Great read on CJP

VOLFan65

Thought this was a great read. Shows not only a man who takes responsibility for how his team performs, but critiques himself as much as he critiques his players. Mods can merge if necessary.
Pruitt: Lukewarm player relationships were my fault

Off 247--Wes Rucker

HOOVER, Ala. — Jeremy Pruitt wasn’t kidding when he said he started his first offseason at Tennessee with a good, long look in the mirror.
He was awfully candid when disclosing the outcome, as well.
Tennessee’s head coach said in a side room during his Tuesday appearance at SEC Media Days that his well-intentioned focus on the long term didn’t help the short-term situation last season.
Pruitt blamed himself for the Vols’ 5-7 performance in his first season as a head coach and said things could have — and perhaps should have — would better if he’d kept his focus on the same place he’d always had it as an assistant coach. On his players.

I've been critical at times over the past 18 months but I'll give Pruitt credit. When he sees weaknesses, he addresses them.

His first staff was light on experience at the coordinator level, he goes out and hires an experienced OC
His first full class was a little light on the higher ranked in-state kids, it looks like that's more of a focus now
The first half of last year, we struggled at beginning and end of halves - that got better as season progressed
The last 2 games when the team partially quit - Pruitt recognizes that lukewarm player relationships may have led to that

Unlike the prior regime, he realizes trying to pound a square peg into a round hole isn't always gonna work.....

I've been critical at times over the past 18 months but I'll give Pruitt credit. When he sees weaknesses, he addresses them.

His first staff was light on experience at the coordinator level, he goes out and hires an experienced OC
His first full class was a little light on the higher ranked in-state kids, it looks like that's more of a focus now
The first half of last year, we struggled at beginning and end of halves - that got better as season progressed
The last 2 games when the team partially quit - Pruitt recognizes that lukewarm player relationships may have led to that

Unlike the prior regime, he realizes trying to pound a square peg into a round hole isn't always gonna work.....

He seems to have his finger on the pulse and knows what's going on. We just gotta wait and see, and hope, that it translates to the field. Really get excited thinking it might the beginning of something special.

I like it. For some reason I don't think I'll be hearing about how many players never made the trip to Gainesville or how many have never been on a plane.

Well there scooter, it's just one article, don't go gettin your hopes up cause you will be setting yourself up for that there disappointment that you haven't experienced in 10+ years and know very little about .

“We lose probably a couple of games because of mental errors, then we lose a couple of games probably because maybe we didn’t fight the way we needed to fight at the beginning of the year,” Pruitt said. “Then you go back and think, ‘Whose fault is that? It’s obviously my fault as the head football coach. Then you go back and look at the teams that I’ve been associated with, or the groups of men that I’ve coached over the years. That’s not the been trademark of teams that I’ve coached. We’ve played the right way. We’ve played smart. We didn’t beat ourselves.

When was the last time we heard that from a HC?

I feel very good about coach Pruitt and love his optimism about the future. I won't be surprised if they win a game or two they are not expected to win this year.

This is refreshing. I still think that hiring Pruitt was a bad move but he’ll be a really good head coach one day. It’s just going to take a lot of time.

This is refreshing. I still think that hiring Pruitt was a bad move but he’ll be a really good head coach one day. It’s just going to take a lot of time.

Dragging our feet on Mullen, trusting the Haslams and Currie, letting Gundy play us again, and trying to hire Schiano were bad moves.....

Critical most of the time would be more accurate. Nice post, good observation and spot on otherwise! He's also improved his interaction with the media. Old folks like me remember when CPF started out he was TERRIBLE with the media and now he works the media to a Tee sort to speak Pruitt will soon be doing the same thing. I've been critical of the 3 previous hires but am excited for the Vols future with CJP at the helm :)

Critical most of the time would be more accurate. Nice post, good observation and spot on otherwise! He's also improved his interaction with the media. Old folks like me remember when CPF started out he was TERRIBLE with the media and now he works the media to a Tee sort to speak Pruitt will soon be doing the same thing. I've been critical of the 3 previous hires but am excited for the Vols future with CJP at the helm :)

CJP has improved a little bit with the media but he's still awful but guess what, I don't give two sh-ts how he is with the media. Ultimately, his success will be how he does on the field - not whether Jimmy Hyams and John Adams like him. Bill Belichick and Nick Saban have never been great with the media and their fanbases dont mind....

He starting to write checks with his mouth. I like it. Had to happen at some point. We will see if this team is as far ahead as he is saying come Fall, like he mentioned, he will be measured by wins and losses.

Reactions: tennvols77

VN Store

Back