Inside The Tennessee Playbook: Texas

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss

The Basics

The blocking rules for any zone running play are really quite basic. Here is the simplest I can put it: If an offensive lineman has a defensive lineman directly in front of him he blocks that player. If an offensive lineman is not directly covered up by a defensive lineman, he then steps in the direction the play is going — toward the formation strength in Texas — and provides help to the offensive lineman next to him. This is how the interior offensive line is able to establish double teams at the point of attack. Once the two offensive linemen working together displace the one defensive lineman being blocked from the line of scrimmage, then one offensive lineman will scrape off to a linebacker while the other maintains control of the defensive lineman. Now, it can get much more complicated than the above description depending on the type of zone running play called, defensive alignment, and defensive tendencies. However, hopefully that brief explanation provides a good understanding of what the Vols are trying to accomplish with Texas. Here is how the play looks drawn up against an odd-front defense.

Figure_1.png

Texas is likely to be a staple play of the Vols offense during the regular season, and it was not surprising to see it so frequently called by Jim Chaney during the Orange & White Game. This is a play the offense will need to execute at a high level in order to run the ball effectively. Below is an example of the first team offense running Texas exactly like the diagram drawn above.

A great in depth article.

So are we running more zone or man blocking this year? I sort of thought Butch ran zone, which typically prefers smaller linemen, but we were transitioning to more man.

fwiw I've seen stats that support zone as the more effective scheme, so I'd be happy if we use it plenty. But it's also harder to teach, so we better teach it better than the last staff did.

So are we running more zone or man blocking this year? I sort of thought Butch ran zone...
That waste of skin - there are burn victims that could use it - "ran" nothing. Nothing from that time has anything to do with reality except failure.

Pruitt/Chaney will put players in a position that affords them an opportunity to succeed.

If our lineman can actually get to the second level and get a block on the lb then that will be a big improvement. We really need a fb to lead the way on plays like this. Its alot harder for the guards to get off blocks and then up to the lb's than it looks on paper especially if the dt stunts into the gap. Also we need the rb to read the blocks and bounce to the open spot instead of running straight into the blocks. One thing that will help us this year is being stronger and HOPEFULLY being able to actually fire off the ball instead of letting the d lineman make first contact which will get you beat all day long at the line of scrimmage

Go back to the days of the single wing and leather helmets and you'll find it's the same dxxx thing. It's fundamental football. As an OL if no one is heads up on you for you to block you roll to the strength and assist block or peel and take next available. It's not freakin' rocket science ya'll and why it's frustrating when we execute a basic running play and watch various and sundry Vol OLs standing there with their xxxxs in their hands having made zero contact with anybody.

The Basics

The blocking rules for any zone running play are really quite basic. Here is the simplest I can put it: If an offensive lineman has a defensive lineman directly in front of him he blocks that player. If an offensive lineman is not directly covered up by a defensive lineman, he then steps in the direction the play is going — toward the formation strength in Texas — and provides help to the offensive lineman next to him. This is how the interior offensive line is able to establish double teams at the point of attack. Once the two offensive linemen working together displace the one defensive lineman being blocked from the line of scrimmage, then one offensive lineman will scrape off to a linebacker while the other maintains control of the defensive lineman. Now, it can get much more complicated than the above description depending on the type of zone running play called, defensive alignment, and defensive tendencies. However, hopefully that brief explanation provides a good understanding of what the Vols are trying to accomplish with Texas. Here is how the play looks drawn up against an odd-front defense.

Figure_1.png

Texas is likely to be a staple play of the Vols offense during the regular season, and it was not surprising to see it so frequently called by Jim Chaney during the Orange & White Game. This is a play the offense will need to execute at a high level in order to run the ball effectively. Below is an example of the first team offense running Texas exactly like the diagram drawn above.

A great in depth article.

All my x’s live in Texas, that’s why I reside in Tennessee!
Go Vols beat Texas

So are we running more zone or man blocking this year? I sort of thought Butch ran zone, which typically prefers smaller linemen, but we were transitioning to more man.

fwiw I've seen stats that support zone as the more effective scheme, so I'd be happy if we use it plenty. But it's also harder to teach, so we better teach it better than the last staff did.
Actually Butch ran more man than zone.... it was close though... he ran the GT counter A LOT...

Zone is actually easier to teach than man is but none of it is simple... the above article does a good job of keeping it simple but there is a reason why the closer you get to the ball the more IQ you need to have.

(Sorry if I seem “too much” I almost became a coach so I know a little, not a lot but a little)

Kinda ironic that the Tennessee Volunteers is running Texas when Texas ran away from Tennessee volunteers fighting beside them at the Alamo...
Not to be that guy, but actually few of the people who died there for Texas were actually natives of the State. They were from all over the South and to some extent the world. Even more Ironic is that the nominal commander of the fort William Travis was from Alabama. I find it amazing that a Tennessee boy and a Bammer went into immortality together. Seriously though read the letters during the siege that Travis wrote, it's pretty moving the way he stood his ground to the end

VN Store

Back