NBA Draft Invites

vavolfan6

All of Tennessee's guys were left out, yet PJ Washington, Keldon Johnson, and Tyler Herro all were invited to the 2019 NBA draft.

I know I am biased, but this completely baffles me! The mocks have been slotting all of Kentucky's guys top 20..yet Tennessee's guys have fallen to the 2nd round..? What gives? PJ Washington is decent, Johnson is meh but young, and Herro is a bust waiting to happen....I expect Bone to have a better career than all 3 of those guys, and in no scenario should Admiral and Grant be rated below Herro and Johnson. Completely bogus!

NBA invites 20 prospects to 2019 draft green room

Reactions: VolMarine1371
I guess those with that are investing a ton of money or actually have jobs on the line and do this for a living disagree with your assessment. Also, they are looking for NBA talent/potential which is can be very different than college talent.

I guess those with that are investing a ton of money or actually have jobs on the line and do this for a living disagree with your assessment. Also, they are looking for NBA talent/potential which is can be very different than college talent.

I admittingly haven't follow basketball closely, but I've watched enough football to know that those that do pre-draft analysis for a living know very little more than the masses. They may have an inside scoop on what team likes whom, but they are in the dark for the most part. Its usually, a comparison game of who has who ranked where and following each other. I've seen this draft gurus flip their rankings week to week, which if you do your own analysis and nothing changes, why should you change anything?

I admittingly haven't follow basketball closely, but I've watched enough football to know that those that do pre-draft analysis for a living know very little more than the masses. They may have an inside scoop on what team likes whom, but they are in the dark for the most part. Its usually, a comparison game of who has who ranked where and following each other. I've seen this draft gurus flip their rankings week to week, which if you do your own analysis and nothing changes, why should you change anything?
That’s ridiculous. There are absolutely those who know quite a bit and the actual draft will reveal who is in the know and who’s not.

Reactions: JoAllan and pimo1
All of Tennessee's guys were left out, yet PJ Washington, Keldon Johnson, and Tyler Herro all were invited to the 2019 NBA draft.

I know I am biased, but this completely baffles me! The mocks have been slotting all of Kentucky's guys top 20..yet Tennessee's guys have fallen to the 2nd round..? What gives? PJ Washington is decent, Johnson is meh but young, and Herro is a bust waiting to happen....I expect Bone to have a better career than all 3 of those guys, and in no scenario should Admiral and Grant be rated below Herro and Johnson. Completely bogus!

Not trying to sound rude, but you admittedly are biased and it is wholly clouding your judgement. All three UK players have higher ceilings, and the NBA drafts on potential. Is it fair, maybe, maybe not. But guys like the Tennessee 3 have always been underdogs, and that won't change once money is involved. They are going to constantly have to earn their keep and prove themselves.

You actually answered your own question. Young.

In the draft both NFL and even more in the NBA youth is valued very very much. Hence A freshman or sophomore has more value than a slightly better junior or senior. And even inside that the actual age is compared . I actually got bored the other day and tracked drafts since 2000. The number of seniors drafted in the first round was like 2-3 a year average juniors only fared slightly better. Get into the lottery and it's almost all freshmen with some sophomore for flavor. Before the one and done rule it was even worse.

It's the same way NBA teams are often less worried about a guy with lowish 3 point shooting in college if they shoot well from the line, because they know the tools are there. They use buzzwords like floor and ceiling. High floor low ceiling almost always translates to senior and high ceiling normally means young. Trust me if Grant Williams was 1 inch taller and had a bigger wingspan he'd be a lottery pick 1-2 years ago. Bone with bigger hands gets drafted first round all day.

If a prospect is young and has prototypical physical talents and assets their game can have more class. If a guy has physical limitations (all 3 of our guys do) then they have less value unless they are transcendent. Williams short with short arms. Bone tiny hands combo guard (he was listed as a SG not a PG at combine). Admiral was fat, his birthday was like one of the highest at combine, not good for a guy slotted at 2/3.

UT is not really a pipeline school and that matters for players who are not lottery guys. Once you get out of the lottery teams kinda fall into that pipeline, taste type of mentality. In fact the further into the draft the more weird in-house voodoo comes into who they pick. A team like say the Heat may give Bone a longer look than most in the second round. The clippers, pistons and sixers might be eyeing Grant and Admiral. Because they had past success with UT players that fit their description. Teams with multiple picks, Celtics and Hawks can get creative.

Reactions: vavolfan6

Agree completely. They're just going off pedigree. I don't see Johnson or Hero as draftable prospects.

VN Store

Back