Vols Make Phil Steele's Most Improved List

Let’s hope Coach Rocker can get the most out of what we’ve got. Saw him on ESPN last night watching his son pitch for Vandy.
Even if he can get the absolute most effort and have his unit commit minimal mistakes, the D line will not be able to go against SEC O lines. that unit is not ready for prime time from an experience and conditioning aspect, imo.

Reactions: dduncan4163
With our D line concerns, the offense better be able to both score efficiently and play ball control when needed.
Chaney will get the ball out of JGs hand quicker and tap the potential of our big physical WRs.

D-Line depth is my big concern. If we avoid the injury bug I think they'll be a serviceable unit. A few injuries and we're in deep doodoo

Last edited:
Even if he can get the absolute most effort and have his unit commit minimal mistakes, the D line will not be able to go against SEC O lines. that unit is not ready for prime time from an experience and conditioning aspect, imo.
i think they can be average. That won't win us the East but no ones expecting that this season anyway. 7 or 8 wins is very doable imo

Chaney will get the ball out of JGs hand quicker and tap the potential of our big physical WRs.

D-Line depth is my big concern. If we avoid the injury bug I think they'll be a serviceable unit.

You may be right on both accounts, Hoss. I have more confidence in Chaney and the offense than I do the defense. On the defense which was not impressive at all last year, my big concern (like yours) is D line. Everything has to go our way for that unit to be serviceable against the big boys on our schedule.

D-Line depth is my big concern. If we avoid the injury bug I think they'll be a serviceable unit.

OL depth is also a major concern. Not only depth on both lines, but QUALITY depth.

More than DL?
I think the O-Line takes a big step foward this season. Quality depth is a huge concern though. Hopefully a year in a real S&C program will start paying off. We can be decent in the trenches if we avoid injuries. That's a big if but I'm a glass half full kind of guy. We're due a break Hoss.

Last edited:
Yes. Our DL will look better than they are because our secondary will be very strong in passing situations, and we have some real run stoppers at linebacker.

If our OL is exposed, then we can't run the ball and the defense will never get off the field so none of that will matter.

That is an interesting take on it. From a personnel, depth, experience, size, natural talent perspective, isn't our OL in better shape than the DL on paper?

I think the O-Line takes a big step foward this season. Quality depth is a huge concern though. Hopefully a year in a real S&C program will pay off. We can be decent in the trenches if we avoid injuries. That's a big if but I'm a glass half full kind of guy. We're due a break Hoss.
I can drink the OL Kool Aid more easily than the DL .

I think the O-Line takes a big step foward this season. Quality depth is a huge concern though. Hopefully a year in a real S&C program will pay off. We can be decent in the trenches if we avoid injuries. That's a big if but I'm a glass half full kind of guy. We're due a break Hoss.

I feel cautiously optimistic, but the whole season kind of rests on this question mark. With Chaney back the mythical "complementary football" Butch Jones gave lip service but no game plan to, well it might actually happen. If our OL stays healthy and hits their potential, 9-4 with a bowl win isn't crazy. If the wheels come off again then we could lose JG to injury and not even get to a bowl.

The work is being put in by these kids and coaches, and we are overdue for a break.

I also expect Chaney to call quick hitchs slants and outs. It keeps JG off his back. Takes stress off pass protection and lets our WRs use their big tall frames to power out yards.

Chaney is going to be worth every penny. The man knows how to get the most out of what he's got.

Dominick Wood-Anderson looks ready to make some noise at TE, too. 17 catches last year, but he might triple that this year.

How many wins are you expecting?

Right now, I have the 4 out of conference games as wins. I will add more as the season gets closer. I can say this, I am not as certain of a win in the SC, VU, Mizz, and UK games as some others are.

I have 3 losses right now; UGA, Bama, and UF.

Right now, I have the 4 out of conference games as wins. I will add more as the season gets closer. I can say this, I am not as certain of a win in the SC, VU, Mizz, and UK games as some others are.

I have 3 losses right now; UGA, Bama, and UF.
I can dig it.

I think the O-Line takes a big step foward this season. Quality depth is a huge concern though. Hopefully a year in a real S&C program will start paying off. We can be decent in the trenches if we avoid injuries. That's a big if but I'm a glass half full kind of guy. We're due a break Hoss.

I certainly hope the OL takes a major step forward this year. Because if not, the offense will continue to struggle mightily.

VN Store

Back