10 greatest seasons by Vols who didn’t earn All-American honors

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss
Tennessee football: 10 greatest seasons by Vols who didn’t earn All-American honors

Here's the list.

10. Jay Graham
9. Terry Fair
8. Marcus Nash
7. Erik Ainge
6. Casey Clausen
5. Jason Witten
4. JW Sherrill
3. Josh Dobbs
2. Jonathan Brown
1. Peerless Price

Jonathan Brown Defensive End, 1997

"Speaking of 1997, there is one performance by one key player everybody forgets about. He was randomly on the defensive line But Tennessee football does not win the SEC Championship that season without his efforts.

Everybody likes to remember Leonard Little on defense. On offense, they remember Peyton Manning throwing it to Marcus Nash, Peerless Price, Andy McCullough and Jermaine Copeland with Jamal Lewis running the ball and Trey Teague anchoring the line at center. Anybody else they’ll remember on defense is Al Wilson and Terry Fair.

But Jonathan Brown was arguably the most important playmaker. While Little moved around from linebacker to defensive line, Brown was the breakout playmaker. He ended up with 13.5 sacks on the year.

For context, that’s second only to Reggie White’s 15 in 1983 in terms of number of sacks in a single season in school history. Brown does not get talked about a lot nearly as much as the other guys, but don’t forget he went in the third round of the 1998 NFL Draft. So he was clearly a valuable player on the Vols at the time."

I forgot how great of a season he had. 13.5 sacks in the SEC makes you an All American by default imo.

Last edited:
Great article, I had forgotten about Jonathan Brown. I could also make arguments for putting guys like Wilks and Bain on this list.
source.gif

Tennessee football: 10 greatest seasons by Vols who didn’t earn All-American honors

Here's the list.

10. Jay Graham
9. Terry Fair
8. Marcus Nash
7. Erik Ainge
6. Casey Clausen
5. Jason Witten
4. JW Sherrill
3. Josh Dobbs
2. Jonathan Brown
1. Peerless Price

Jonathan Brown Defensive End, 1997

"Speaking of 1997, there is one performance by one key player everybody forgets about. He was randomly on the defensive line But Tennessee football does not win the SEC Championship that season without his efforts.

Everybody likes to remember Leonard Little on defense. On offense, they remember Peyton Manning throwing it to Marcus Nash, Peerless Price, Andy McCullough and Jermaine Copeland with Jamal Lewis running the ball and Trey Teague anchoring the line at center. Anybody else they’ll remember on defense is Al Wilson and Terry Fair.

But Jonathan Brown was arguably the most important playmaker. While Little moved around from linebacker to defensive line, Brown was the breakout playmaker. He ended up with 13.5 sacks on the year.

For context, that’s second only to Reggie White’s 15 in 1983 in terms of number of sacks in a single season in school history. Brown does not get talked about a lot nearly as much as the other guys, but don’t forget he went in the third round of the 1998 NFL Draft. So he was clearly a valuable player on the Vols at the time."

I forgot how great of a season he had. 13.5 sacks in the SEC makes you an All American by default imo.

Casey Clausen had the Heart of a Lion and that burning desire to win, that just can't be taught, just learned!

Casey Clausen had the Heart of a Lion and that burning desire to win, that just can't be taught, just learned!

When Claussen walked onto the field, it was Game On, football fans!

Last edited:
Next to Peyton, Casey is the best QB to ever play at UT. Hands down.

I know this will be considered blasphemy by some here, but while Peyton is the GOAT in the NFL...a very convincing case can be made that Casey was the better QB while he was on the Hill. Period. I know Peytons numbers are SLIGHTLY better. .Casey is 2nd only to him in pretty much every passing stat, and watch that video to see how much better Casey was at running the ball. No contest.

Then theres Caseys 14 and 1 road record, beating the gators IN the swampy ( Peyton never beat fla) and the fact that while Peyton had " happy feet" as they called them on TV early in his career, Casey had Ice water in his veins from day 1. The kid was a straight up fearless QB every snap of his career. I have said many times before...if Clausen would have been from Tennessee or even the south instead of Cali, he would have been hailed as the greatest. All he did was win...but many of us good ole boys just couldnt get past the fact that he was a blond haired blue eyed California kid.

Yall look up Caseys stats as a Vol before burning me at the stake. Especially wins etc and against our rivals...dude was money. Surprised he didnt have a good pro career. He coaches HS instead. Great player and from posters here that went to school here with him...he could drink like a Russian sailor....

Him and Tee both got fat...looks like they are posing for a " who has the fattest Cabbage Patch head??" Contest....

Lmao

VN Store

Back