'22 GA CB Andre Stewart (Kentucky commit)

“My interest in Tennessee definitely got higher,” said Stewart, who’s ranked the No. 406 overall prospect and No. 37 cornerback in the 2022 class, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

“They said I’m definitely one of the top corners in the country, and they’re going to recruit me hard.”

The 6-foot, 169-pound Stewart said he’s now higher on Tennessee than he was during Pruitt’s tenure because of “just how much they think I can make a big impact at Tennessee early.” Martinez and Banks spoke with Stewart on Monday, informing him of his offer from the Vols’ new staff.

“They really like my ball skills and how aggressive I am,” said Stewart, a former teammate of Tennessee freshman quarterback Harrison Bailey at Marietta (Ga.) High School who transferred to Brookwood going into his junior season.

Stewart said he “had a relationship with the staff,” led by former defensive coordinator Derrick Ansley, before Pruitt’s firing on Jan. 18 amid an investigation into alleged NCAA recruiting violations. But Stewart didn’t seem to be a major priority for Tennessee’s former staff in recent months.

“I was talking with them from time to time because I was committed to Auburn at the time,” Stewart said.

He now likes the Vols for multiple reasons after hearing from Heupel’s staff.

“I really like this new staff and how they have everything running,” said Stewart, who has received offers from more than 25 schools. “I’ve been to Tennessee a lot, and I love the fans and the whole atmosphere.”
-Callahan

Stewart received an early offer from former Tennessee coach Jeremy Pruitt’s staff nearly two years ago, and he said the Vols’ new staff has picked up where their previous coaches left off in pursuing him. Stewart said he had “been up there maybe three or four times” during Pruitt’s tenure.

He previously played at Marietta (Ga.) High School, where he was a teammate of Tennessee sophomore quarterback Harrison Bailey, and he once was committed to Auburn, where current Vols defensive line analyst Levorn Harbin previously was involved in recruiting Stewart for the Tigers. But his multiple connections to Tennessee are hardly the only reasons he’s still taking a hard look at the Vols.

“I still talk to them a lot,” Stewart said. “They still show love, ever since I committed. They believe in me strongly. They always showed love and always believed in me. Never really backed off.

“I’d probably say (we talk), like, every couple days. We talk every week, but, like, every couple days — maybe three or four times a week. I talk to Coach Chop (Harbin), (defensive backs) coach (Willie) Martinez, Coach BJ (linebackers coach Brian Jean-Mary) It’s a lot of coaches I talk to.”

“They really show a lot of love. Coach Chop, he was recruiting me when he was at Auburn, and now that he’s got the Tennessee job, he’s showing me a lot of love. He believes in my abilities and whatnot. I like the feeling that Tennessee gives off. They just give off that vibe that I like. Definitely, that’s the reason why I want to go back up there and take those visits.”
Stewart said last week that he was “mostly getting to know the new staff and really connecting with the players and with everybody,” including Martinez, “and really just getting to
know everybody, meeting all the new faces and whatnot.”

The visit showed him that Tennessee’s new coaches are “friendly, show a lot of love” and make Tennessee a “welcoming home, home feel.”

“Just show a lot of love,” Stewart added. “I definitely feel like they’re going to take care of everybody.

“I’ve done a couple Zooms with them, but the face-to-face is really different — the vibe, friendliness. They really welcomed me. They didn’t act like I was just an ordinary kid. I’m one of their top priorities, and they definitely showed a lot of love — the coaches, from the (graduate assistants) all the way up to the top guy.

“It’s a lot of love going in Tennessee right now.”

The Vols have told Stewart, who’s planning to enroll in January, that he could make an early impact on their secondary, where they have “not a lot of corners.”

“Definitely, I can come in as a freshman and make a big impact,” he said. “They definitely believe I’ve got a bright future there. … They think I can come in and make an impact, at the
corner spot or wherever they need me. They believe I’m that guy.”
-Callahan

“Soon to be Three-star Kentucky decommit Andre Stewart was really good in coverage as well. The Peach State corner had several pass breakups and consistently put himself in a good position to make plays all over the field, especially defending downfield. Should only improve once coached by Coach Martinez.”
- Rivals

I may or may not have taken some creative liberties with that posting. 🤷‍♂️

VN Store

Back