Doug Mathews very bullish this morning.

Vfl2407

Listening to his radio show for the first time in a long time this morning.
As usual, very complimentary of his BFF Fulmer for extending Vitello contract and hiring KJH.
AS for football, he loves all of the new coaches especially Chaney.
Says that Chaney will get ball to our playmakers.
Says he’s not worried about Jennings being ready after summer rehab.
Higher on offense than defense.
Said def line is biggest concern but thinks Coach Rocker will get what he can out of the avail talent.
Likes start to recruiting.
Expects about 6 instaters to sign almost exclusively linemen

Hope you are right, about the in-staters. We need linemen, desperately, on either side of the line. Chaney will make sure the playmakers get the ball, in space. A lot more of #8, on screens, and I'd like to see us use some speedy WR's on the Jet Sweeps, to get to the corners.

Hope you are right, about the in-staters. We need linemen, desperately, on either side of the line. Chaney will make sure the playmakers get the ball, in space. A lot more of #8, on screens, and I'd like to see us use some speedy WR's on the Jet Sweeps, to get to the corners.

He said our biggest need in recruiting is some jailbreak type speedster receivers.
Said we have some good possession receivers now but no speeddemons.

He said our biggest need in recruiting is some jailbreak type speedster receivers.
Agreed. No one who can stretch the field, or get any seperation, whatsoever. We can't live on 50/50 balls, and short to intermediate routes. There has to be a threat of going to the house, on every play, from someone on the field. Chandler is really our only threat to take it to the house, every down, and he alternates with Jordan.

Reactions: feathersax

If we show that we can have some semblance of a passing game this year then the big time wideouts will start giving us a look. Until we prove that, we’re not gonna get any elite level speedster wideouts.

It’s funny. I thought I misheard him. But maybe he did say Parker and not Harper.
You didn’t mis-hear is, idiot said it twice. Also, has no earthly idea how to pronounce our baseball coach’s name.

Last edited:
Heard the same from Doug in 2017, then we went 4-8.

Agree.

Also, Recall that he was pushing hard for extending Jones (who already had 3 years remaining) before the disastrous 2017 season. Then, if one wants to remember, he said the OC hire was “95% done” about a month and a half before it was finally actually done.....in other words, he had no freaking idea.

Also, he evidently thinks that we have an enormously talented team, that experience is by far the most important ingredient to winning (since we have a lot of guys that have a lot of experience), and that Darrin Kirkland Jr was the greatest linebacker in SEC, perhaps college football history. I could go on, I’ll stop there.

Just have to take about 98% of what he says with a very large grain of salt.

Reactions: Jack Burton
Agree.

Also, Recall that he was pushing hard for extending Jones (who already had 3 years remaining) before the disastrous 2017 season. Then, if one wants to remember, he said the OC hire was “95% done” about a month and a half before it was finally actually done.....in other words, he had no freaking idea.

Also, he evidently thinks that we have an enormously talented team, that experience is by far the most important ingredient to winning (since we have a lot of guys that have a lot of experience), and that Darrin Kirkland Jr was the greatest linebacker in SEC, perhaps college football history. I could go on, I’ll stop there.

Just have to take about 98% of what he says with a very large grain of salt.
Is your radio stuck on one station or do you listen just so you can come here and gripe some more?

Is your radio stuck on one station or do you listen just so you can come here and gripe some more?
Nah, I listen to lots of stuff. Just listen to Mathews a couple or 3 times a week since he’s on 104.5 and I live in middle Tennessee. I used to come on here in years past and cute him as a reliable source. Don’t do it any more since he’s clearly slipped. That answer your question?

When is Doug Matthews not bullish?
Correct. I understand that he used to coach there, that he’s friends with Philip and that Tennessee is his adopted team because of it. But as a radio guy/analyst/commentator, if you don’t “tell it like it is”, your listeners eventually see through it and you lose credibility.........Doug has now lost a lot of his credibility.

Reactions: Remy and CA_Vol

VN Store

Back