will see strange things and just when we're losing late. This barely adequate team will more than once escape a losing fate. They will call it the wonder season and then marvel and rejoice at what shouldn't have been. Yes, I got Vols fever, Vols fever, Vols fever. Which makes me now and forever a Vols believer.

Year two don't expect much...year 3-4 that is when your expectations should be on the front burner!
If you’re any seasoned, long-time Vols fan, you should’ve learned my now to have no expectations of Tennessee football. Expect the worst because it’s very likely, almost certain to happen....and be thankful as hell (and surprised) for anything positive whatsoever, because it’s few and far between.

Reactions: 08Vol and Titan05
The only difference in the schedule this year from last is we don’t get a top 15-20 team like WVa as our toughest out of conference game. However, instead of only having 1 OOC team like last year that could beat us (WVa), we actually have 2 this year imo (BYU and UAB) although neither are as good as WVa was.

Beyond that, just like last year, we got Florida, Georgia, SCar, Mizzou, Ky, Vandy and Alabama. And just like last year when we played Auburn, we’ll be underdogs to another SECw team when we play a good, tough MissSt team.

I’m not seeing where the schedule is “nowhere close to last year”. It’s virtually identical imo.
BYU looks to be a better match-up than WV (at home also.) A Miss St. win would merely replace the Auburn win. Even after all this failure people still look to the back end of the schedule and assume 3 wins in November. SC is at home this year. But the more I look at it, the more right you seem. 7-5 will be a doable challenge, but it was last year as well.

Reactions: 08Vol
Our starting DL graduated yet were completely unable to generate an effective pass rush. That does not bode well for the people behind them one would normally expect to see as starters this season. However, we are bringing in a Juco that's supposed to be good, not every one of these pans out. Seems like you have to run. through 50 of them before you find one Leonard Little. If that's the case we're due for a good one. OL, we can't know until our freshman show up and the final decision on Trey Smith playing this season gets made. If our two highly rated frosh can start we may end up serviceable on the OL. Our QB play will live or die based on how well our OL can play together.

VN Store

Back