A Few Questions - How Many We Can We Sign in 2020?

Evergrenevol

Lux et Veritas
Many fans are getting nervous about recruiting. I believe we’re limited in size in the 2020 class. (Less than 25) My assumption is that Pruitt and staff are being very particular in who we sign in Dec. / Feb.

So, how many can we take in 2020?

How many are currently committed?

Where / when do Solomon and Gibbs count?

What is Kirkland’s status? Is he transferring or is he done?

Many fans are getting nervous about recruiting. I believe we’re limited in the size of the 2020 class. My assumption is that Pruitt and staff are being very particular in who we sign in Dec. / Feb.

Yes

Many fans are getting nervous about recruiting. I believe we’re limited in the size of the 2020 class. My assumption is that Pruitt and staff are being very particular in who we sign in Dec. / Feb.

Jk. I think we can sign 22 or 23. We have 6 now I think. Solomon and Gibbs count toward 2020. Kirkland is likely sitting out to try to get healthy enough for the draft.

Reactions: Evergrenevol
Answer is simple right now (assuming K. Solomon and Harris sign, as blueshirts):

We can take up to 23 with no blueshirts.

We can take up to 25 with up to 2 blueshirts.

Reactions: Evergrenevol
No, only counts toward the 85 total

Bingo. Medical retirements in no way can affect signing numbers, UNLESS it occurs between signing and participating in any team acitivities - Bylaw 13.9.2.3.3.

This applies to one on our team, as no medical retirements were from true freshman.

Adding Solomon & Gibbs makes 8.

To be clear, Solomon and Gibbs don't count all the way to 2020, that's goin a little crazy. A guy that signs December 2018 cannot count that far foward. He could have technically counted to 2018 (current AY) or foward to 2019, as he did. Same as an EE.

K Solomon and Gibbs are the only blueshirts. They will count toward the 2019 signing limit and 2020 IC limit.

A. Solomon and Gibbs done signed a ways back.

Reactions: AaronUT
Bingo. Medical retirements in no way can affect signing numbers, UNLESS it occurs between signing and participating in any team acitivities - Bylaw 13.9.2.3.3.

This applies to one on our team, as no medical retirements were from true freshman.
Antonutti was a true freshman. VQ already said we got that counter back.

Reactions: feathersax
To be clear, Solomon and Gibbs don't count all the way to 2020, that's goin a little crazy. A guy that signs December 2018 cannot count that far foward. He could have technically counted to 2018 (current AY) or foward to 2019, as he did. Same as an EE.

K Solomon and Gibbs are the only blueshirts. They will count toward the 2019 signing limit and 2020 IC limit.

A. Solomon and Gibbs done signed a ways back.

IC Limit?

A counter yes of course, but not an IC or signing spot. His retirement allows an additional scholarship spot, but not to take another kid in the annual numbers. Otherwise we could have fit 26 this year, which we could not. Always get the 85-spot back for these retirements.

As for the bylaw, Antonutti retired in December, well beyond "participation in athletically related activities", so that bylaw wouldn't apply to him. It was really meant for kids that, say, signed in Dec or Feb, then had a career ending injury in the Spring, before ever joining the team. The signing spot is granted back.

The signing spot exception is really just there to match up with IC limits. There's no IC exception for the same situation, since that same player would never even become an IC, so that makes sense.

Once you join the team, all bets are off really. Only midyear replacements and career ending injuries exist to replace 85-counters.

A counter yes of course, but not an IC or signing spot. His retirement allows an additional scholarship spot, but not to take another kid in the annual numbers. Otherwise we could have fit 26 this year, which we could not. Always get the 85-spot back for these retirements.

As for the bylaw, Antonutti retired in December, well beyond "participation in athletically related activities", so that bylaw wouldn't apply to him. It was really meant for kids that, say, signed in Dec or Feb, then had a career ending injury in the Spring, before ever joining the team. The signing spot is granted back.

The signing spot exception is really just there to match up with IC limits. There's no IC exception for the same situation, since that same player would never even become an IC, so that makes sense.

Once you join the team, all bets are off really. Only midyear replacements and career ending injuries exist to replace 85-counters.
I think your interpretation’s wrong. We’ll see.

I think this is the article from VQ.

Antonutti was relegated to shorts and a T-shirt during fall camp.
He would ultimately get the news that his back was in for too much pain to continue playing the game. That’s when Pruitt stepped in and offered him a chance to help in a different way. A resolution that still sees Antonutti get his degree and keeps him around the game as a student assistant coach.
“I have not met a more honest coach through out my football career,” Antonutti said of Pruitt.

“He promised that I was going to get my degree no matter what ,and not only is he letting me get my degree. I also get the privilege to learn under his coaching staff and continue to be a part of what I love so much. My love for Tennessee, Vol Nation, and anyone who is involved with Tennessee remains strong. I am still giving my all for Tennessee!”

So what does it mean for Pruitt and the program? Antonutti will remain on academic scholarship but will not count toward the scholarship number of 85 for football. The football program was granted his initial scholarship back from last season.

VolQuest.com - OL Tanner Antonutti takes medical retirement, plans to still impact Vols

Reactions: Sleegro and butchna

VN Store

Back